GTX 780 or GTX 780 Ti

itsleeyo

Well thats up to you to decide really. Do you need the extra power? For example you can save those extra $200 and SLI in the future... Both are awesome cards, 780 with non reference coolers can overclock like hell and they have great results, matching the 780ti, (although it can overclock too, but since we are talking about reference not as much). So in my opinion you should go with 780 non-reference OR wait for 780ti non-reference (if you dont care for that extra money).

If money is no issue go with the ti, otherwise the 780 and overlock it for ti performance.

There's a problem with that, You see the 780 and 780 Ti have different physical/technical specs -

GTX 780 shader units = 2304, GTX 780 Ti Shader units = 2880

GTX 780 memory clock = 6008mhz, GTX 780 Ti memory clock = 7000mhz

There is no way a 780 can stand up to a "TI" version as it is physically impossible, I know as I have both cards at my disposal plus many benchmarks online will prove this.

If you want the best, Get a GTX 780 Ti, If you want the best bang for the buck, Get the standard 780.

Well I have decided to go with the Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II as a replacement of my old GTX 580 sli. Now I am considering upgrading my motherboard from 1366 to 1150 (Asus Maximus IV Hero) and i7 980x to i7 4770k. Is that a good idea or i should just stick with the i7 980x.

Well I have decided to go with the Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II as a replacement of my old GTX 580 sli. Now I am considering upgrading my motherboard from 1366 to 1150 (Asus Maximus IV Hero) and i7 980x to i7 4770k. Is that a good idea or i should just stick with the i7 980x.

The 4770K is better but the 980x is still a good chip, Heres a benchmark table comparing the two.

AnandTech | Bench - CPU

As you can see the 4770K beats it in 95% of tests.

I bought a GTX 780 when they first came out. So far I havent overclocked i and its been doing great. I plan to over clock it when or if I get a game in the future that might cause some lag with it stock. That should help my dollar stretch a little further.

Okay so here is an update for you guys after 2 weeks of using this card. I have flashed the vbios of my Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II to 80.10.37.00.12. Now I am able to "overclock" this card properly because before it would throttle all over the place once it hit above 70 C. I have overclocked with Core +150 mhz and Memory + 400 mhz temps on idle are around low 30s and load are around high 60s never pass the 70 mark. I have scored about 42k on 3dmark vantage. stock gtx titan only get about 39k on 3dmark vantage. After a few weeks in of using this beast (Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II) I love it the temps are really low I had gtx 580s with aarctic cooling xtreme plus II before this and they are no where near what Asus Direct CU II can do, as for performance wise this is more than enough for what I do (video rendering, gaming, programming, surfing the net) Did I mention I got this card for only $349.99

:20_003:

• 2 months later...

I upgraded from 2 x 780 EVGAs to 2 x 780Ti EVGAs, and while I don't necessarily regret the decision, I realize that even for 1600p, 780s in SLI were more than enough for now. It's all bragging rights if you're playing games at 1600p or lower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...