Sager NP9380-S 120Hz SLI Issues. Fluttering scanlines/flickering.

BudMarLeY

I saw someone try the vbios on nbr and it seems to be working . I could not get the vbios to try it but I am using the lasted nvidia drivers and after I change the refresh rate in game and then restart the it does not flicker as much. I am awaiting the results of your RMA but I can't send mine in yet because I'm in school. I can't XOTIC would say its not that bad. With the cost of these laptop s it should not there at all..

That's how I feel too. If the vbios works ill be very happy.

Ken pm me your email and ill send it your way.

And playing in windowed mode or windowless is out of the question.

Please guys, I also like all of you have tried every driver version available and also every software troubleshooting step you can probably think of with no luck, the only logical solution is the V-BIOS it self, like Prema said that our installed pre-installed V-BIOS is for another laptop, the P1x0SM (15.6", with has only 1 gtx 780m). I guess thats why its working fine in 1 GPU but not for SLI as the V-BIOS it self is not designed to run 2 SLI cards.

So Please if anyone can confirm the V-BIOS solution I would be more than grateful.

& YES playing in windowed or windowless mode is out of the question.

I have contacted Nvidia customer support and they told me to try a couple of solutions for this issue but also none of them have actually worked. And at last they told me that it could be either

1) SLI Bridge Issue

2) vBios Issue

3) Hardware Problem Issue

If I had my computer here with me right now I would have figured out if it fixed it. The only bad part is like 4 hours before i found out about this site, I brought my computer to UPS to send it to the RMA at Sager. I wish I had it here now to figure out this instead of sitting on my wife's crappy dell laptop talking to you guys about it and seeing if it fixes it or not. :P

thats why im hoping someone who still has their laptop who has the same issue can flash their bios and see if it fixes it. I would have done it long ago.

edit:

I also looked up the P1x0SM and they all use the 780m but no SLI on any of them. Why would they think by just connecting a cable would be sufficient enough to run SLI in its completeness. This isnt a plug and play desktop, this needs to be crafted carefully and not just thrown together willy nilly.

People wont have issues with the step above the np9390-s because it doesnt use a 120hz screen. but even on clevos website they dont even offer a 120hz monitor, so this is mostly a sager issue. If sager is like hey lets put a 120hz screen on this but not actually test it out and sell it to people, then i feel that is bad business. dont get me wrong, my sager np9380-s is a beast of a machine, but it comes with a price, money and errors.

i think the gpus can do sli fine with a 60hz setup but the 120hz is where it doesnt work.

I occasionally like to play in windowed mode, but I'd hate to be forced to play in windowed for every game. Also, you can't play in 3D in windowed mode.

Pretty sure this forum works the same as NBR (i.e. you can't pm until you have enough posts). Anyway, getting five posts is the least I can do if flashing vbios actually works.

Just got done talking to the sager RMA department and they told me that they have a couple laptops in for that issue and they are working to figure it out. I mentioned to them that it could be a vbios issue and they told me they don't have the flash for the vbios and clevo hasn't released one. They said that they have heard that it could be a lack of power issue, a sli bridge issue, or the vbios. So they said they will look into the bridge and power but the vbios is out of their hands. They also told me that with some of the computers the seen so far, the issue isn't as bad as I say it is and you have to be focusing hard to see it. Tell me people by looking at my video I posted in the first post wither or not you have to be looking for it. I feel that is pretty much right in your face.

I don't understand why are they not having the flash for the vBios. So what about if you send them the vBios provided in this thread so that they can try it out themselves and see if it fixes the flickering issue.

I have contacted Nvidia customer support and they told me to try a couple of solutions for this issue but also none of them have actually worked. And at last they told me that it could be either

1) SLI Bridge Issue

2) vBios Issue

3) Hardware Problem Issue

I too contacted Nvidia customer support and we tried every troubleshooting step you can think of. In the end they concluded to me that its either a hardware issue or a V-BIOS issue, but its 100% not a driver or software issue.

I don't understand why are they not having the flash for the vBios. So what about if you send them the vBios provided in this thread so that they can try it out themselves and see if it fixes the flickering issue.

