Serious problem with SLI and Power Brick!

bentouch

I just found a serious problem with my M18x.

When ever i turn the SLI on and start to play for eg. Battlefield 4 (so it starts to use boths cards) my power brick just turns off!

So it seems like by GPU(2) has some fault or whatever, that turns the brick off.

Anyone knows what might be wrong?

@EDIT

Just the same thing happened - without SLI ON!

So or my power brick could be broken or the GPU(1).

Could it be because of some power problems at the house? Or it's definitely hardware problem? Any ideas?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I encountered quite similar problem on my old M17X R4 as yours. The machine turned off suddenly sometimes without a sign. Then I found that the graphic card caused a short-circuit; and that's why the power brick turned off automatically (to protect to system). I removed the graphic card and used Intel HD graphics instead, then machine worked well again.

Thus, I think that your problem comes from the discrete graphic cards.

I just found a serious problem with my M18x.

When ever i turn the SLI on and start to play for eg. Battlefield 4 (so it starts to use boths cards) my power brick just turns off!

So it seems like by GPU(2) has some fault or whatever, that turns the brick off.

Anyone knows what might be wrong?

@EDIT

Just the same thing happened - without SLI ON!

So or my power brick could be broken or the GPU(1).

Could it be because of some power problems at the house? Or it's definitely hardware problem? Any ideas?

I think the most optimistic case would be the power brick is failing. I would try replacing it otherwise its the GPU or motherboard.

My alienware broke some time ago (m18x r2) and i still got the powersupply. Maybe you are interested?
If you still have the broken M18xR2 I may be interested in buying it as a source for spare parts. Let me know if you still have it and want to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever figure out the cause of this?

I've a 6990m Crossfire setup and I think I might have a similar issue.

Sometimes when I've started the machine up I notice I'm getting awful performance - it's usually because I'm not in Crossfire mode because the power brick is off.

Now, it might be because I didn't plug it in properly in the first place, :-), but sometimes I'm sure it was on.

• 2 weeks later...