Laptop Cooling Pad

krwilson

As a quick fix, getting an egg carton and using that to allow for proper ventilation under the laptop also helps a little. From what I heard, a laptop cooler just simply gives the laptop the airflow it needs. How much does it really improve the temperatures by? Also, about how long can one see a laptop cooler last?

I've had several laptop coolers, and they last about 2 years. The fan's bearings go and it makes a nasty sound. They also suck, with a measly 5V USB powered fan.

I got a Cooler Master fan with a big center fan, and it got me thinking there's got to be more.

I made one with two 200mm Cooler Master fans ( COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AR-GP Case Fan - Newegg.com ).

And wood. It's sized for a 15" laptop, as it was originally for my old HP Firebreather.

Shmexy Fan - Imgur for pictures.

This keeps my Y410P cool (75C on GPU, 85C CPU under artificial full loads of wPrime + Heaven with components OC'd).

Uses 2 200mm fans, a 12 V, 1 A DC power supply, and a fan power splitter cable to connect the fans to the DC power supply. The fans run at full tilt, but are completely silent. There's no need for speed control. They do glow red, I'd cut the LED wires if I wanted it to not glow red.

I made a lower profile version for my cousin, but I don't got pictures of it. It was about as thick as the 200mm fans and meant to be used in your lap like a regular laptop cooler. Used thick metal mesh to keep stuff out of the fans.

Basically, make a bitchin cooler out of giant fans and you can't go wrong! Costs about 40 bucks when you get the 200mm fans on sale for $10 a piece.

• 1 month later...

I'd look at temperatures with HW monitor. If everything is below 85C you're fine, but if throttling happens, then the laptop's internal cooling must not be doing enough. If cleaning out the dust with some compressed air doesn't help, then a cooling pad would be in order. I just raise mine off of my desk with a few risers. (3D printed ones too!)

I've used this for about 5 years now and it works really well. It's got pretty good air flow and not noisy at all. Fan speed is also adjustable but I usually leave it at the fastest setting. I used to have a Sager NP9262/Clevo D901C and it worked well for that laptop, my y510p now doesn't get nearly as hot now. Just remember to clean the fans once in a while with air to get rid of the dust.

Amazon.com: Notebook Cooler, Silver, ZM-NC2000: Electronics

Amazon.com: eForCity 3-Fans USB Cooling Pad for Notebooks/PC (335884): Computers & Accessories

I use this. The I feel like if I put it in my car to bring to a friend's house, it'd break. The build quality is worse than plastic forks and spoons and the lights are annoyingly bright, but that thing outputs some serious air flow!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

I would recommend this colling pad - CollerMaster Notepal U2 or U3 - I have to say that's cheap but GOOD!!!. I am using it for Ideapad Y500 with SLI 650m GTs. With both overclocked to max (with locked bios +135MHz) I am around 80°C without colling pad. When I use cooling pad, I'll get temperature drop about 10°C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...