Y410P Stuttering in games

XUNB1

I've been searching around everywhere for someone who may have or had this issue online but I haven't found anything. Anyways, I bought the Y410P with the nVidia GT 750M back in late July and I downgraded to Windows 7 because I disliked 8. Since then, most 3D games I play such as L4D2, CS:GO, and League of Legends will stutter at random times or even freeze up for 3-8 seconds. I've noticed at times that the nVidia driver crashes on me when playing other games or doing other tasks that do not require intensive graphics processing. I do not think I've experienced any of these problems when I was on the stock Windows 8 OS that came with the laptop. Can anyone help me out?

Currently running the latest WHQL drivers (331.82).

Hey XUNB1,

I run 7 Pro 64 Bit and have no issues. I'm running a Y510p SLI though. I downgraded for the same reasons. Forget that Windows 8 mess :D

Back to your issue - I'm not 100% sure what may be causing this but there are some things I'd try. The first thing I'd do is make sure that you aren't running out of ram. It's possible that you might be running out of ram and writing to page file. That sounds unlikely though given the crashes that you're having. Still check it out though.

You might also have a bad hard drive. Maybe. Once upon a time I had a computer that did shit like this. It's in a landfill now :cold2:

I play L4D2 and don't have the issues that you're having. The next thing I'd try is uninstalling the display driver, restarting, cleaning your registry with something like CCleaner, restarting again and then installing the freshest driver. If that doesn't work, do the same thing over again but install the previous driver.

Speaking of, has this always happened? Is it new? And btw are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Have you tried closing all background programs?

Have you sacrificed any animals and smeared their blood across the bezel?

Do pray tell.

• 1 month later...

I got solution for you... got the same strange problem but i knew that it worked before... so i reverted every change I made. Came out that the power manager shipped with this notebook was to blame. No matter which performance profile was chosen I always got stutter like you described. Just uninstall and be happy!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey XUNB1,

I run 7 Pro 64 Bit and have no issues. I'm running a Y510p SLI though. I downgraded for the same reasons. Forget that Windows 8 mess :D

Back to your issue - I'm not 100% sure what may be causing this but there are some things I'd try. The first thing I'd do is make sure that you aren't running out of ram. It's possible that you might be running out of ram and writing to page file. That sounds unlikely though given the crashes that you're having. Still check it out though.

You might also have a bad hard drive. Maybe. Once upon a time I had a computer that did shit like this. It's in a landfill now :cold2:

I play L4D2 and don't have the issues that you're having. The next thing I'd try is uninstalling the display driver, restarting, cleaning your registry with something like CCleaner, restarting again and then installing the freshest driver. If that doesn't work, do the same thing over again but install the previous driver.

Speaking of, has this always happened? Is it new? And btw are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Have you tried closing all background programs?

Have you sacrificed any animals and smeared their blood across the bezel?

Do pray tell.

I'm pretty sure I'm not running out of RAM. I noticed that my graphics driver likes to crash periodically when I'm playing LoL. As for CSGO, whenever it locks up I notice that the process is "Not responding" in the task manager.

I bought my laptop back in July last year, 64 bit.

Yes and no :(.

I got solution for you... got the same strange problem but i knew that it worked before... so i reverted every change I made. Came out that the power manager shipped with this notebook was to blame. No matter which performance profile was chosen I always got stutter like you described. Just uninstall and be happy!

I'll try this and update later, thanks!

P.S: You mean Energy management right?

On the note of energy management: you can still keep the program, but make sure you are using the "Maximum Battery Life" setting. If you choose "Optimized Battery Health," the computer will often throttle the GPU (much like being on battery-only)

Okay, I tried uninstalling Lenovo Energy Management and it did not help. The stutter and freeze-ups were still prevalent. I did some testing to see if it was the games' or hardware's' problem. I set CS:GO and LoL to my Integrated Graphics Processor and there were no stutters/freeze-ups as opposed to when using the Nvidia GPU. Does anyone have insight on this? I have contacted Lenovo about this and they insist it's game's fault.

Okay, I tried uninstalling Lenovo Energy Management and it did not help. The stutter and freeze-ups were still prevalent. I did some testing to see if it was the games' or hardware's' problem. I set CS:GO and LoL to my Integrated Graphics Processor and there were no stutters/freeze-ups as opposed to when using the Nvidia GPU. Does anyone have insight on this? I have contacted Lenovo about this and they insist it's game's fault.

I have the same exact issue as you do, but on my Lenovo Y580. I'll play games that I should be able to run with no issues, but I get these weird stutters or moments where my laptop doesn't respond and all input fails to be read. I'm still trying to figure out why it's doing this, but no luck so far. I'm hoping it's just something wrong with software, will let you know if I can find anything out.

Might be throttling issue? What temps you have at full load?

Use high performance power mode

Download throttleStop and test wich multiplier works better my i7 i use it at 26x (2600mhz) 3400mhz get temp too high and games start sttutering

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update to the status of the situation.

I sent my Lenovo Y410P to repair under warranty last friday and got it back yesterday. They said they replaced the motherboard and updated the BIOS version to v3.05, and played CSGO today with no problems whatsoever! Hope it doesn't happen again.

I had this issue as well, though on my Y510p. It only happened to me while I was on battery, which meant my power settings changed to operate in "unplugged" mode. It is indeed an issue with the "Lenovo Power Management" software. You can try uninstalling it, but I'd recommend playing around with the settings along with windows power options settings. Since I was able to get the choppiness to go away with changing settings, there might be need for concern if you try many setting combinations without improvement.

For those of you who have uninstalled the software suite and are still having issues, I think it's because the "Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller" is still installed.

Try going into device manager > System Devices and uninstalling it.