svl7 we need you for Windows 8.1 :)

Florin

Are you refering to the SLI enabled bios for windows 8.1? If so they are on page 7. The only waiting we are doing at this point is the unlocked versions of the released firmwares courtesy of slv7. Unless you plan on overclocking your gpus beyond what can be achieved with MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision then feel free to wait, but from my playtesting and tinkering, there isnt any real gain for me in my testing between locked put at max settings from the programs (750ms) for me max at 1189mhz core and the highest I could get stable was maybe 15-20mhz faster than that with the unlocked bios pre-8.1 so... yeah. For me I'm not necessarily needing modded bios but it prettier if they match I suppose...

Are you refering to the SLI enabled bios for windows 8.1? If so they are on page 7. The only waiting we are doing at this point is the unlocked versions of the released firmwares courtesy of slv7. Unless you plan on overclocking your gpus beyond what can be achieved with MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision then feel free to wait, but from my playtesting and tinkering, there isnt any real gain for me in my testing between locked put at max settings from the programs (750ms) for me max at 1189mhz core and the highest I could get stable was maybe 15-20mhz faster than that with the unlocked bios pre-8.1 so... yeah. For me I'm not necessarily needing modded bios but it prettier if they match I suppose...

For 750M/755m maybe not, but there are huge overclocking gains to be realized with 650M since it is clocked a few hundred MHz lower. For instance, I'm running my 650M SLI +330 MHz core on stock voltage, which would not be possible through MSI Afterburner on the stock vBIOS.

For those of you wanting mods for the recent vBIOS updates, I submitted a new vBIOS mod request to svl7 here: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/4635-bios-vbios-modification-request-thread-svl7-6.html#post72163

Feel free to test it out and provide feedback once the mods are released. I can't really test it out myself since I'm still on Windows 8 and won't be updating to 8.1.

This is gonna sound a bit noobish, but should we flash the vbios from Windows 8 or 8.1...? I'm just curious if it matters or if I'm just being overly concerned a out how to go a about this.

I recently restored my Y500 to factory image and tried to install Windows 8.1. The update kept failing over and over again (with error 0x80004005, apparently something to do with drivers), until I removed the second GPU from the ultrabay. So that might be something to take into consideration!

Factory image sucks, just my 2 cents. Fresh install with clean image + drivers from support.lenovo.com and third party vendors = success! Everything will be fine as long as you know what you are doing.

Yes, I know factory image isn't as good as fresh install. The problem is I don't have any medium right now to fresh install Windows. The disks I have don't seem to work and I couldn't be bothered looking up a torrent. Lenovo doesn't have much bloatware anyway, and I have uninstalled everything I don't want. But the reinstall of Windows 8.1 had nothing to do with factory image, and my point was that Windows 8.1 update didn't like the second GPU's new VBIOS.

• 3 months later...

Ok, read every page on this thread. I've been working on updating my bios via the official lenovo release update for my Lenovo y500 dual SLI 650M. But no luck and soooo frustrated. I have Titanfall and plays well I guess (I'm use to PS3) but want what I paid for and that is Dual graphic cards SLI to work in Win 8.1 Pro.

I uninstall the latest nvidia cards and went back to default nvidia cards 307.64 as a few mentioned on the lenovo forums that worked for them for nvidia to see the 2 cards and allow the bios flash. Then you would update to latest (335 I believe after it worked).

I've tried every way I found online to do. Have not tried to install to DOS USB stick and boot to it.

Here are some images of what errors and stuff I've gotten to hopefully help you help me. And I WILL buy you some beers or whatever $30 bucks gets you via paypal for the help!

My ignorant understanding this it is from the cmd prompt say Unconfigured Display adapter, etc. But don't know why?

post-24442-14494997352568_thumb.png

post-24442-14494997353542_thumb.png

post-24442-14494997354372_thumb.png

post-24442-14494997355308_thumb.png

post-24442-14494997356102_thumb.png

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Chris

From my point of view, there are a lot of mistakes you did.

1. Always do it in DOS mode. It is better when upgrading firmware versions.

2. If not in DOS mode, be sure that you CMD is launched as an administrator (run as administrator). Doesn't matter if your account has local admin rights, it is not the same.

3. What does it say when you hit nvflash --protectoff? (I can't see because the windows are overlapping) . Run it again with cmd as administrator.

4. Don't use that version of nvflash, try with 5.128.

Advice for future use: don't place important files on desktop profile. Use a folder in a local partition, because how you have it now, makes everything to depend on your profile, every path needs to access your account.

From my point of view, there are a lot of mistakes you did.

