8970M Overclock Help!

Spoderman

Hi, i'd like to say thank you to everyone who frequents this forum, you're really helpful :)

I do infact have a problem, i have a Clevo P150SM, with an i7 4700MQ, 2x4GB 1600mhz, 120GB Samsung Evo SSD, and a 8970m!

I've tried to research this particular problem, with little sucess, so here's the deal:

I'm sorta of an entusiast about OC's and things, so, as the Prema Bios for the SM come along, i would like to test and benchmark my GPU!

I get pretty good temps actually, 55ºC on the CPU, playing for 1 hour, and GPU doesn't pass 78ºC (with all maxed out, no v-syinc), while playing, and the fans at the passive default mode!

With MSI Afterburner, i can push the Core clock, upto 1000mhz with no crash on furmark, after that, it starts crashing on 3DMARK 11 (not furmark nor any other game tho???).

So i can max out the core clock (1050mhz) and can play with that pretty stabely-ish! (i think 3dmark hates me).

But, I CAN'T overclock the memory clock, as a matter of fact, i can't even unclock that, as soon as i touch it * booop* freeze!

I've installed many OC software, Trixx showed me that my core clock was at about 1.025 (ou 1.040, can't remember), but i couldn't overclock even the core clock, on any software, only the Afterburner allowed me!

I'm asking for your help guys, because im kinda of a noob when it comes to vbios and those kinda of things.. i don't want to wreck this pc :)

To fill you guys a little more, on the bios, i've fucked up really hard, i made a "load bios defaults" and that changed the layout of the bios loading at the boot, but it's still the same version as it was before!

BIOS VERSION: 1.00.03

EC/FIRMWARE VERSION: 1.00.05

I do believe these are the versions, i'm lazy to check right now :3

If anyone can help me with the GPU-oc thingy, i would be really really REALLY glad :D

Thanks!

Edit: I MAY have noticed that it's the 8970m vbios blocking the memory overclock... because every single one of the 8970m's i've searched are memory clock blocked too...

Try following:

Launch registry editor (regedit) and search for a string "ulps". The editor should find a number of entries titled "EnableUlps" with values set to 1. Change the values to 0 in all of them (there should be 4 entries like that IIRC). See if that helps. Use it only together with "UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2" in MSIAfterburner.cfg.

Try following:

Launch registry editor (regedit) and search for a string "ulps". The editor should find a number of entries titled "EnableUlps" with values set to 1. Change the values to 0 in all of them (there should be 4 entries like that IIRC). See if that helps. Use it only together with "UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2" in MSIAfterburner.cfg.

Beware that the above registry edit will temporarily destroy your battery life, but you can revert easily by changing the regedit entry back. Turing ULPS on/off requires a restart or disable/renable of the 8970m in the device manager.

Also you might only have 1 EnableUlps entry.

Good luck!

Try following:

Possibly a LOT more than 4. Be sure to search the entire registry and change all of them. Don't stop at 4. I always used to have like 15 to 20 EnableUlps keys that needed the 1 changed to a 0 in a CrossFire system, so I would expect to find 8 to 10 in a single GPU system. The important thing is not how many there are... what is most important is to not miss any.

Possibly a LOT more than 4. Be sure to search the entire registry and change all of them. Don't stop at 4. I always used to have like 15 to 20 EnableUlps keys that needed the 1 changed to a 0 in a CrossFire system, so I would expect to find 8 to 10 in a single GPU system. The important thing is not how many there are... what is most important is to not miss any.

It's only 1 entry that actually matters. An entry is added each time you reinstall the video driver or change hardware or something similar. Old unused registry settings for the previous driver install are not deleted.

SpeedyGonzalez at NBR made that comment back when 7970M CF was the latest and greatest GPU and I tested the theory. I did a clean install of Windows, installed the first AMD driver and instantly had about 14 or 15 EnableUlps registry keys that needed the 1 changed to a 0. (I tried to find where I posted that in response to Speedy's comment and could not locate it.) I also used to notice that, after updating drivers, numerous registry keys that I had already changed previously reverted back to a 1, so I wonder why that would be if all but one registry key was obsolete remnants from a previous driver installation.

