y510p LCD Bezel

phantomapollyon

Does anyone know how to remove this LCD's bezel without taking the whole laptop apart? I want to wrap the bezel in something matte (3M Scotchprint 1080 Matte Black more than likely) because the glossiness is driving me nuts. I've searched around and the only thing I can find is the hardware repair manual which says you have to strip the whole machine down to get it off. Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Just an idea, have you considered trying a screen protector with an anti-glare coating/finish?

Quick search shows a couple on Amazon and other places.

Results are mixed, but this would be a lesser of two evils option.

Removing Laptop displays can be tricky and do have a medium level of risk - esp for flexes and cables, adhesives, etc.

~J

You don't need to take the laptop apart. You can remove the bezel (the border around the screen facing you right?) There is a youtube video I followed.

you pretty much just pry it off. The top part of the hinges will also pop off with it. Also, the left and ride side of the bezel may have sticky tape underneath it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying an Y510p as well but the glossy bezel looks like a potential annoyance. I came across this thread and I was really curious how your plan worked out, phantomapollyon?

Was thinking of improvising something myself by using a 17" anti-glare / matte screen protector and just cutting out the bezel shape or something... But the chances of that having a neat finish are slim, I guess...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tip for anyone popping laptop parts apart. best to use something such as wood or plastic such as a plastic knife or maybe chopsticks. Keep the bezzle or chassis tight and let the tool do all the work with a bit of wiggling if needed. Never metal! Unless you're rocking some tunes