y510p empty "SSD" slot

detonator_x

mrclassy have you ever wondered what is the real purpose of this re-flowing machine? It's to speed up the process of assembly. They are still SMD devices. I have soldered such ports and SMD chips at my university of technology with ease... The biggest problem I ever encountered was when I soldered one small chip crooked and two legs touched the same pad. Removing SMD from PCB is a royal pain. Soldering them is easier than you think. Proper tools and a steady hand and you're good to go.

EDIT:

Ah yeah, almost forgot. Re-flowing is still a type of soldering.

The purpose of the reflow process is more than just "speeding up the process of assembly." Ball Grid Arrays (BGAs) can only be soldered (yes, you're correct that reflowing is a type of soldering) using reflow or localized hot air. It's impossible to hand solder a BGA. With said, the NGFF is not a BGA, but it does have very small features and a row of pins blocked by the other row (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you have had success in the past hand soldering parts with features this small and challenging, then you should, and I hope it works out for you. I just want to share information with others who might be casually reading this forum and think that they'll try this for the first time. If that's the case, you're better off avoiding it and instead spending the money to buy a large SSD (instead of replacing a damaged laptop).

@octiceps this is just my guess, but maybe he checked what SSHD model he has and looked it up on the internet?

@mrclassy OK now I know what you meant and I agree, but you just made it sound impossible :) Regarding NGFF connector from what I saw on the pictures on the internet there's only one row of pins. I believe you can solder connector with two rows of surface mounted pins by bending the outside ones, soldering the ones on the inside, and then bending back those on the outside. I think I might have done it with a connector that had way smaller amount of pins.

EDIT: OK Call me crazy. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/?sku=ST1000LM014

That's the drive according to the model number on it. But I swear I've booted more then one OS which does recognize the volume as being a separate device. At least that's what disk management console showed. My bad lol.

According to the Hardware Maintenance Manual, the only hybrid drives Lenovo source for the Y510p are the Seagate ones with 8GB cache.

@octiceps Not to sound rude, but ... um I own the laptop for one, lol. After opening it up and discovering the M2 SSD to be missing, I looked into the situation further.

First off, Windows does show the drive be default as a separate 24GB disk, right along side the C volume. I assume that (and call me crazy) because windows saw two volumes, and I only removed 1 disk, which has the words SSHD on them, I'm guessing that's what it is.

Second, linux confirms all the findings, showing a separate volume, which a higher transfer speed.

asa8y6yh.jpg

I like my OCZ vertex a lot better, so until a second HDD (or should I say SSDH) cadd arrives, I'm housing this separately. Sorry to burst your bubble. Edit: I mean mine lol

To be clear it wasn't the recovery partition. It had some drivers and a norton installer but not the onekey data. That was hidden - and appeared next to the efi partition, but separate from it and the system partition. Why are you so certain the SSD component should be hidden in windows? How would the controller implement SSD caching for OS files etc? That doesn't make sense.

To be clear it wasn't the recovery partition. It had some drivers and a norton installer but not the onekey data. That was hidden - and appeared next to the efi partition, but separate from it and the system partition. Why are you so certain the SSD component should be hidden in windows? How would the controller implement SSD caching for OS files etc? That doesn't make sense.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It's the Lenovo (D:) partition and it has a backup of the drivers and preinstalled software. I have it on my laptop too.

The SSD is invisible and non-accessible in Windows because the caching is completely managed by firmware.

Just a quick question, I have the model of the y510p with the option to add an SSD. But I already have the small caching SSD on the HDD. Would it be worth upgrading the computer with an M.2 SSD? Would you really notice performance improvements or would it be a minimal upgrade for the costs?

So for those of us that are unlucky and got a model without the connector, is there anything we can do about it? Seeing that link above with a relatively cheap M.2 SSD is really appealing, and I can't take advantage of it because my model is missing the connector :(

• 2 weeks later...
So for those of us that are unlucky and got a model without the connector, is there anything we can do about it? Seeing that link above with a relatively cheap M.2 SSD is really appealing, and I can't take advantage of it because my model is missing the connector :(

You may perhapsibly be able to buy a replacement motherboard with the M.2 connector from Lenovo.

I sure wish that I had one.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i saw on every forum that Y510p does not come with a SSD slot.

But i just bought y510p today and i found that it has a SSD connector slot. Maybe new Y510p's are coming with a SSD slot.

Check the attachments for pics. Thanks!

post-18624-14494996779412_thumb.jpg

post-18624-14494996781002_thumb.jpg