I haven't used 7970M CF for more than a year. Maybe it's different with newer AMD drivers than it used to be, but the most important thing is to locate every one of them and change them all... it doesn't matter which one or how many as long as all of them are changed. If you miss the one or two that matters, it won't work correctly.

SpeedyGonzalez at NBR made that comment back when 7970M CF was the latest and greatest GPU and I tested the theory. I did a clean install of Windows, installed the first AMD driver and instantly had about 14 or 15 EnableUlps registry keys that needed the 1 changed to a 0. (I tried to find where I posted that in response to Speedy's comment and could not locate it.) I also used to notice that, after updating drivers, numerous registry keys that I had already changed previously reverted back to a 1, so I wonder why that would be if all but one registry key was obsolete remnants from a previous driver installation.

I haven't used 7970M CF for more than a year. Maybe it's different with newer AMD drivers than it used to be, but the most important thing is to locate every one of them and change them all... it doesn't matter which one or how many as long as all of them are changed. If you miss the one or two that matters, it won't work correctly.

Interesting. I only had a single entry until I did a driver update and CPU swap at the same time. After that I had 2 entries, with 1 having no effect.

Maybe newer AMD drivers don't dump redundant registry settings everywhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello once again! Yes, i haven't forgot you guys!

Since it's christmas, why not try to destroy my awesome PC?

So let's have it, i've done all the things you said above.

I only have 2 ulps entries, i've changed them both to 0, and changed msi unofficial overclocking to 2.

No change here, still crashes everytime i overclock.

BUT, i CAN downclock! So, keeping that in mind, im 99% sure that only a custom vbios will solve my problem. And that's the same with custom voltages!

I've overclocked my i7 4700mq to 3.6ghz, thanks to Prema (thanks man!) AND at the same time, undervolted 50mV!

I've kept the adaptative voltage, just changed the offset to -50mV, really handy this feature.

I have about 83ºC with full fan speed on prime95, if i disable the full fan speed, it's really quite stupid what happens. The temps go to 91ºC, at that temperature, the fans go full speed, so it'll cool down to about 86ºC, where the fans get quieter again, so the temp goes back up to 91... and so forth and so on... But, 83ºC on this CPU is really amazing!

Playing games, Crysis 3, it goes around the 70-74ºC mark. On Team Fortress 2, it keeps it at around 60ºC (that's REALLY good!)

The GPU, at 900MHz, playing Crysis 3, 78ºC, if it reachs the 80ºC mark, it's only for a quick second, i've only seen it hitting 80ºC for a few minutes while i was playing Skyrim with 30+ only visual mods, but that's another story. On Team fortress, GPU is at 68ºC.

If i overclock to about 1000Mhz, the temps really are about the same, at most they'll suffer a 3ºC increase, and what's 81-82ºC while playing Crysis 3, when some people struggle to keep it under 95ºC!

I guess im really lucky with the temperatures on my machine, i haven't modded it in any way, it's with the stock thermal paste. I only have 2 rubbers under the 2 rear supports, to keep the airflow better, while aiding my writing skills!

But, regarding the 8970M problem (which i've researched, and found that other people with the same GPU on the Clevo's can't OC the memory as well.

I leave here some information about the GPU = [url=http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/zasz3sxzv1sidts/gpu-z.png

The vBios version, as you can see, is the 015.032.000.003.044465 (BR44465.003) one.

Happy Holidays Folks! Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, i'll leave an update here.

Looking into the thread [GUIDE] AMD HD7970M with Enduro vbios modify and flashing (For P1x0EM and etc)

I was able to find the Clock (900Mhz) and the memory clock (1250Mhz), so i can change them through a vBios update.

But i never tried, im kinda afraid i'll just brick the system, and that's not a possibility for me.

So, for someone looking into overclocking a 8970M, this thread has some nice info,

Cya guys!