How can I disable MSR lock? unlocked bios does not work.

godfafa

my m17x r4 does not allow to change tdp<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->hello i am in the dark TT.

i am trying to oc my 3820qm and i've done it. But i want to keep the turbo mode more than 56sec(long power timewindow).

i have done everything to solve this on my m17x r4.

i've changed bios from a05 stock and a05 unlocked to a11 unlocked and a13 stock, and even installed every version of xtu and TS.

The problem is it screen looks like tdp is changed in the bios, xtu and TS.

However cpu never uses more than 55w and then after like 56sec it throttles down to 45w(that is 3.4ghz)

i have disabled msr lock, changed short/long limit to 75(and even higher) and changed timewindow to 56sec(and higher too). But nothing seems to help me.

People say they can run r4 at max turbo clock all day and i also have seen one of those screenshot.

For me, it works as if msr lock isn't unlocked.

Is there any way I can solve this? or is it just non-XM CPU's capability or even m17x's capability?

i am trying to oc my 3820qm and i've done it. But i want to keep the turbo mode more than 56sec(long power timewindow).

i've changed bios from a05 stock and a05 unlocked to a11 unlocked and a13 stock, and even installed every version of xtu and TS.

However cpu never uses more than 55w and then after like 56sec it throttles down to 45w(that is 3.4ghz)

i have disabled msr lock, changed short/long limit to 75(and even higher) and changed timewindow to 56sec(and higher too). But nothing seems to help me.

People say they can run r4 at max turbo clock all day and i also have seen one of those screenshot.

Is there any way I can solve this? or is it just non-XM CPU's capability or even m17x's capability?

You can raise your TDP by 10 watts with your CPU. I'm thinking maybe when seeing a value more than 10 over default it may be throwing it out and running default. Try just setting 10 or less higher.

Also many programs can change your TDP. XTU can and TS can, possibly more. Even if not "on", TS will change settings when it is started. Make sure you either don't run TS, or have the values set properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can raise your TDP by 10 watts with your CPU. I'm thinking maybe when seeing a value more than 10 over default it may be throwing it out and running default. Try just setting 10 or less higher.

Also many programs can change your TDP. XTU can and TS can, possibly more. Even if not "on", TS will change settings when it is started. Make sure you either don't run TS, or have the values set properly.

Thanks for your reply.

Long power 45w and short 55w is the defalut setting of the QM CPUs. Are you refering to this defalut setting (TDP by 10 watts)?

If so, is QM CPU never allowed to use more than 55w?

Or do you mean long 55w and short 65w which is 10w higher than defalut setting?

I have done not running TS too but nothing makes my R4 run like the values i put on in the bios nor in the XTU.

• 2 years later...
On 28/12/2013 at 6:48 AM, godfafa said:

Hello godfafa . How did you disable the MSR lock? I am trying my best to edit the RAPL power limits using the MSR reg 0x610 (MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT). I am using a Haswell processor. I have tried using the wrmsr command with root privileges. I also tried using the intel power_governor tool but that too did not work.I have also tried using the /sys/class/powercap/intel-rapl files to change the power limits but it throws error when i commit the changes. Lastly, I tried to change the lock bit (Bit 63) using the intel_rapl module. I used the rapl_write_raw_data function to try and edit the lock bit but that too didn't work. It does not throw any error so I am quite stuck. I wish to regulate the powerlimits freely in user mode. Please guide me. Thanks!