Need help, X7200 issues and I'm lost

DR650SE

Looks like I'll most likely be ordering more RAM. Hopefully the next batch is reliable. Now after looking on Newegg my story seems common for this type of ram. :(

Go figure... Corsair Value Select... :o 24GB for $100...G.Skill it is next time. I should have know better lol

I've had luck with G. Skill, are there any other RAM brands in should consider? I've also had luck with Kingston Hyper-X.

uva5evup.jpg

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Have you tried pulling some sticks yet and running with less than 3? Do that before getting ram.

Yea I'm currently running memtest86 on each individual stick separately. However, fist stick I tried showed no errors and still would not allow for hyper threading to be on with out boot looping.

I think the CPU may have been damaged too :(

Whatever happened to kill the mobo, sure did a number on the system.

Yea I'm currently running memtest86 on each individual stick separately. However, fist stick I tried showed no errors and still would not allow for hyper threading to be on with out boot looping.

I think the CPU may have been damaged too :(

Whatever happened to kill the mobo, sure did a number on the system.

Haha, well I was partially right about it being a potential RAM fault then! Have you got your old CPU you can stick in to test (one you know is working), then do Memtest86+ again & see if you get errors, that way you can narrow it down to CPU/RAM/or both?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently on the hunt for a cheap i7 for that very thing. :o Found a potential lead on an i7 920 over at overclock. net

Feel like it's expensive diagnosing this. If the CPU is part of the problem, in the last year I would have replaced the mobo, ram, CPU and screen. :eek:

I've had bad luck with this system. LOL. Next time I go Clevo I'll be sure to maintain a warranty. :P

• 2 months later...

I hope you figured out what the problem is without it being too expensive. I am having the original problem you had with the comp not powering up. Was the motherboard hard to remove? I was wondering if you had any helpful tips. Right now I'm having problems with the plastic tray on the right underneath the keyboard. (I would have PM'd but there are those post requirements)

• 4 months later...

I did get it fixed, sorta. I replaced the motherboard. Don't remember about the plastic though as it has been a while.

Also, now my laptop won't run with Hyper threading. When I turn it on with hyper threading enabled in the bios it BSOD and boot loops trying to load windows. With hyperthreading disabled, it boots fine. BSOD every once in a while which Im learning to live with.

Sorry for resurecting an old thread :P

• 1 year later...

So some of you may remember a nagging issue I had. A few years back (2013-2014) I was deployed and gaming on my X7200. Well at some point I blew ot the motherboard. I had to but a new one. The new motherboard for some reason could not boot with hyperthreading turned on. A huge bummer, essentially making my 980x a large useless processor.

Well I used it with hyperthreading turned off for the last two years. I figured I wasn't benching anymore.

Anyway today I decided to update to the Prema unlocked bios since I never updated the bios. Low and behold that was my issue! I'm a frigging idiot for not doing that. I meant to a lot, but never was motivated enough. So now it actually runs with hyperthreading!

Hopefully this solves some of the stability issues I was having!

On another note I completely forgot all I knew about overclocking this system/CPU. I can't change anything and get it to boot, where before I was doing crazy benching and had it fairly stable for everyday use at 4.1GHz

But at least I have my 12 threads back!

Oh and on another note, I upgraded my two storage HDDs from 1TB, to 2TB drives. Also upgraded my 256GB gaming SSD, to a 1TB mSATA drive. My OS is on a 160GB SSD. so in total I have over 5TB (4 internal drives) of space inside the "laptop" :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it did anything for the instability issues I've been having.

Trying to do a disk backup of my gaming SSD, it almost immediately BSOD upon start. I'm using Acronis True Image 2013.

Hey man, how you been?

So I finally figured it out. A few years ago when I received a new motherboard, for some reason I couldn't boot with hypertheading. I figured whatever killed my mobo also damaged my CPU. So for years I just dealt with occasional blue screens and game crashes and no hypertheading. Bummed because what's the point of a 980x if I can't use it?

Well a few days ago I decided to dig into it and find the issue. I started by updating the system bios. That helped as I was able to boot with hypertheading but it made it so I would bluescreen very frequently, to the point I could hardly do anything.

So last night I spent hours (till 4am) testing everything I could think of. RAM, Hard drives, GPUs, taking them all out and testing different slots for both RAM and GPUs. In fact I had another 3x8GB set of RAM so swapped that too.

I spent hours looking through all the stuff from my deployment in 2013-2014. Did so because I had an i7 920 that I bought to test against my 980x to solve the issues with hypertheading. I couldn't find the 920 and it's probably best that I didn't.

I tested drivers, Uninstalled stuff reinstalled ect.

Nothing made sense.

At 330 am I decided to play in the bios. As it turns out, at default settings with the new motherboard, the 980x wasn't getting enough voltage. By upping that, I was able to mitigate all bluescreens and crashes. I couldn't believe it. Sometimes the simplest things just go right over my head as I tend to over think. I've been able to run a full virus scan of all 4 of my hard drives, create image backups ect.

I even have the system overclocked to 4GHz. Seems stable. I havn't had a crash or blue screen since that wasn't related to overclocking.

And to think, just updating the bios when I installed the new motherboard and putting my overclock back could have avoided this 3 year headache.

How I missed that or neglected to do that... I'll never know. Lol.

Guess I can laugh about it now. But that's the story. :-p.

Now if I find the 920 I'll bench it just for kicks.

My next moves with this system is to update the 160GB OS SSD to a larger SSD and upgrade to 680M SLI.  At that point I'll be done upgrading thus system since it's old now.  System now has 2x2TB HDDs for storage and backups, a 1TB msata drive for my games.  So 5+ TV of space.  I also keep my backups on external drives too. 

I just havn't seen any need to upgrade as its still a very capable system.  Don't know when I'll ever replace it, but I'd love to build a desktop. As far as another system like it, don't know if they will continue making one with as much HDD space. Plus I like having many drives to organize things, rather than partitioning.  So this system will be with me for the foreseeable future..  :-D

Wow that was a rant... Lol

Edited by DR650SE