VBIOS in M17r2

trome71

From what ive read there are issues with the HD 7970M original 022 VBIOS for the r2.

This escpecially if you are to change VBIOS to OC and OV or UV. Am I right?

I really bricked one of my 7970M's. It died mid game freezing the screen, and thats all she wrote.

No OC was going on and not much temps. (Hardly got past 62 even in benching)

When trying to boot, i either got fans running, DVD spinning and then it stopped, or it comes to windows login and then stop.

I did manage to boot to dos and managed to flash VBIOS with new BIOS, and it was possible so some parts of the card works.

Card 1 runs perfect when alone, the "dead" card stops always with black screen when alone.

Pretty sure its dead for good and cant be fixed or has anyone any ideas?

I just cant stop fidling with this thing to make it run i X-fire. Problem beeing access to new cards.

Will it start with a 022 DELL 7970M card, only not beeing able to change VBIOS for voltage changes? (OC can probably be done in overdrive)

Anyone know why? Are there other differences than the actual VBIOS chip or software on it?

Would it be possible to buy a chip from SVL7 and solder it in to the card and get a VBIOS that can be altered? (021 for instance?)

That would make buying a card easier. If not i might have to get two cards and could as well try the 8970M.

If your card died then it's due to faulty hardware, not the vbios. From reading your post it seems one card is still running fine. If you want to get back to XF you will have to buy a second card, vbios won't matter, but I recommend buying a Dell card if you already have a Dell one, or a Clevo one if that's the case.... You can flash any vbios that works on the R2.

One card runs perfect, true. I makes my Alien usable :)

I have DELL cards.

From what ive heard if the card is amongst the newest (original 022) have UEFI VBIOS and will not post on our R2's, hence i cannot re-flash.

Will it then be possible to get a VBIOS without UEFI and physically swap the VBIOS chips since there seems to be a shortage of cards before 022 original.

And, are there other differences between the 7970M cards from Dell/Clevo/MSI than the VBIOS?

(if i can swap the chip and all cards are the same, then it doesnt matter what card i get)

From what ive heard if the card is amongst the newest (original 022) have UEFI VBIOS and will not post on our R2's, hence i cannot re-flash.

Will it then be possible to get a VBIOS without UEFI and physically swap the VBIOS chips since there seems to be a shortage of cards before 022 original.

And, are there other differences between the 7970M cards from Dell/Clevo/MSI than the VBIOS?

(if i can swap the chip and all cards are the same, then it doesnt matter what card i get)

No, that can't be the problem. All Dell 7970m vbios have uefi support, including the 022.

From my experiences with the M15x I would say that you can always flash the vbios, but some versions will result in a black screen, requiring a blind flash to get it working again.

Of course, if that's not possible you can always just replace the vbios chip.

The Clevo and Dell card are different, hardware-wise. Clevo has cheaper cards, they left out some of the components on the reference board. MSI cards seem to be the same as the Clevos, but no CF connector.

Thx a lot.

I might get another dell one since last resort solution would be swapping chip after all.

Just have to figure out my odd behavior of the laptop first on the RAM.

Sometimes CPUID gives me errormessage when starting, when it does it shows 4GB RAM and not much good information.

Normally if i start it right after windows is running so it could be that all initialization is not finished. If I restart it its without errormessage.

At times when it starts its showing my 8GB ram as single channel.

And other times dual channel.

In SDP tab in CPUID it always shows as different slot for the two. (would guess that should indicate dual channel)

Also trying to bench in T-stop, i have at times a 4-5 second longer test times. (19,5 sec compared to 14.5 sec)

Could have MoBo problems, need to find out before spending much more on new 7970M, but now i know what cards to get. Thx a lot. :-)

Got to find out what gives on MoBo..

Can try to re-flash the BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd part being that while BIOS almost never detects two RAM's, but mostly CPUID shows all the ram. When CPUID doesnt show correct amount of ram is when i try to start it to soon after windows start.

But it does vary between showing it as dual or single channel memory. Mostly dual but not always.

It is the same either i use the original 2*2 or my newer 2*4.

Will eventually try to swap to the original CPU to see if problem disappears.

Odd part being that while BIOS almost never detects two RAM's, but mostly CPUID shows all the ram. When CPUID doesnt show correct amount of ram is when i try to start it to soon after windows start.

But it does vary between showing it as dual or single channel memory. Mostly dual but not always.

It is the same either i use the original 2*2 or my newer 2*4.

Will eventually try to swap to the original CPU to see if problem disappears.

I know by personal experience that some of the modules not compatible ... I had to try two different 16GB sett to get it working with my 920XM QS cpu Corsair works but bios shows 0GB LOL I recon it could be your cpu.

I know my old 2 Gig sticks should work always, and my 4 gig sticks have worked before. MY 4 gigs are corsair.

If the problem is CPU not detecting but all programs show its using it, i might not buy another CPU later.

I have a 940 XM CPU.

Tried my original CPU 720 QM and now both my 4 gigs show up in BIOS.

Its not a 8 gig issue, since windows makes it discover a single 8 gig in task manager (not in BIOS of course)

This makes this a CPU issue.

Wonder what to do. My CPU is also slightly slower than other 940XM's.

The memory problems with my 940 is odd. In cpuinfo it all shows up, but BIOS and windows task manager it only shows one of the sticks. (first slot)

No, that can't be the problem. All Dell 7970m vbios have uefi support, including the 022.

From my experiences with the M15x I would say that you can always flash the vbios, but some versions will result in a black screen, requiring a blind flash to get it working again.

Of course, if that's not possible you can always just replace the vbios chip.

The Clevo and Dell card are different, hardware-wise. Clevo has cheaper cards, they left out some of the components on the reference board. MSI cards seem to be the same as the Clevos, but no CF connector.

Has anyone here tried the MSI 7970M cards in the R2? I don't mind not having the CF connector as I'm not planing to run CFX. My 6970M died few days ago and now I'm running on the old 4870 that came with my R2 until I get a replacement.