Y580 WARNING do not use battery meter restet function!

michos

This is a warning post, do not use the reset battery meter (or some similar name, I do not use english version of the driver) function in lenovo energy management driver. For most of the users (including me :( ) it ends up with damaging the motherboard which result in trouble with charging battery and running it on AC. After this damage being done, in order to charge battery or just run your laptop on AC you have to: 1. turn it off or hibernate (sleep doesn't work for that), 2. take out the battery, 3. take the power cord off the wall socket for a few seconds, 4. then plug it into the wall socket and your laptop, 5. then turn the laptop on 6. and then put the battery in. If you just plug your ac cord to the laptop while it is running on battery it won't work, laptop will keep running on battery and will not start charging as it will not "see" the cord.

The only known fix for this issue is sending your laptop to Lenovo service with a warranty claim and they will either replace motherboard or whole laptop.

However if anyone knows other fix for this issue, I would be really glad to get to know it as it is my only computer at home and I cannot send it to service because I need it for everyday work (On-Site warranty is not available in my coutry, shame).

• 6 years later...

There was such a problem, but I can’t help much, there is no link left to the site from which I took the solution. I can say for sure that the transistor burns out there, I soldered it and the laptop began to charge normally.