Weird Freezes on y510p

bonzobv

Alright, so I first noticed this when playing Mirror's Edge. What will happen is, a while into playing, the graphics will simply freeze but the music will continue to play. Eventually, the screen begins to flash and I have to reboot. This happened a few times, so I set ThrottleStop's multiplier to 32 instead of 34.

However, for whatever reason when I'm merely in Windows doing whatever, the mouse will freeze into place sometimes. This has happened twice. The first time, I waited a few seconds and it ended up working fine. The second time, I tried hitting the window button, it switched to the tile screen, and then stayed frozen there, regardless of what I did. Had to force shut down.

My question is, what is causing this and how can I prevent it? I also have both 750Ms overclocked but only 135MHz core and 300MHz memory, which are supposed to be stable (not saying they are or aren't).

Thank you in advance, just trying to figure out a way to get the best combination of performance and stability :\

I figured it had to be on my GPU's end. My question here is, most people with this laptop seem to be able to go as far as 135/400 without problems. Am I doomed to have to clock even lower than what I was set at, or not overclock at all? What can I do to have a stable OC?

As you can tell, I'm new to overclocking. Never had a computer with decent power behind it, so it's an area of computers I'm just unfamiliar with.

Thank you!

Every GPU is different. Some can overclock a ton, others can't overclock at all. Just because others may be able to achieve so-and-so speeds doesn't mean you can as well. The 650M can overclock by a lot because it is severely underclocked. The 750M doesn't have as much headroom because it is already clocked a lot higher. If you want to go higher you would need to increase voltage, which will in turn increase heat drastically. Frankly, I'm surprised your GPU isn't overheating as it is. Overclocking is not guesswork, it takes a lot of stability testing and experimentation. You can't just set the slider all the way to the right and expect everything to work perfectly.

I just looked at what other people did with my exact same GPU and computer setup and tried it out.

You didn't get what I said did you? You have to test it out and find what's stable for you, not look at other people's overclocks and copy them expecting to get the same results. The only thing useful about looking at what others are running is getting a ballpark estimate of what the GPU is capable of.

However, games seem to freeze and crash even without the GPU overclock.

Try different drivers.

You didn't get what I said did you? You have to test it out and find what's stable for you, not look at other people's overclocks and copy them expecting to get the same results. The only thing useful about looking at what others are running is getting a ballpark estimate of what the GPU is capable of.

Try different drivers.

I use Unigine Heaven and let it loop at max settings for 15 minutes to validate the overclock each time I increase the core clock speed by an increment. When I think I've reached a stable limit I let it loop for an hour. If it doesn't survive an hour I back down the core until it survives an hour.

Overclocking memory is way easier. I do it after I've found my stable limit on the core and keep the core overclocked while doing it. You just increase the memory clock speed incrementally and run the Heaven scored benchmark each time and take note of your score. It's obvious when you've passed your stable limit as the score will suddenly drop by 100 points. Back down the memory clock until you achieve your highest score, that's your stable limit.

So with core and memory put together I let it loop for an hour again to test stability. If it crashes keep lowering core until it passes. This isn't absolutely necessary but I also let Heaven loop for 24 hours just to be sure that my overclock was completely stable.

As you can see the way I do it is a pretty involved and time-consuming process, which is why I took a week to find my highest stable overclock. But since then I haven't had a single crash due to an unstable OC and the increase in game performance is huge so it was definitely worth it.

You don't have to worry about damage as the GPU will throttle and eventually shut down well before the temperature which would cause damage. It throttles at 97C so I'd want to stay below 90C at all times.

The ultra-bay gpu maxed at 97 while playing Crysis 1 for about an hour. I'm assuming overclocking is out of the question. All settings were maxed and I got about 45FPS average, though I had to have 8x AA rather than 16Q. Is this safe or am I screwed? There wasn't a hint of throttling but I'm a bit scared. Confusing that I can't game evidently.

The ultra-bay gpu maxed at 97 while playing Crysis 1 for about an hour. I'm assuming overclocking is out of the question. All settings were maxed and I got about 45FPS average, though I had to have 8x AA rather than 16Q. Is this safe or am I screwed? There wasn't a hint of throttling but I'm a bit scared. Confusing that I can't game evidently.