[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

Here is what I do know.. Regardless of TIM utilized the cpu and gpu are on the same heat sync with 1 fan. The CPU creeps up fast. The weird thing is that With the GPU at 800/1080 the system starts to get hot. If you have ANY updates to the bios for the cpu turbo then it adds to the heat. The gpu sticks to around 73-75c but the CPU goes well over 90c and very close to 100. The system begins to scale back quickly. It's a fine line to walk to find the right balance. No matter I will continue to game at 750/1000 since that's plenty of performance for most games.

• Founder

Well, I don't think the PSU (Power Supply Unit) has something to do with the BSOD, at those clocks I would expect instability, my question is if the PSU trips (ie the laptop shuts down in the middle of the benchmark) or if it is close to its limits (preferably killawatt measurements)

Ok guys... here some stuff you might test to cool down the m14x:

1. I removed the plate wich covers the RAM. So my notebook cooler directly cools the ram.

2. I have a Notebook cooler... think it´s a Zalman must have a closer look. (there are 3 fans wich are really silent)

3. If you have no notebook cooler: Put something between the notebook and the table @ the rear of the notebook (its simple but it helped me cool down)

4. If you dont need the DVD Drive (as I do) remove it (better circulation of Air)

5. Remove the GPU and CPU Heatsink and replace DELL cooling paste with a high perfomance paste (Like Arctic Silver). But be careful.

These things will help ya to cool down (i´m sure most of you guys knew it before but i wrote it down). So and now i´m gonna flash that BIOS... xD

===EDIT===

Flashed it... works great...xD awesome work guys....

@slv7 when time allows it, please make a bios with more increasement (just a bit more than what it is at the moment) than the modded... i want to know where is the limit of temps and clocks... Ingame i have no problems @ 800 core and linked shaders (Bad company2, Dirt3) Will try Crysis 2 later.

Edited by n3ocort3x

no, because 3DM11 is highly GPU demanded...it changed since 3DMARK2006. That was a benchmark where high CPU Clocks were more important than high GPU clocks. Now its more important to have higher GPU clocks (as it should be).

Crysis 2 is the best game to max out the system (or Crysis , Crysis Warhead). In no game there is more heat than in Crysis 2, Crysis Warhead and Crysis on my system...xD

Omg and I'm at work and can't test it.... I'm so nervous...xD thanks to ya slv7... Question: wich voltage is set actually in mod bios ?? Can you make more modded with different voltages ??? (3 or so with one xtreme voltage... 1.05 or 1.1 volt) thank ya all guys. Great work

Now it should be at 0.93V, stock would be 0.88V if all my assumptions are correct... that's mainly based on educated guessing since I haven't got a way to really verify this.

@slv7 when time allows it, please make a bios with more increasement (just a bit more than what it is at the moment) than the modded... i want to know where is the limit of temps and clocks... Ingame i have no problems @ 800 core and linked shaders (Bad company2, Dirt3) Will try Crysis 2 later.

It seems there's one more voltage setting in the VBIOS (1.0V), but I don't know whether this is possible at all, I have to ask Saltius, I'm really not that confident with this VBIOS.

From my experience (thank god gpu survived) you can push up to somewhere around 820,10x0(x = 0-8) before you start getting BSOD. A nice benefit of this mod though is that stability goes through the roof if you can keep it cool.

This depends on the GPU, if you're lucky you'll be able to push it higher without any issues and some GPU probably will never go above 800MHz.

On another note, svl7 do you think you could package the Modded BIOS with the modded VBios? :D Might make for a pretty good combo as when I tested the modded sBIOS it allowed for a very slight increase int he TDP/TDC settings.

Yeah, should be possible, let me check, I'll report back and let you know.

And guys, when overclocking, keep in mind that only the core voltage got changed, the VRAM voltage is the same, so you can't push the VRAM higher than before.

I think they were 805/1175 if I remember correctly, if you look at the actual benchmarking thread there's a link to a larger 1600x900 pic that you can see the clocks on. My gpu score was barely ahead of you with my cpu a decent amount ahead.

I need to figure out where I am going wrong then... with a SSD, heavily optimized system I should be hitting higher than 1900 then. Serious congrats though. I know you used to push the old m15 and 17 very hard. For general gameplay, its weird. Here is an example...

Rift, say I am looking at a static item, and I am getting 31fps, no oc. I then oc to 750/100. I am now getting 37fps. If I up it to 800, no change. CPU limited, nope! Only using 1 or 2 threads most at like 60 percent. It seems like the diminishing returns for overclocking on my machine is around the 750-760 range. any higher and very little difference.

post-213-14494988517023_thumb.jpg

i7-2630QM

Core: 850 MHz ; Shaders 1700MHz ; Memory 1020 MHz

3DMark 11

remember that is the weaker CPU... if i had the stronger... 2000 would be possible with that clocks...

@ slv7

that is not the end... I can´t go higher at the moment because I need more volt, please mod me one with 1,00 V instead of 0.93 V. The Temps are more than ok !

Edited by n3ocort3x

yeah see what you can do... i can smell the 2000 Points in 3DMark11... xD No hurry slv7... I´m sure when we can code the 1 Volt setting in the BIOS 880 - 900 on the Core are possible...

other question: How dou you extract the VBIOS from the .exe... ?? I modified BIOS for ASUS Boards (but only Microcodes for CPU support and "easy stuff") I would be interested how you extract it and how the strings are changed ?? (maybe the name of the program...)

As I said... there is so much potential in this M14X and now we have unleashed it... xD I can´t say how happy i ´am... xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Danger said it all, thats the main difference... Bios settings are stock at A01. Maybe im lucky having a "cooler" cpu and gpu cause the fans don´t spin very fast at benchmark... 8-10 runs 3DMark11 (cause I cant belive it was stable) and the notebook was still "warm" and not hot... 860 on core gave me a driver problem wich seems related to to low voltage on the GPU core (experienced same issues with dedicated GPU on that bench) but on dedicated GPU its easier to push the Voltage higher...

Ok, here's a version which has the voltage set to highest available setting, which should correspond to 1.0V.

I have no idea whether this works, the voltage setting is labeled as FF, the other voltages are labeled 00, 01 and 02, so this doesn't really fit the pattern.

If you want to try this, great! I always love to see such crazy stuff, but I have no idea whether it works and what happens if it doesn't work. I'm not sure which clocks the system uses for boot, but when I did some experiments with the 470m I once accidentally set a way too high value in the 3d clocks domain, the system did POST and boot, but just before it loaded the desktop it crashed (so I guess it didn't use the 3d performance profile until then).

So my guess is that you should be able to reflash the system from within DOS if there are any issue or immediate crashs, but I can't tell it for sure. It's also possible that the voltage simply gets forced to a lower value, as with the 6970m.

But I hope it works :D

Only try this if you're aware of the risks involved. Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing some reports or 2k 3dM11...!! :P

***File removed, apparently it doesn't work at 1.0V***

Edited by svl7

FF is never good... xD When you saw FF on the EVGA classified you have to RMA... xD

it seems the value is too high... it says no supported hardware detected... flash back to the modded A01 ! thanks slv7 ! maybe we try it with 1 Volt on A01 if you have time but I think 1 Volt is the OVP (When 1 V is reached --> Boot FF). It would make sense.

If it is possible we can try it with 0,97 or 0,98 Volt

Edited by n3ocort3x