P375SM/P370SM - Win8.1 BIOS with 8970

John Keel

Here´s something weird that is happening in all P375SM with dual 8970M.

After installing the new BIOS/EC/EC2 for Windows 8.1 compatibility (the NEW FW 1.03.01) i´ve noticed that if you enable Secure Boot the display won´t turn on anymore.

I can clearly see that the laptop is booting but i get no image.

While enable and disabling UEFI won´t cause this, enabling secure boot will.

I tried 3 different laptops, got the same result.

There´s no way i can restore this with the usual procedures, remove battery, clear cmos, remove memory, bios recovery.

The only solution is installing a NVIDIA card (765/770/780) go to bios disable secure boot and then install 8970M again.

I´m currently trying to find out if this is a problem with my BIOS files or something else. I think i seen some other user complaining about this and he actually sent is unit back to warranty.

I´ll keep testing and ill let you all know what i found out.

So if you got P375SM with dual 8970M don´t update to new FW just yet if you have AMD.

Give me a sec and ill upload it.

I do have BR44618.001.ROM for P370SM, which probably solves this issue, i was going to test it now.

The problems is all the clients who don´t have that version installed, and will probably update their BIOS and pufff, no image, i smell a lot of RMAs. There should be a VBIOS update / Warning in the CLEVO Bios latest FW update package, and there isn´t any.

Yes, most likely. I don't think I have that version, can you send me a copy? Then I can easily tell you whether it's caused by the vbios, and possibly provide an alternative version.

Here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/158457984/BACKUP.ROM

Going to test with BR44618.001.ROM

I will be right back with the results!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok so, the P375SM card does have a label saying: BR44616.001

But the VBIOS was updated to BR44618.001.ROM before shipped to us.

And i can confirm, no SECURE BOOT with BR44618.001.ROM

Anyone knows of a more recent version?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, the BR44618.001 I have here contains everything that's required for secure boot... well unless it isn't signed. :D

BR44450.007 would be another version that should work.

Well i reflashed with P370SM BR44618.001, it´s the same, no image, from the moment i turn on the PC, this machine has no HDD at the moment, i didn´t even started installing the OS. Tried activating the Secure boot with standard keys and with custom keys... no image, i can only make this units work if i turn off secure boot or if i place an NVIDIA card.

Reason being the BIOS forcing to load UEFI (GOP) part of vBIOS, so if that is non-existent as in the old v.001 then it won't boot.

v001 is NOT the recommended vBIOS for these models, just use one of the newer ones v3, v5, or v7+

On a side note, my Mod will have an option to disable that, which is also mandatory for everyone who wants to use any modded vBIOS.

Reason being the BIOS forcing to load UEFI (GOP) part of vBIOS, so if that is non-existent as in the old v.001 then it won't boot.

v001 is NOT the recommended vBIOS for these models, just use one of the newer ones v3, v5, or v7+

On a side note, my Mod will have an option to disable that, which is also mandatory for everyone who wants to use any modded vBIOS.

Ok, but where can i get the v3, v5 or even v7+, i do work for a Clevo Reseller, but i don´t get any kind of update like that, nor i can find it in the CLEVO channel. Da hell is CLEVO doing? Or am i missing something?

Everyone who is kindly putting P375SM Bios updates available online for the end users should also add that update or at least a warning, we resellers, are going to have some serious problems with this... I know Bios updates that go wrong are not covered by warranty but i don´t really like to apply those kinds of policies.

Ok, but where can i get the v3, v5 or even v7+, i do work for a Clevo Reseller, but i don´t get any kind of update like that, nor i can find it in the CLEVO channel. Da hell is CLEVO doing?

No idea, Clevo and resellers usually don't provide any vbios updates, at least not officially. Did you try the one I uploaded?

Ok, but where can i get the v3, v5 or even v7+, i do work for a Clevo Reseller, but i don´t get any kind of update like that, nor i can find it in the CLEVO channel. Da hell is CLEVO doing? Or am i missing something?...

Clevo doesn't publish most of them in the e-channel:

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager/4573-can-someone-supply-8970m-clevo-vbios.html#post63905

Sorry for the delay, i usually only do this type of work in the weekend.

Well not even the .007 work... same problem, if i enable SECURE BOOT pufff no image.

Going to try the one svl7 posted.

EDIT: Nope... the one SVL7 posted also doesn´t work, i think the P370SM, P375SM BIOS is the culprit, although the NVIDIA cards all work fine.

I quit! lol

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...