I asked the guy if he wanted me to send the vbios and he said only clevo could load it because they don't want to be liable for a brick if it didn't work. If I manage to get it working, I'm going to physical. ly mail it to them and tell them they need to load it in their laptops with 780m sli w/ 120hz screens.

Following this same topic thread on NBR the Vbios seems to fix the problem. Pics were posted with the updated vbios and he says it running great. Prema tried to send me the vbios but i could not download it yet. Since all of us are having the same issue we all should cintact sager and complain to them about this issue. This is definitely bad business tactics especially with the price of these laptops. I am gonna wait and see what Xotic can do about every ones RMA. I maxed my laptop out to play in full screen HD with 60fps+ on my games and sager should do more research before putting the wrong vbios in these machines. Prema said an old bios is in these laptops as well so Sager needs to do better.I am gonna deal with it right now until i see if sager or xotic can put an updated bios up.

Please guys, I also like all of you have tried every driver version available and also every software troubleshooting step you can probably think of with no luck, the only logical solution is the V-BIOS it self, like Prema said that our installed pre-installed V-BIOS is for another laptop, the P1x0SM (15.6", with has only 1 gtx 780m). I guess thats why its working fine in 1 GPU but not for SLI as the V-BIOS it self is not designed to run 2 SLI cards.

So Please if anyone can confirm the V-BIOS solution I would be more than grateful.

& YES playing in windowed or windowless mode is out of the question.

The vbios has been confirmed on NBR. he has screenshots posted showing the vbios update. That would explain why it works with just one gpu.

I asked the guy if he wanted me to send the vbios and he said only clevo could load it because they don't want to be liable for a brick if it didn't work. If I manage to get it working, I'm going to physical. ly mail it to them and tell them they need to load it in their laptops with 780m sli w/ 120hz screens.

That sounds great but aren't they suppose to be having at least one or two extra units of every model so that they can try on it any new stuff before trying it on the customers units and bricking it, as I know most of the companies would do that.

That sounds great but aren't they suppose to be having at least one or two extra units of every model so that they can try on it any new stuff before trying it on the customers units and bricking it, as I know most of the companies would do that.
I would like to think so, if we get more people to complain about it,they will have to fix it.

i wish someone would test it who is having the same issue as me. i would love to hear if it works.

edit:

ken i shot you a message, if you can try it out that would be fantastic.

Thanks BudMarLeY.

I was just about to try it, but damn, my bios version is actually 1.00.01LS1. Where can I find a update for the bios (no luck at sager's support page)?

Thanks BudMarLeY.

I was just about to try it, but damn, my bios version is actually 1.00.01LS1. Where can I find a update for the bios (no luck at sager's support page)?

i think oyu would be fine with the bios version right now, the main issue we are having is with the vbios. ill search around and point you in the right direction when i can find it.

and OH someone posted on my old thread in NBR, i stopped looking over there when I found this site.

edit: what does the bios say your motherboard is? P370SM?

editx2:

@svl7, @Prema I want to thank you both for both of your help. I cant wait to get my computer back from the RMA to get this vbios loaded on it. When its on there you can count me in to become a T|I member, and svl7 when I get paid again ill donate to your new computer fund.

I would like to think so, if we get more people to complain about it,they will have to fix it.

Yes you are right we need anyone who is facing this problem to contact sager and if he had purchased it from Xoticpc to contact them as well as sager and tell them about this problem. This will actually make them put this issue as a primary issue and try to solve it as soon as possible.

Yes you are right we need anyone who is facing this problem to contact sager and if he had purchased it from Xoticpc to contact them as well as sager and tell them about this problem. This will actually make them put this issue as a primary issue and try to solve it as soon as possible.

well when I was talking to the RMA dept on the phone at sager yesterday and they said they are having a meeting that day about this issue because they currently have on their hands on 4 computers, the np9380-s that all has the same issue, and my computer will be the 5th. They said they heard that it was either power, sli bridge or the vbios but they are checking all them out. they said they dont have the vbios for the cards and i told them that i could email it to them and he told me they wernt allowed to flash bios or vbios. it has to all be done at clevo. He told me that with the computers he has seen, that you have to be looking really closely to see the issue. and that the normal eyes cant see it. I told him that he will be changing his statement when he sees my computer. I find it so much of a eye fu** that I cant even enjoy my games anymore when its flickering like it does.

