780m GTX - M17xR3 integrated soundcard working again! NO MORE USB SOUNDCARD!

link3rd

• 2 weeks later...
Wow!!! I cannot thank you enough!

This has totally fixed my issues! No more weird screens at startup, and sleep mode works just fine! I am seriously in your debt!

Good to read it solved your problem.

There is an additional catch though.

In the following forum it says you can improve the sound quality: M17XR3 IDT Windows 8 Driver v.6.10.0.6421 Maxx Audio 3 + Quality

This update does not seem to work because of this power management setting, which (I think) like is default unchecked in this version.

I think the old driver v.6330 IDT 92HD73 has this default enabled, so no black / white etc screens.

This does however restrict the sound improvement, because power management needs to be disabled. @J95: any ideas to workaround?

It's not unchecked, you need to disable power management the same way http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/3549-m17xr3-m18xr1-idt-windows-8-driver-v-6-10-0-6421-maxx-audio-3-quality.html still this version won't work properly w/ 780m, differently 680m has no issues so far.

OK. But even with the previous version: v.6330 IDT 92HD73 I cannot uncheck, because if I do, my screen goes blank (different colors:).

Any ideas why that is and is there a solution?

Is it true that to enjoy the Maxx Audio improvements to the fullest, unchecking he power management option is necessary?

OK. But even with the previous version: v.6330 IDT 92HD73 I cannot uncheck, because if I do, my screen goes blank (different colors:).

Any ideas why that is and is there a solution?

Is it true that to enjoy the Maxx Audio improvements to the fullest, unchecking he power management option is necessary?

It will lower the sound level.

• 7 months later...
How do you install the IDT drivers while its Disabled in Bios, when i try to install the IDT driver it says no hardware is found.

u need to have the 780m out of the laptop to have the soundcard enabled in order to install the IDT driver. i don't know why this is the case, because i enabled audio once my 780m was recognized and it didn't install. I had to take it out to get it to work. I put in my old 6990m, enabled audio, installed driver, disabled audio, swapped to 780m, started ok, then i reenabled the audio and everything worked. i know this because i had to reinstall windows when i changed my secondary hdd to a 2TD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think my old GFX card is dead, can i install the IDT drivers with no dedicated GFX installed and then disable IDT in Bios and then install the 780m.

i"m not 100% sure, but yea, try that. I just know that u cant do it with the 780m installed. u want to try it with the iGPU? just make sure to disable it when installing the 780m again.

Okay, i got it fixed in an alternative way, but it works.......... I enabled IDT and booted into safe mode and installed the IDT driver, restarted and then went into Bios disabled IDT and booted normally (without driver signing) and installed Nvidia driver, restarted and enabled IDT in Bios again and booted normally, and now it works. :) It took some tries but i managed to get it running without any dissassembly. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, i got it fixed in an alternative way, but it works.......... I enabled IDT and booted into safe mode and installed the IDT driver, restarted and then went into Bios disabled IDT and booted normally (without driver signing) and installed Nvidia driver, restarted and enabled IDT in Bios again and booted normally, and now it works. :) It took some tries but i managed to get it running without any dissassembly. :D

thanks, that's good to know. I've had my old card on me since, lol, now i can toss it. :P i'll keep note of that if i want to upgrade to windows 10! I really hate taking apart my computer after all the headache with my upgrades. U have no idea the trouble i went through with my gpu, cpu and hdd upgrades... the headaches were in decreasing order however, but trouble nonetheless. I was hoping that the secondary hdd upgrade was the last time i had to take apart my laptop.

• 1 month later...

I am having issues getting IDT back up after replacing my 780m GTX. I have the 12A modded bios + unlocked Tech Inferno's bios on the card. Everytime I enable the sound it boots to the desktop for a moment then renders a black screen. Any tips?

Ok, found out my own issue last night with the 780m GTX. Believe it or not my Razr Naga 2014 was the cuase of this issue. There is an update from Microsoft specifically for this issue so it is very software related.

Between a k4000m OC'ed and a 780m GTX stock the 780 win. The reason isn't clock of memory or core, even though you can get some insane numbers on the k4000m it the fact that it using a PCIe 2.0 standard instead of 3.0 is the bottle neck. I believe this is controlled either in the driver or bios since the hardware is an identical match on the 780m GTX so I challedge the better part of Tech Inferno to figure out the setting difference between these bios and drivers.

This is a call out to those who were being little pricks. No thanks to the trolls on this site for actually explainning this who were saying "There no way you can get those speeds" on a Quodro. This was found out and seeking this information out just makes it a better site, no thanks to you.

