Should I sell my Titans and grab 2 x 780 Ti?

Brian

Should I sell the Titans and grab 2 x 780 Ti?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I sell the Titans and grab 2 x 780 Ti?

• Yeah, 780 Ti is worth it! Don't worry about VRAM.
    • No way, Titan's extra VRAM will come in use in the near future.
    • Not sure myself.
    • Other: See reply.

• Founder

So my craving for new hardware is back in full swing and I kind of want to sell my Titans and grab a pair of 780 Ti. Thing is, while I may gain 1 SMX and a newer revision, I lose out on the 6 GB vram. I run at 1440p and usually with AA cranked up and i've seen BF4 use up to 3 GB VRAM on some levels. So that makes me worried that with these new consoles out in full swing, developers may start pushing out games that easily eat up 3 GB of VRAM and I'll soon have to start turning down AA or worse yet resort to FXAA (ugh). So keep the Titans or go for it? Vote + leave your responses here.

I say stay with titans and compare highly detailed pictures of resistor pull-ups/pull-downs on titan and 780 ti cards to see which combo is responsible for the 15th smx being off. Rumor has it laser cuts are not used anymore :)

I did the same for my 680m vs 780m, but unfortunately the card was dead at the time anyway due to other reasons so I could not test it. I did find only 3 sets of differences though. All pads that had a resistor on the 680m but lacked one on the 780m were present on the 780m, and vice verse, so I really think I did find the core config pull-ups and just needed to swap 2-3 resistors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, as soon as there's a 6GB version of the Titan Brian will grab some anyway, hahahaha.

I say stay with titans and compare highly detailed pictures of resistor pull-ups/pull-downs on titan and 780 ti cards to see which combo is responsible for the 15th smx being off. Rumor has it laser cuts are not used anymore :)

I did the same for my 680m vs 780m, but unfortunately the card was dead at the time anyway due to other reasons so I could not test it. I did find only 3 sets of differences though. All pads that had a resistor on the 680m but lacked one on the 780m were present on the 780m, and vice verse, so I really think I did find the core config pull-ups and just needed to swap 2-3 resistors.

Do you really think that could work? The additional SMX would need to be functional as well...

Pics can be found at TPU: Titan front / back and 780 Ti front / back

I'd be tempted to try a possible mod, hahaha.

I don't have a 680m anymore, else that would have been an interesting project :) Keep in mind that some of the resistors are also used for the hardstraps and device ID.

Well, as soon as there's a 6GB version of the Titan Brian will grab some anyway, hahahaha.

Do you really think that could work? The additional SMX would need to be functional as well...

Pics can be found at TPU: Titan front / back and 780 Ti front / back

I'd be tempted to try a possible mod, hahaha.

I don't have a 680m anymore, else that would have been an interesting project :) Keep in mind that some of the resistors are also used for the hardstraps and device ID.

If I fixed my 680m I definitely would have tried it. Both the 680m and titan were released with no higher card requiring the disabled SMX to be on, so that means many fully functional cores shipped with an SMX disabled. I'm also not sure about laser cuts no longer being done though. Those are reversible too if you have a very VERY good eye (was done years ago with 9800 mobility radeon), but a resistor swap is much easier and safer. One thing that makes me doubt that laser cuts are no longer done are if SMX are disabled due to defects, there would be too many combinations to have for pull-up and pull-downs to fit on a little mxm card. Someone could just swap a 780m core onto a 680m and see what happens... then we have our answer, but wow that would be a really disappointing mod to find out that laser cuts aren't used :playful:

Also makes me curious on what would happen if you do accidentally change the device ID.

If I fixed my 680m I definitely would have tried it. Both the 680m and titan were released with no higher card requiring the disabled SMX to be on, so that means many fully functional cores shipped with an SMX disabled. I'm also not sure about laser cuts no longer being done though. Those are reversible too if you have a very VERY good eye (was done years ago with 9800 mobility radeon), but a resistor swap is much easier and safer. One thing that makes me doubt that laser cuts are no longer done are if SMX are disabled due to defects, there would be too many combinations to have for pull-up and pull-downs to fit on a little mxm card. Someone could just swap a 780m core onto a 680m and see what happens... then we have our answer, but wow that would be a really disappointing mod to find out that laser cuts aren't used :playful:

Also makes me curious on what would happen if you do accidentally change the device ID.

If I had piles of money, I would certainly fund you for your wacky/insane projects.... *goes out to win lottery*

Has there been any modern card post-9800 mobility radeon that a hardware mod could essentially upgrade it to a higher model? Or do you think the 680m -> 780m and Titan -> 780Ti being the next best bet?

----

I'd stick with the Titans due to the larger VRAM. Especially since some crazy folk like MikjoA can use over 5GB VRAM in Skyrim. That moment might be coming soon for non-over-the-top modded games.

Depends on how much you can sell them for. GTX 780 Ti is more cost-effective.

However, Titans do not sell for a lot these days, so you won't make a lot of cash on the sale... And performance-wise the difference is negligible.

I would recommend to stay put and enjoy your cards. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can sell those Titans, for basically the same price as the 780Ti goes for, then you will notice a performance jump for sure. I would do it! The extra VRAM will only matter if you are running triple screen or 4K, and even then, you will most likely not hit the limit.... check out this review:

HARDOCP - Conclusion - GeForce GTX 780 Ti vs. Radeon R9 290X 4K Gaming

Quote: "In all of our testing today, we tried to look for the differences between 3GB and 4GB of VRAM while gaming. We encountered no scenarios in these games where the 3GB of VRAM on the GTX 780 Ti was holding it back at Ultra HD 4K gaming. We also encountered no scenarios where the 4GB was an advantage on the R9 290X."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Titan is also superior for gpgpu/cuda work. The 780Ti (and the older 780) has a 1/8 clock divider for FP64 calculations. Out of the box, the Titan has this divider enabled also, but it can be restored to normal speed within the windows driver.

The argument for selling might well be that the Titan is still reselling at good prices on ebay and you'll suffer less depreciation with the 780TIs. Nvidia are going to start blabbing about the 800 series soon which will devalue the resale price for the Titan as people hold off waiting for the newest thing. As a stopgap before the 800 they might even do a 780TI with 6GB which would knock down the Titan resale price even more. So if you are going to sell, you'd be wise to do it asap or keep them until the end of the year when you can get a really good bump up with a Maxwell.

• 4 weeks later...

I would stick with the Titans, mainly for the reason of having more VRam, which seems like alot more games are starting to take adventage of, between the higher screen resolutions coming up and these high res texture packs that alot of Dev's are starting to put out.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a GTX 680 and got the Titan right away when it came out 'cause of the 6 GB VRAM. It allowed me to run 3DMark Fire Strike in 6K.

SOOO if you are only "Ultra HD", sell. For 4K HD: Borderline, depends on the game. If you use mods fore higher texture resolutions: Get a second Titan.

The 780 ti is faster than your Titan but you will have more than efficient gaming performance with your Titan. I would stick with your Titan since you most likely wouldn't be able to sell them for as much as they are worth with the release of the ti. I would then what till the Maxwell cards come out and upgrade then if you wish. Your titan's sell price will drop drastically though once Maxwell arrives as a warning.