Following this same topic thread on NBR the Vbios seems to fix the problem. Pics were posted with the updated vbios and he says it running great. Prema tried to send me the vbios but i could not download it yet. Since all of us are having the same issue we all should cintact sager and complain to them about this issue. This is definitely bad business tactics especially with the price of these laptops. I am gonna wait and see what Xotic can do about every ones RMA. I maxed my laptop out to play in full screen HD with 60fps+ on my games and sager should do more research before putting the wrong vbios in these machines. Prema said an old bios is in these laptops as well so Sager needs to do better.I am gonna deal with it right now until i see if sager or xotic can put an updated bios up.

honestly dude if i was you i would just flash it, you have your computer and the flash process doesnt require a rocket scientist. Just make sure on your usb drive you back up your original vbios before you flash it with the other one in case something was to happen.

well when I was talking to the RMA dept on the phone at sager yesterday and they said they are having a meeting that day about this issue because they currently have on their hands on 4 computers, the np9380-s that all has the same issue, and my computer will be the 5th. They said they heard that it was either power, sli bridge or the vbios but they are checking all them out. they said they dont have the vbios for the cards and i told them that i could email it to them and he told me they wernt allowed to flash bios or vbios. it has to all be done at clevo. He told me that with the computers he has seen, that you have to be looking really closely to see the issue. and that the normal eyes cant see it. I told him that he will be changing his statement when he sees my computer. I find it so much of a eye fu** that I cant even enjoy my games anymore when its flickering like it does.

honestly dude if i was you i would just flash it, you have your computer and the flash process doesnt require a rocket scientist. Just make sure on your usb drive you back up your original vbios before you flash it with the other one in case something was to happen.

Yes actually for me too it's very frustrating and annoying of how these flickering white lines always appear in games from nowhere and remain there with also some black flickering as well. I also noticed that it's increasing by time and also appear for me in more games it wasn't appearing in them before.

Yes actually for me too it's very frustrating and annoying of how these flickering white lines always appear in games from nowhere and remain there with also some black flickering as well. I also noticed that it's increasing by time and also appear for me in more games it wasn't appearing in them before.

The first week I had the computer I had NO issues with the flickering and then out of nowhere it just showed up. I thought I did something to the laptop, I was like what the fu**. I didnt take the GPUS apart or touch anything under the cover. I took the cover off to take a pic of what it looked like under the lid and then closed it back up.

I had it after about a week of the flickering and I took the heat-syncs off to find a massive glob of thermal paste all over the gpu under the heat-sync, not just on the die but on the green outer side and on the mini circuits next to the GPU die. I though it probably shorted something out so I cleaned it up as best as i could with rubbing alcohol and some careful elbow grease and managed to get about 97% of the thermal paste off where it wasnt supposed to be. after about a hour or 2 of cleaning up thermal paste i carefully applied a thin layer of arctic silver and my gpu temps were about 10c cooler. but the issue was still there. that is why I RMAed it, because when I got it the thermal paste was ridiculous.

come to find out it wasnt a gpu issue but a vbios issue. needless to say i feel like a pompous a$$.

edit: hey @kenandaoer this is a link i found for the bios for the p37xSM

P37xSM

take it with a grain of salt, I dont know how legit it is. I dont know if @Prema knows anything about this link.

Why would you wait for others to fix it for you if you can fix it yourself right now?

I second this.

