Laptop Cooling Pad

krwilson

Maybe try to clen your fans from dust by using compressed airs and vacum. You can try repasting cpu and gpu. And finnaly cooling pad. Dont buy cheap colling pad cause they are not working. Friend of mine is using zelman nc1300 and achive 4 to 7 celcius degrees less on his cpu and gpu.

Like Wujtas mentioned, get one as an addition to cleaning and repasting cpu/gpu. I recommend the ones with more features such as adjusting the laptop height, on/off button(maybe a fan adjustment button as well), adjusting the fans positions, etc. I have this one and I recommend it. Can't vouch for its durability since I've only had it for three months but so far the pad works great, keeps my Y410P cool, isn't noisy, and enables me to use the laptop monitor as a second monitor when at the workstation since it's now aligned in height with my external monitor.

Dan

I bough this cooler master laptop cooler. It works great. It has a big fan so it's pretty quiet. Though on high speed it does make a little fan wobble noise. This particular one is powered by USB and has two USB ports on the back. It also has an adjustable fan speed knob on the side and a power on / off button on the back.

One thing that I don't like about it is the blue LED's. But, to be honest the laptop covers them up (even still, I'll probably open this thing up and snip them at some point). This particular laptop cooler just barely fits my Lenovo Y510P. It should fit Y400's and Y410's great! This laptop cooler seems to work well. It cools things down a bit, but not by a major amount. No laptop cooler will. As mentioned above, so long as the laptop can get air and isn't sucked onto the sheets things should keep pretty cool. The best thing to do is keep the fans and heatsink fins clean. The next best thing to do is repaste the the CPU and GPU(s) with better thermal paste compound (which is something that I do myself).

Try to find a cooler with a larger fan. Larger fans tend to be quieter and move the ~same amount of air.

Best of luck!

Like Wujtas mentioned, get one as an addition to cleaning and repasting cpu/gpu. I recommend the ones with more features such as adjusting the laptop height, on/off button(maybe a fan adjustment button as well), adjusting the fans positions, etc. I have this one and I recommend it. Can't vouch for its durability since I've only had it for three months but so far the pad works great, keeps my Y410P cool, isn't noisy, and enables me to use the laptop monitor as a second monitor when at the workstation since it's now aligned in height with my external monitor.

Dan

I took my y500 apart, and did not need to reseat or reapply thermal paste, I have ICY DIAMOND and Artic Silver still from my desktop days (refrigerate it stays good). The paste on there was of the correct texture and color and well spread. So I didn't even wasted my time. I am going to add larger rear feet for it to sit. Maybe put a 120mm fan and plop it under or to the side.

One thing to consider: Many, if not the most of those laptop coolers have 2 pointy, collapsible legs to lift the cooling pad above the desk.

What that means is that some of them are not suitable to use on your lap. I spent some time trying to find one that had good reviews, price, and one I could use on a desk, on lap (it is a LAPtop, right?), and in bed. Don't forget that if that is also important factor to you.

i have a coolmaster cooling pad which has three fans and you can place them anywhere you would like, which helps a lot since i can put one fan over under the air intake and one under the gpu and the other the cpu. It was relatively cheap also I believe only about $20 and can pick it up at best buy. I have had mine for about a year and it still runs great especially for when I am gaming.

• 1 month later...
The y500 is no reasonable "laptop" for gaming, I mean without AC atleast. lol trust me 2 hours. and its deaddddddd.

lol, without AC the graphics card are clocked @ 100 MHz, which is even worse than Intel HD grahics.

I personally use this http://www.amazon.ca/Targus-AWE55US-Chill-Black-Gray/dp/B002NU5O9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386036584&sr=8-1&keywords=targus+laptop+pad

Pretty cheap and gets the job done, pretty useful when you want to use the laptop on a sofa or other nonconventional places. It definitely doesn't feel icy as other cooling pads though and feels very comfortable.

Dell sometimes sell it for super cheap, and all you have to do is price match with brick and mortar stores like bestbuy or futureshop.

you might want to try a laptop vent cooler in tandem with a laptop cooling pad

Evercool FIT NB-FT1 Notebook Cooler Review - Performance and Conclusion

this specific unit dropped the temp by 1-2 degrees but a better one might acheive 2-5 degrees which when in tandem with a cooling pad that reduces the temp by a further 2-5 is a pretty decent solution