• 9 months later...

I know this thread has been dead for about a year now, but still I hope someone could help me.

I have recently bought a GTX 780M and have successfully installed it in my M17xR3. After I had some problems with thermal throttling i managed to sort that out. (If anyone needs advice - Feel free to send me a message)

Now I still have the problem with the IDT. I have a M17xR3 with a 120hz 3d display. I tried everything listed here multiple times but it never worked out. Sometimes i get colourful screens, other times just black and white screens. Is there any possibility that there is another way to solve this? I would really love to see IDT working again on my laptop but I can't seem to find any possibility to get it working. Maybe there is some kind of driver mod or vbios flash to fix it, if anyone knows something, please let me know! 

• 4 weeks later...

hi 

i have alienware m17x r3 

windows 7 64 bit sp1 

bios flash A12

sorry for jumping in on the post but i really need help ive followed the instructions step by step  got past the white screen got enabled the sound in the bios, windows boots up and starts my sound is working BUT  now the nvidia installer is not detecting the hardware gtx 780m.

i have a alienware m17x r3 

the bios shows the gtx nvidia 

ive updated IDT drivers sound working 

updated the PCI drivers 

can someone show me the correct links or instruction on how to the nvidia driver installer locates the hardware

reagrds

• 4 weeks later...

Howto install IDT audio driver onto a clean windows install with m17x r3 + 780m.

When I first installed my 780m I had a good Windows 10 setup and didn’t have to mess with audio at all. Now I did a clean install of Windows 8/8.1/10 on my new ssd. After the first reboot of install, windows logo loads, then a random solid color, system beep every 3 minutes or so.

After disabling the idt audio in bios, I installed and booted into windows 10, yay. Installed system drivers, nvidia drivers (video driver mod instructions: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/2878-m17x-r3-gpu-upgrade-to-gtx-780m/&page=10 get driver from nvidia and find/replace in nvdmi.inf), but audio driver won’t install because it is disabled in bios. If you enable audio in bios and reboot goes through windows logo loading then black screen. (might have been random colors if I rebooted again)

Download drivers from dell support site (they are win7 drivers but install to win10, some drivers are already installed on win10) except nvidia driver.

The Clean Install:

1. Disable audio in bios, install and boot windows. Install drivers per: http://alienwareusersupport.weebly.com/upgrading-to-an-ssd.html

2. To install the IDT audio driver:

3. Reboot into safe mode (Win10: settings, update, recovery, advanced startup: reboot. Choose Safe Mode option after reboot.)

4. On reboot into safe mode, press F2 to go into bios when you see it (after advanced startup reboot).

5. Now enable IDT audio in bios.

6. Save and continue from bios.

7. Windows loads into safe mode.

8. Now install IDT audio driver. Success!

9. Reboot. You might be done at this point!

10. On the first reboot, after showing Windows login screen briefly, my screen went black. I waited a minute then held power button 10 seconds to turn off. Turned back on and Windows booted up and I logged in and I’ve been running successfully for 5 minutes so far! Audio plays fine. When I plugged speakers into jack Windows downloaded and installed .net 3.5. Now I’ve got IDT audio notifications.

Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

hello....i have an alienware m17 r3....last year i installed gtx 780m succesfully......my laptop worked perfectly.

after a format/clean install of windows i do all of these things... my gtx 780m works and i have sound too but if i click the sound icon my laptop freezes and i get a yellow screen. (the buttons over the keyboard with sound works fine)

what i need to do?

sorry for my bad english!

• 1 year later...
On 03.10.2013 at 6:10 PM, link3rd said:

So i decided that i will take out the 6990m card again! Take out the battery, put in the battery first, so it would get power without the card being in there, put in the card and screwed back everything and booted... It worked!!!!:78:

So my theory:

1/ beeping like crazy???: Pullout mobo battery, pull out card. Put back in card then battery (I think this will only happen with the A12 bios, because it never happened with the A08 bios before)

Sorry for reviving old post but first you wrote that battery should go first and later you wrote that card should go first...

• 3 months later...

Hello, could you tell me, what am I doing wrong if Im successful only 1 time of 20 tries(full clean Windows 10 install with several Nvidia GTX 870M driver versions from Techinferno-last 388.13, sound and graphics worked together on Windows 10 Creators Update, now when I clean install it, doesn't work anymore, also on new Fall Creators Update) , when HD audio in BIOS is enabled it always ends up with some solid color when logging  in. With disabled HD audio the graphic and everything works perfect. Im desperate, please help. And sorry for my English.  Thank you very much