no acer love in here

Brian Taylor

• Founder

Yeah I can tell from mine that they are very slow (ASUS 1101HA OCed at 1.6GHz) but for simple things they are excellent choices, plus they are very light and good battery life. Had I waited for the next model I would have never bought a netbook :)

• Founder

I can see their point though with flash.. If I were in their shoes I would probably do the same, I would rather we used HTML5 instead and moved forward. The fact that flash is so widespread makes things much harder though

Truly we need a way to emulate flash on unsupported platforms. Perhaps the way google translate works, a website based translation app for web pages with flash code and over browsers with no flash support!

• Founder

You can have flash on iPad and stuff, it's that they consume too much battery and they are very vulnerable to attacks that they decided not to use it.

Install Flash / Frash on iPhone 4 [How to Video Guide] | Redmond Pie

but yeah I would use a netbook instead of iPad for those things, plus I need Windows not MacOS for certain applications

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see their point though with flash.. If I were in their shoes I would probably do the same, I would rather we used HTML5 instead and moved forward. The fact that flash is so widespread makes things much harder though

Hi StamatisX I just have a point to make. Yes is true that Flash is not a 100% secure and that is the excuse that Jobs is invoking for not allowing flash to be in iphone4, but it really goes beyond that.

The reality is that Steve Jobs has a problem coping with reality, and the reality being that if it wasn't for Adobe, apple would be dead long ago.

Adobe was the only company that had the correct fonts that allowed those 2 3 k dollars apple laser printers to work correctly and made a niche in for apple in the Multimedia industry.

It goes back that Apple could have owned straight adobe some years back for a measly 1 million dollar investment and they declined to invest.

And finally it goes back that in all history Adobe is the only company that has said no to Steve Jobs when it comes to changing a thing or modifying it. Adobe is the only company that said no twice to apple and to Microsoft and for Steve Jobs is payback time.

• Founder

Indeed that's correct, there are underlying reasons behind such kind of decisions. What I don't like is the fact that they don't give the option to the user to decide if s/he wants it or not and take the risk.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been using my 3830TG for awhile now, and it was super cheap considering the hardware. It came with an i3, but I've upgraded it to an i5-2540m. Combined with the GT540m, it's a reasonably capable gamer. The display isn't fantastic, and the build quality is typical Acer.

All in all, it's been a great laptop for the price.

i've also had a ACER which I replaced for a Lenovo y500 now.

It was running just fine without any problems.

I had to send it for repair twice, but that wasn't acer's fault.

It turned out my mouse reciever was somehow causing wierd issues with my keyboard, so I send it for repair.

When it came back, everything was running fine untill I plugged my usb reciever again.

At that point I found out my usb reciever was the problem.

Due to the keyboard replacement of the 1st repair my keyboard stopped working properly and it had to be replaced again.

I also replaced the processor with a more powerfull one a couple of months before I purchased my lenovo.

Due to the fact that the laptop was outdated and still slow I decided to buy a new laptop.

The reason why I didn't went with acer again is the concern to get a faulty laptop like everyone complains about.

~ Archcry

Acer has beefed-up lately so I don't know what are you talking about :) My 5 year old 5920G is still strong, and they have improved the quality ever since. They do happen to have some odd-ball once in a while, but who doesn't really? They are still the best bang for the buck.

As for the OP, it seems that it wasn't very active in 2011, neither it's now, but I hope that I'll bring some improvement soon :D

My Acer Aspire 5670 from 2005 is still better than most modern desktops with multi-core processors. I bought the 2nd best laptop, normally the best is so far beyond price point. Anyway, the point is to match a good videocard with a good system and I feel that Acer does that better than most consumer laptop manufacturers.

I had four Acers in the past. They was low-priced compared to the hardware, what was inside. Great Performance, well working and nice looking.

The main problem: It was ultra difficult to maintain or exchange anything. For example: After a half year, you need to clean the fan cool blocks, but they are not easily reachable, so you must remove nearly everything including the mainboard to get full access to the cooling system.

In Clevo Notebooks, you get instantly access to nearly everything with ease, including the fans. You can exchange everything with ease and clean everything with ease. It tooks not a minute to exchange for example the cpu in a clevo notebook. In Acer it is a painful act with dozen of screws everywhere.

So I switched from acer to clevo.

I had four Acers in the past. They was low-priced compared to the hardware, what was inside. Great Performance, well working and nice looking.

The main problem: It was ultra difficult to maintain or exchange anything. For example: After a half year, you need to clean the fan cool blocks, but they are not easily reachable, so you must remove nearly everything including the mainboard to get full access to the cooling system.

In Clevo Notebooks, you get instantly access to nearly everything with ease, including the fans. You can exchange everything with ease and clean everything with ease. It tooks not a minute to exchange for example the cpu in a clevo notebook. In Acer it is a painful act with dozen of screws everywhere.

So I switched from acer to clevo.

I don't think that it's exactly fair to compare Acer with Clevo. For example there are tons of HP and DELL notebooks more expensive than given Acer, yet they still have the same "userfriendlyness". And that's of the new ones. In the MXM era (Acer's one, they no longer have MXM notebooks) most with dedicated GPU were pretty nicely done and easy for servicing, just like the Clevos. Yeah, I got butthurt, but here's my opinion nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sigh my aspire-s3-391's ssd just gets slower than any hdd ever during sleep/wake and the 4gb ram is never going to be enough even for basic usage (no graphics intensive applications)... I just used it for a year and I cant stand the slowness anymore

sigh my aspire-s3-391's ssd just gets slower than any hdd ever during sleep/wake and the 4gb ram is never going to be enough even for basic usage (no graphics intensive applications)... I just used it for a year and I cant stand the slowness anymore

That sounds like a problem with that specific machine, not with acers in general. If you are really having those kinds of issues, i recommend you getting the hardware checked out. 4GB of RAM should be MORE than enough for anything you want to do, even gaming. And SSDs have phenomenal read/write speeds, and if it is being so slow, you probably have something wrong beyond the model. Really, everything is all the same nowadays, the only difference being support offered.