1. Always do it in DOS mode. It is better when upgrading firmware versions.

2. If not in DOS mode, be sure that you CMD is launched as an administrator (run as administrator). Doesn't matter if your account has local admin rights, it is not the same.

3. What does it say when you hit nvflash --protectoff? (I can't see because the windows are overlapping) . Run it again with cmd as administrator.

4. Don't use that version of nvflash, try with 5.128.

Advice for future use: don't place important files on desktop profile. Use a folder in a local partition, because how you have it now, makes everything to depend on your profile, every path needs to access your account.

Ok, Thanks so much for your time and help here!!

I will move files to downloads or documents.

Doing nvflash --protectoff it says Unconfigured Display Adapter every time: post-24442-14494997365442_thumb.png

Will use nvflash version 5.128 as well.

Will report back this evening or morning for sure!

Thanks again!!

Chris

Hmm, let's rewind.

Please try to update using DOS mode.

Use these 2 files:

nvflash: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35135276/NVFLASH/nvflash.exe

vbios.bat: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35135276/NVFLASH/Vbios.bat

edit the bat file to reflect the name of your rom. or simple rename your rom file to match the one in the bat file.

Copy these 2 files on the stick.

Boot to DOS and run vbios.bat

The bat file has everything it needs to perform the update of the vbios.

Well, I'm at my wits end. Never had such a problem or headache with a pc until win 8 and 8.1, no problems since 2004 on any of my macs. I'm Really looking at biting the bullet and going through the downgrade (upgrade in my mind) to Win 7 Pro. I have Win8.1 Pro and it is free to do just all the re-installing and tweaking again and lose the 16GB SSD. I guess I could remove it and make it work as a external drive or something.

SLI seems to be fine on Win 7 and folks are happy with same pc and lot faster. My HP Probook with less memory and processor is way faster than win 8 pc.

If you think you can help via remote connection, I will wait and pay you for the help.

Again, the biggest thing to me and I am no pro at this, is windows say error 31 and disabling the 2nd graphic card and then in all the trys to re-flash and such, it says Unconfigured Display adapter for it. The time it seemed to flash was when I disable and re-enabled the graphic card in device manager and it stuck and said working then did the lenovo bios update files and seemed to work but after restart back in same situation.

Thanks again!

• Bios Modder
Well, I'm at my wits end. Never had such a problem or headache with a pc until win 8 and 8.1, no problems since 2004 on any of my macs. I'm Really looking at biting the bullet and going through the downgrade (upgrade in my mind) to Win 7 Pro. I have Win8.1 Pro and it is free to do just all the re-installing and tweaking again and lose the 16GB SSD. I guess I could remove it and make it work as a external drive or something.

SLI seems to be fine on Win 7 and folks are happy with same pc and lot faster. My HP Probook with less memory and processor is way faster than win 8 pc.

If you think you can help via remote connection, I will wait and pay you for the help.

Again, the biggest thing to me and I am no pro at this, is windows say error 31 and disabling the 2nd graphic card and then in all the trys to re-flash and such, it says Unconfigured Display adapter for it. The time it seemed to flash was when I disable and re-enabled the graphic card in device manager and it stuck and said working then did the lenovo bios update files and seemed to work but after restart back in same situation.

Thanks again!

Y500: SLI is not working after Windows 8.1 upgrade - Lenovo Community

@Klem don't miss inform him. That is an old topic that was solved.

I have Windows 8.1 PRO and I was one of the active users who pushed Lenovo and NVidia to find a solution. At some point Lenovo leaked the ROM before they officially uploaded on their website. I was able to update my vBIOS on the 2nd GPU.

I am currently on 8.1 with SLI on playing games like DotA2 or CS:GO.

@zencowboy007, give me a time frame on Friday, please specify the time zone also. I am on GMT+2 on Friday(Europe). Until then please upgrade to 2.04 BIOS.

There is no need for money, I am trying to help because I find it challenging.

If by some ends we manage to get through this you can donate to @svl7 who made all the tutorials that helped me to learn all this stuff.

• Bios Modder
@Klem don't miss inform him. That is an old topic that was solved.

I have Windows 8.1 PRO and I was one of the active users who pushed Lenovo and NVidia to find a solution. At some point Lenovo leaked the ROM before they officially uploaded on their website. I was able to update my vBIOS on the 2nd GPU.

I am currently on 8.1 with SLI on playing games like DotA2 or CS:GO.

Ooo... Excuse me, and please dont worry! I just want to help him, and put this link where many guys discuss about that and in final they find solution. And yes, this solution - is new bios and vbios from Lenovo. Excuse me again.