Overclocking Causing CPU to Overheat - Y500

suboost

Hey guys I'm hoping for some help with this.

I have a y500 with single GT650m. I've flashed the modded bios and am able to overclock the card to 1050mhz core clock and 2600mhz memory. The temperature for the GPU is only 68-70 and the CPU is about 80 under load. I show a 3dmark11 score of 2988, which seemed pretty good.

Since then I have tried to up the boost a little and bring it to 1100/2750 since the heat seems fine. However during both the 3dmark11 test and while playing Far Cry 3 the gpu seems to jump back down to the factory 790mhz. I checked the temps and it looks like the GPU is still fine, but the CPU is hitting 93 degrees, so for now I've been sticking with the 1050/2600.

I see a lot of people on the forums pushing to 1200/3000, so I'm just wondering why I'm not able to do so. I have the y500 on a Cooler Master U3 and my house is about 70 degrees F. Any ideas from anyone? I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

That's normal. CPU in this thing does tend to run very hot. Just repaste if you're worried. Also, 1200 MHz core is only achievable with increased voltage, and 3000 MHz memory is ridiculous for the 650M. I don't know how you can believe that. You sure those weren't 750M's? The 750M has increased core voltage along with probably higher-frequency GDDR5 modules and/or increased VRAM voltage.

Just so you know I'm running my 650M SLI at 1120/2250 on stock voltage. I haven't seen many 650M owners get much higher than this on core without overvolting, although some are able to get higher memory clocks.

EDIT: Sorry forgot my clocks.

1150mhz/2350mhz @ 1.050V under load (1.087V idle). Solid gaming performance.

slightly OT: has repasting the CPU actually yielded positive results for anyone? How about the second GPU?

also, Octiceps, do you happen to know at what point on the voltage slider the PSU will not be able to power the CPU+GPU under load?

Repasting dropped my GPU temps by 10C and CPU temp by 15C under load. I'd say it was worth it.

No idea about your second question, but there's no point in testing with a Kill-a-watt as you'll reach a temperature limit on the GPU before you run out of juice from the 170 W brick. I ran my 650M SLI with 1260/2250 @ 1.137 V and it was reaching throttling temperature (97C) but the charger was able to keep up without draining battery, even when stress testing with OCCT PSU Test (basically 64-bit Linpack + a FurMark-like test simultaneously). Oh yeah and my CPU reached TJmax at 105C and shut down after a few minutes of this. :disillusionment:

Repasting dropped my GPU temps by 10C and CPU temp by 15C under load. I'd say it was worth it.

No idea about your second question, but there's no point in testing with a Kill-a-watt as you'll reach a temperature limit on the GPU before you run out of juice from the 170 W brick. I ran my 650M SLI with 1260/2250 @ 1.137 V and it was reaching throttling temperature (97C) but the charger was able to keep up without draining battery, even when stress testing with OCCT PSU Test (basically 64-bit Linpack + a FurMark-like test simultaneously). Oh yeah and my CPU reached TJmax at 105C and shut down after a few minutes of this. :disillusionment:

If you are going to repaste I would suggest phobya nanogrease extreme, it's much better than ICD7 and other high performing thermal pastes. The paste applied should be just enough to cover the die with a very thin layer after it's been pushed down on it.

When I've applied just the right amount my 770M idles at around 35C and maxes out at 67C load, when using other pastes it idles around 45-50 and goes up to around 80C load.

My CPU idles at 45 and hit around 70C load.

The paste must have been very bad on octiceps' laptop, because it's rather rare to see such a temperature drop only after repasting.

3000MHz on memory is only achievable with 2,5GHz GDDR5 memory, which 650m in Y500 doesn't have, and in SLI setup doesn't need :)

I do not have any comparison, but I did some reading before I swapped my i5 for the one in my signature, and bough Noctua NT-H1. 42°C under load, 86°C highest recorded, but usually stays right under 80°C when gaming.

holy crap the CPU temp decreased 15C under load? Would you mind sharing what brand of TIM you used? Also, when you disassembled your y500 was there originally too much or too little TIM applied (if you don't mind sharing info on CPU/GPU1/GPU2)? I read one guy say he had literally no TIM on his external GPU (LOL)

Also, thank you for the info on my second question it's definitely helpful.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. So I put it at 1150/2350 as suggested and it's still crashing, but heat is only hitting 83 on CPU and GPU at 62. Is this a voltage problem? If so, I'm not really sure I understand how to change that or if I should. What is the factory voltage and how can I change it? It is greyed out in MSI Afterburner.

I mean the voltage at load... it will go up when you run a 3d application. Anyway, if you didn't adjust it then it's no wonder that it crashes at such a core clock. On the other hand you probably won't be able to increase the voltage a lot as you already have pretty high temperatures.

Also I'm getting the ultrabay GPU tomorrow. I'm hoping to overclock that one to roughly the same specs. Should I consider using thermal paste on the GPU since it's already out. Also, should I do the CPU? Do you think it would help by much? Still not clear on the voltage and what that does exactly or how to change it.

Sunboost, I can tell you that the internal gpu and the cpu are on the same heatsink so you can do them both at the same time. The ultrabay gpu I honestly have no idea about taking it apart to do any work on it. I only had problems with the internal gpu and cpu.

Thanks for the info Espo. The temps actually seem to be better with the 2nd GPU installed. The problem I'm having now is the voltage. I'm not sure how to change it since the option is greyed out in MSI Afterburner. I'm also not sure what I should change it to. My passmark 3dmark11 tests crash if I push any further, but temps seem to be fine, so I assume it's a voltage issue but not really sure. With 1150/2600 I score a 5150 with safe temps. I'd like to push it a little bit more, but it keeps crashing. Any advice on what to do about the voltage would be much appreciated.

So I increased the voitage with Nvidia Inspector, but it never goes above 1.025 under load, which is the stock voltage. I guess it doesn't work on the fly as suggested by svl7. 3dMark11 is still crashing at +310/+600 on both cards.

So I increased the voitage with Nvidia Inspector, but it never goes above 1.025 under load, which is the stock voltage. I guess it doesn't work on the fly as suggested by svl7. 3dMark11 is still crashing at +310/+600 on both cards.

Increase it more. The voltage offset begins at +112.5 mV I believe, that's where the actual zero is.