If i would have waited 1 more day, I would have found this fix and still had my computer with me right now. I am kicking my self in the a$$ for sending it off. I'm more concerned about getting my laptop back in worse off condition then how I sent it. I heard some horror stories about sending computers to get RMAed. I rather fix the issue myself. I have a A+ certification and I'm computer literate, but after 4 days of trying to figure out how to fix the issues I was having, I gave up and fell upon my warranty. I guess you learn something new every day. Never thought you could flash a vbios. I've heard of flashing bios' but never heard once of a vbios being flashed.

stupid me...

update:

this is what UPS tracking has to say about my sager

<dl><dt><label>Delivered On:</label></dt><dd> Friday, 10/18/2013 at 11:40 AM</dd><dd>

Its out of my hands now...

</dd></dl>

The first week I had the computer I had NO issues with the flickering and then out of nowhere it just showed up. I thought I did something to the laptop, I was like what the fu**. I didnt take the GPUS apart or touch anything under the cover. I took the cover off to take a pic of what it looked like under the lid and then closed it back up.

I had it after about a week of the flickering and I took the heat-syncs off to find a massive glob of thermal paste all over the gpu under the heat-sync, not just on the die but on the green outer side and on the mini circuits next to the GPU die. I though it probably shorted something out so I cleaned it up as best as i could with rubbing alcohol and some careful elbow grease and managed to get about 97% of the thermal paste off where it wasnt supposed to be. after about a hour or 2 of cleaning up thermal paste i carefully applied a thin layer of arctic silver and my gpu temps were about 10c cooler. but the issue was still there. that is why I RMAed it, because when I got it the thermal paste was ridiculous.

come to find out it wasnt a gpu issue but a vbios issue. needless to say i feel like a pompous a$$.

Really so does this means that IC diamond paste which the sager place on there laptops is fake or not as good as other high quality pastes,so can you tell exactly what was your average temps without and with gaming. And about the flickering issue it was also the same for me as it wasn't there from the beginning and just started to appear 5 or 6 days after I got my laptop

Really so does this means that IC diamond paste which the sager place on there laptops is fake or not as good as other high quality pastes,so can you tell exactly what was your average temps without and with gaming. And about the flickering issue it was also the same for me as it wasn't there from the beginning and just started to appear 5 or 6 days after I got my laptop

I dont know if i would say the IC paste is bad, but when I took both my heat-syncs off the paste was EVERYWHERE under the heat-sync and all over the GPU under the sync. it is supposed to be lightly coating the GPU die and thats it, but it was all over the black sticky spacer and beyond that. It was under the spacer, above it, beyond it and all over the GPU top for both GPU's. I dont know if it heated up and softened up and melted like that or if they put half a bottle of it on the GPU die and then placed the heat-sync on it. I put a bb sized amount of the arctic silver and spread it about with a old credit card making sure it was thin and coated the GPU die. Then placed the cleaned heat-sync back on and screwed it down to 7lbs tension which is tight enough to hold the screws down and the gpu down but not so tight that it takes a breaker-bar to take the screw off, which is how it was seated before.

edit:

for me to see the ingame temps i use MSIafterburner with the rivatuner program attached to the msi program and it runs in the upper left corner of the screen. It shows me real time temps. With the massive glob of IC paste that was on my GPU the highest temps I got was 89c but with the thin layer of AS I put on it, the max temps I was reading for the couple of days I was using it was 80c at full load

editx2:

heres some humor for a depressing week...

oh also, @Keanos i think they may have your notebook at sager, because they had a few they were looking at, the np9380-s. so yours is probably there.

I too didn't have the white lines, flickering problem in the first couple of days, but after 1 - 2 weeks it was getting worse and worse. It even started appearing in 3D games which was very frustrating and annoying. I can't even Imagine if the V-BIOS solution didn't resolve this issue, It would be a huge kick in the face, where you will have a 3D laptop that doesn't even play a single 3D game (without flickering) or any other game in 120hz. I really hope this annoying problem gets resolved as soon as possible and SAGER must make it its primary objective to resolve it within the week.

Hi, which is now the VBIOS that I should take to flash the p370sm3 with gtx 780m sli? Can someone please post again. thank you

its in post #7

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager/4951-sager-np9380-s-120hz-sli-issues-fluttering-scanlines-flickering.html#post69211

and this is how you setup a flash (you will need a usb thumb drive)

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html