Looking for a Laptop that I can use for my work

Kneliking

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I hope someone can help me. I have little idea about hardware stuff and I am planning to purchase a laptop that can handle programs like 3D Studio max, Photoshop and probably high end gaming. I was hoping somebody can give me ideas on which product is the best for this matter.

Thank you in advance!

13 answers to this question

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Check for the video card in the first place, as it tends to be the bottleneck in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My budget is around $700. The problem is I have no idea about the hardware stuffs and I don't know what exactly to look for when it comes to video cards.

My budget is around $700. The problem is I have no idea about the hardware stuffs and I don't know what exactly to look for when it comes to video cards.

$700 will not do high end gaming. Gaming laptops start at $1000 for one that will barely run AAA titles, to $1500 for a decent one, and $1800 and up for a good one.

For that price you might think of getting a old playstation or xbox and use the rest for a laptop.

What size are you looking for? Screen size and overall laptop size/weight. High end gaming at $700 is going to be a challenging find.

Even if it can do so well with high end gaming, it can do well for running 3d studio max for rendering 3d images. There's a lot more than goes into gaming performance than for business/design software. A good mid-tier, upper mid-tier GPU will do fine rendering 3D images for design/modeling work.

I don't use 3Ds Max, but from what I see they do recomend a opengl card, and Autodesk suggest the pro gpu cards, like Firepro and Quadro.

Try looking at the Lenovo y510. That is the low end gaming that is decent. Check the reviews out and see if anyone uses 3Ds Max on it. It is a bit more than your budget, but maybe you can find a deal.

What hardware do you use now, and does it work well?

I have a Y510p. If you're looking for something that's portable, look elsewhere. Of course, I also purchased a used thinkpad recently, and that runs really well, considering a few scratches for higher-end Sandy-Bridge power.

$700 will get you something OP, just avoid chips Intel chips that say "U" or "Y" at the end and you'll get some beef.

just avoid chips Intel chips that say "U" or "Y" at the end and you'll get some beef.

I wish I know more about this. I don't currently own a laptop. I have a desktop that does that job just fine but I'm planning to be mobile as I work home-based so I will need something that I can carry anywhere without any trouble.

check out the eurocom M3. powerful little 13.3" laptop with an ips screen. can be had with

i5 4200m

8gb ddr3 ram

gtx 765m

seagte hybrid 500gb hdd/ssd

backlit keyboard

after 10% off coupon $825 It's extremely portable with decent battery life and the price is al least near what you are looking to spend

I agree, the Lenovo ideapad Y series is a fantastic choice. I'm not too fond of the windows 8 UI, but you can usually install windows 7 drivers even if Lenovo doesn't have them on their website. The laptop is powerful, has a wonderful GPU, plenty of memory, great i7 processor, and a good resolution screen. If you want to boost the performance past there, I'd get a SSD card for the msata slot, a second graphics card, and a hybrid hard drive for storing images or movies. The machine feels solid in your hands, and is really quite pleasant to work with.

You could grab a IVB 12" HP 2570P off ebay, add a i7-quad into it and a GTX560Ti/GTX660Ti eGPU within budget. Would be portable and significantly outbench any gaming box you could get for $700. Business grade materials too plus you'd get NBD warranty to maximize uptime. See my sig if interested.

3D Studio max, Photoshop and probably high end gaming

Photoshop will run on integrated graphics for the most part, but 3DSMax is a bit different. I'd look at getting at least an nvidia gt640/740, but more likely you should get 650/750+.

My $0.02 is to look at getting a matte display if you plan to work outside in photoshop, or if you don't want ambient lighting to skew your results when you go to print.