the max a 9.5mm caddy can support is the 500GB, for a 750 GB or a 1TB you would need the 12.5 mm caddy , which is already to big for the M14x :(

http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/725-samsung-introduces-1tb-spinpoint-m8-mobile-drive-%2A%2A9-5mm%2A%2A.html#post8103

Incredible how fast technology changes :D

• Thumbs Up 1

@Alex - There is a difference between 7200 and 5400 rpm drives. Throughput is something like 80-110 for the 7200 and 60-80 for the 5400. Battery life is always going to decrease with any extra hardware that's added and utilized.

Think of it this way. If your notebook has an absolute max battery life with nothing enabled except the LCD at lowest level of 7 hours. Anything you enable takes away from it. So, enable wifi and now you have 6.5 hours. Enable sound and now you have 6.0 hours. Enable 3 settings brighter in LCD and now you have 4.5 hours. Run a DVDrom off the optical port and now you have 3.0 hours of estimated battery life. ...etc... etc.. etc...

I dont think anyone has done a complete (what if) scenario for the m14x for battery. It just takes too much time and of course you don't get to fully utilize your notebook while running the tests. For performance with max battery savings it's recommended to use SSD.

Best Wishes,

StevenX

• 3 months later...

hi nice guilde :-) .

sorry if i make mistake but english is not my main language .

i have just bought a m14x and i would like to add to it my ssd intel 320 of 120gb .

i intend to install on it an operating system like linux ..... (against the chart to say which one )

do you guys please know if there's any hdd bay that would be able to make my ssd ride fast and beeing able to have an other operating system runing on it? i mean sata 2 , because i have been looking around and it seems like the optical port works only on sata 1 , does anybody pls succesfully made it works sata2 ? and beeing able to have an other operating system runing on it?

Edited by camel

• 9 months later...

So I see that installing an SSD in the caddy was discussed but did anyone give it a try. For awhile I had a 240GB SSD as my primary drive and a 500GB harddrive in the caddy. I must note that I used a Seagate drive that had jumpers to get past the issue with the drive going to sleep during extended data transfers. The first drive I tried in the caddy was a Wester Digital Blue? but that one would go to sleep after awhile and thats when I read about using the Seagates. In any case, I purchased a much larger SSD drive not that prices are dropping and would like to stick my 240 GB in the caddy. I know that speeds are limited to SATA I speeds but for those that did this, did your SSD "go to sleep" during extended data transfers?

• 1 month later...
So I see that installing an SSD in the caddy was discussed but did anyone give it a try. For awhile I had a 240GB SSD as my primary drive and a 500GB harddrive in the caddy. I must note that I used a Seagate drive that had jumpers to get past the issue with the drive going to sleep during extended data transfers. The first drive I tried in the caddy was a Wester Digital Blue? but that one would go to sleep after awhile and thats when I read about using the Seagates. In any case, I purchased a much larger SSD drive not that prices are dropping and would like to stick my 240 GB in the caddy. I know that speeds are limited to SATA I speeds but for those that did this, did your SSD "go to sleep" during extended data transfers?

That is a good question and i hope someone with this setup can answer that. Some of the bios may have an hd option or rather unlocked bios may have setting pertaining to power savings on various ports ie sata, pci etc

• 3 weeks later...

Did this mod for a buddy of mine a while back..... I see other people are doing this as well, awesome! I didn't even bother to search and see if someone did this at the time, but I winged it in less than 10 minutes with this mod. Quick and simple :)

• 3 weeks later...

You'll rarely see the full 3gb/s in normal use and then only from the fastest (read: most expensive) SSDs. You definitely won't get that from the Agility 3 outside of benchmarks. The real performance killer is mechanical latency. Swap in a SSD and latency mostly goes away. In practice it won't matter much which SATA port you use unless you go with the high-end Crucial models that will use the full 3gb/s bandwidth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed an SSD as my secondary drive shortly after getting my m14x, but I kept getting BSODs so I moved the SSD to the main drive and made my regular drive external. This seemed to have helped, but now I'm having issues again so I'm going to try the A08 w/ SATA fix BIOS (once I have the ability to download things).

Hello,

I followed the tutorial (very great, thank you !) and installed my second hard disk sucessfully. However, recently I noticed than really often my second hard drive (the original one) "disapear' during usage of the computer and so I do have to restart the system and It will show up again. I do think I installed it correctly otherwise it wouldnt show up at all right ? Thank you ifyou have any advices....