Was planning about buying an msata ssd for my m17xR4 and came across a doubt. I thought msata port meant the port is a standard one, but looking at an ssdboss comparison chart, there was more than one msata port, like the mSATA PCI-Express port, msata sata III, etc. I was about to buy Plextor 128GB mSATA SSD M5M Series PX-128M5M, and wanted to confirm if it will work my R4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also if time permits, please tell me about any pros and cons about the plextor ssd I mentioned above, like if it supports TRIM, if there is better compatible msata ssd for the same price etc. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a strange port called mini-PCI-Express which look exactly like mSATA.

Some laptops have that kind of port but M17xR4 does not. For some laptops you can use that port either as a mSATA or a mini-PCI-Express, for some laptops you can only use it as a mini-PCI-Express.

For M17xR4 it is a ordinary mSATA port with SATAII speed (yes with SATAII speed). So personally I don't think put a SSD there is a good idea.