alienware 17 power setting issue

John Wong

Problem at hand: Auto dim. After it hits a certain threshold on battery life (In this case, it seems to range to anything from 30-50%, which is ridiculous), the monitor gets extremely dim, and my USB ports get disabled. In order to restore normal functionality, I have to plug in the power cord. As you can see, this can be quite annoying. I've already tried adjusting the power settings via CMD (by manually adding in the Scheme_GUID), and tried adjusting it from within the registry by adding the Scheme_GUID there - No dice. I'm most likely going to call Alienware in the AM, but would like to get everyone's opinion here first. Note - I've already gone through several Nvidia drivers, some of which prompt incompatibility issues with my hardware, and others prompting the same error.

Drivers tried:

311.48 (current, recommended drivers from Dell site for my laptop)

Specs are as follows:

Alienware MX17

Windows 8 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel i7-4700 MQ 2.40 GHZ (not overclocked)

Geforce 770M (not overclocked)

Intel HD Graphics 4600

16GB ram

DX version 11

Power settings:

Dim display after: 0 minutes for both (plugged in and on battery)

Turn off display after: Never for both

Display brightness: 100% for both

USB selective suspend setting: Disabled for both