M18X R2 680M SLI GPU LOAD UNEVEN, Need Help BIG TIME!

ma®ximum

So, here is my bit of storey,

ok here comes another m18xr2 with some weird issues

had originally latest dell VBIOS 80.04.5B.00.02

Experienced some weird issues on 3dmark firestrike and cloudgate, etc GPU was setting its clocks to whatever it was its max (was 719mhz on original vbios) but GPU load fluctuated between 76-86% etc never more. This only happened if I set my GPU's in SLI Enabled mode. If I set it to single GPU mode GPU utilization was 99% no problem.

Thought that could have been driver issue, tried all, didnt help(yes clean driver uninstall, driversweeper, ccleaner, reinstall etc)

Thought must be the VBIOS is doing something, did grab svl7 VBIOS of the same version, but did not solve the problem. Tried OV/OC nothing helped.

Temps are stable solid sub 65c etc.

Also we tried few different versions of this VBIOS still no joy... however, I come to think, either:

My PSU is faulty?

My GPU's are on there last legs (unlikely, not stressed before)?

My SLI cable problem?

My motherboard problem?

After short run just to visualize what I experience here you can see what I mean:

mr5v.jpg

EDIT:

Also here is msiAB monitoring screenshot of crysis3 everything maxed out to very highest setting (v-sync OFF) OC to 901MHz GPU / OV 0.975v (monitoring @ 100ms refresh intervals)

3gtl.jpg

EDIT#2:

with help of svl7 I've downgraded to older vbios unlocked by svl7 (from 80.04.5B.00.02 to 80.04.33.00.32)

didnt help...

k113.jpg

any ideas????

Tell me what do you think what can it be?

• Founder

Try older drivers and see if you still have under utilization problems. Also try a benchmark like Valley and measure your utilization in that. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem because I see both your GPUs reaching max utilization. It is normal for them not to stay pegged at 100%.

well, here is my single GPU score's on 3dmark cloudgate

6u9t.jpg

performs pretty nice and even load if single GPU only... maybe my secondary GPU is no good?

Im on 314.22, I doubt older driver will sort my utilization issues.... however I will try, but which version do you suggest?

• Founder

Look at your gpu score. It went from 32k to 46k which means it is scaling just fine. I don't have the 780m so I'm not sure what the best driver would be. Also try running Valley benchmark.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Im not runing 780m SLI, its 680m SLI. I know about the score difference, but it should have been way higher in SLI because if you compare LOAD DIFFERENCES, single GPU mode - GPU utilization is nice and even at full clocks where in SLI mode - GPU utilization never cross more than 90% per each card.

I will do unigine heaven 4.0 on extreme now, will report soon.

EDIT:

here it goes, single 680m:

s08j.jpg

SLI 680m

fy1p.jpg

and also screenshot of TS and gpu's utilization problem while in SLI, see the curve?

dpze.jpg

Power draw from the wall peaked at 317 WAT's while CPU@ Stock, all fans @ max, GPUs Core's @ 901MHz & 0.987v

Glad you got it sorted. I did not realize that @ma®ximum and UltraGSM were one and the same person.

For the benefit of anyone else the runs into the same performance issues, this may help...

I doubt that you are having a hardware problem. I suspect an issue with software or configuration settings.

Is 3DMark the only benchmark with this issue, or do you see it with other benchmarks and games?

Here are a few possibilities:

• Be sure you are using a profile (Use the advanced 3D image settings) instead of the option to "Let the 3D application decide"
  • Be sure to set everything in the global profile to focus on performance instead of power savings or quality
    - in particular confirm the global profile has "Prefer maximum performance" (not Adaptive) for the Power management mode
  • Be sure you are using a modified profile for each of your games and benchmarks that is optimized
    - for 3DMark you must manually select AFR2 for good results
  • Be sure you do not have Windows Update KB2670838 installed - uninstall it if you do

post-119-14494996213104_thumb.jpg

If you have already tried the above suggestions, try using stock clocks and see if the erratic behavior improves. Your overclock may be near the edge of what stock voltage can support. Try a vBIOS with 1.050v or 1.087v instead of stock voltage. For +140 core overclock 1.050v is probably enough.

thanks bro, that helped a ton for me. Now researching the sweet spot for voltage/clocks and CPU tuning, etc etc... also getting few more PSU's to get them rocking as one, as single PSU pulling well over 410watt is somewhat expecting to be bottleneck of a power line very soon!