Preparing to purchase a monitor for downsampling - suggestions?

far327

Hi all

I've been using my Dell U2410 to hit 3840x2160 for a while now. I'm hoping to use svl7's latest downsample bios for Titan to reach 5120x3200 or 5120x2880.

I've been looking at these two monitors currently...

Asus PB278Q 27" - ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27" 5ms (GTG) WQHD HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 300 cd/m2 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

Dell U3011 30" - Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" Black 7ms IPS-Panel Height, Swivel Adjustable Widescreen LCD Monitor 370 cd/m2 DC 100,000:1 (1000:1) - Newegg.com

The dell u3011 30" I can get for $700 which sounds like a pretty good price for that monitor.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

• Founder

Do you have an AMD or NVIDIA GPU? Second, what are your criteria besides resolution for a new monitor? For example, input lag, color gamut, g-sync support, panel type? There's a huge variety of monitors you can pick from each with their own pros and cons. If you are a hardcore gamer that owns an NVIDIA GPU, I'd wait on G-Sync monitors in Q3 2014 (or grab the 24" Asus that supports it now). If you don't care to wait for g-sync and aren't a hardcore gamer, then I'd avoid TN and stick with a quality IPS panel.

Now that is where opinions become divided - some people prefer an IPS panel that covers most of the NTSC color gamut (.e.g. 90%+) while others like me prefer displays that cover the adobe color gamut. The ones that cover the adobe color gamut are typically meant for professional use and require specific apps to take advantage of their color profiles. But in day to day use, I find using a quality display with adobe rgb coverage far more pleasing than one that only does well with NTSC color gamut. The colors appear more saturated but you also get better color/shadow gradation in games based on experience--even if the game wasn't designed to take advantage of it.

The Dell U3011 is ok but you should read up some reviews on it. Dell has been notoriously bad with shipping defective panels in their latest displays (lots of light bleed, yellowing etc) where there's some that exchanged them 5-6 times to get a good one. Asus is the same story, their 27" panels are mediocre quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Brian

I'm looking for great color accuracy. White whites, deep black levels. I'm not a photoshop editor or anything, but my main hobby is creating ENB configurations and doing screenarchery with downsampling.

So ideally, an IPS display or quality equivalent that can really downsample well. Price point is $700 or below for me at the moment.

I wasn't crazy about the Dell U3011 because I think it's a bit dated. Display Port v1.0 I believe.

My current Dell has Adobe Color Gamut settings in the OSD. I've found that I really enjoy working with SRGB and Adobe RGB.

I also have a 47inch LG TV (LM7600) that surprisingly has great color accuracy and deep blacks. Its an IPS panel, but I prefer a tighter DPI found in a smaller display. Especially for downsampling.

Ideally, I'd like the look of the LG IPS panels. However, Adobe RGB / SRGB coverage is also something I would like like as well.

Not sure if LG has monitors with Adobe RGB coverage or not...

• Founder
Hi Brian

I'm looking for great color accuracy. White whites, deep black levels. I'm not a photoshop editor or anything, but my main hobby is creating ENB configurations and doing screenarchery with downsampling.

So ideally, an IPS display or quality equivalent that can really downsample well. Price point is $700 or below for me at the moment.

I wasn't crazy about the Dell U3011 because I think it's a bit dated. Display Port v1.0 I believe.

My current Dell has Adobe Color Gamut settings in the OSD. I've found that I really enjoy working with SRGB and Adobe RGB.

I also have a 47inch LG TV (LM7600) that surprisingly has great color accuracy and deep blacks. Its an IPS panel, but I prefer a tighter DPI found in a smaller display. Especially for downsampling.

Ideally, I'd like the look of the LG IPS panels. However, Adobe RGB / SRGB coverage is also something I would like like as well.

Not sure if LG has monitors with Adobe RGB coverage or not...

Oh LG does indeed have a monitor with adobe RGB, check my signature :D After trying several brands of monitors (including Dell, Viewsonic, Korean knock offs etc) I found LG had the best picture by far. Input lag is very good and there's not much ghosting, it's 1440p with 100% Adobe RGB coverage and has a mode for sRGB that is quite accurate. Unfortunately because the monitor has been discontinued (it was released in 2013!), the current price is $999 and shows no signs of going down. LG hasn't brought out a replacement model either. A Dell monitor that uses the same panel (but not as good circuitry IMO or QA) is Dell U2713H which is worth looking into.

The problem with some of Dell's recent panels is the screen coating can create a blurry effect for the text which I really hate. The finish on the LG is perfect, probably one of the best I've seen on any consumer monitor, it's a shame it didn't catch on in the market due to LG's poor marketing. You should look into Viewsonic's 27" models, the VP2770 in particular which is very nice (no adobe RGB). If you can come up with $300 more, this Viewsonic model blows it away: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZSUVHU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EZSUVHU&linkCode=as2&tag=m17wik-20

Just like that... I purchased lg 27ea83-d. In the store it was obviously the best monitor on display. Whether or not I keep it depends on its downsampling abilities. Can anyone suggest some good timings for downsampling to reach 5120x2880?

I have to say though. this monitor is by far the highest quality display I've seen! The SRBG is spot on! I worked the price down to $850. :)

Just like that... I purchased lg 27ea83-d. In the store it was obviously the best monitor on display. Whether or not I keep it depends on its downsampling abilities. Can anyone suggest some good timings for downsampling to reach 5120x2880?

I have to say though. this monitor is by far the highest quality display I've seen! The SRBG is spot on! I worked the price down to $850. :)

Didn't so happen to accidentally buy two? ;p

Looked into this display today, so very nice.

I'unno anything about timings or downsampling so can't help ya there.

I'm guessing you agree it's worth the price premium?

See a few of them on eBay for decently cheap.

• Founder

Awesome, congrats! I personally love the display, have had it for about 8 months now and I like it as much as the day I bought it. I haven't tried downsampling so I won't be able to help you with that. The price you got is pretty good, I paid $1000 for mine when I got it at Fry's. :) Just so you know, you can go to LG's website and buy a warranty extension for $60. I did that and I think it's 3 years now.