svl7 we need you for Windows 8.1 :)

Florin

Hi @svl7, do you think you can make some time investigating why on 8.1 only the primary GPU is recognized? Thus SLI can't be enabled?

NVidia claims is because of the gpu bios from the ultrabay, which I hardly believe.

I have the gpus flashed with the bios found here.

I've gotten both GPUs to show up in Nvidia Inspector by installing the drivers from March. It sometimes keeps working after a reboot other times it doesn't, it would be nice to not have to deal with it. But there definitely is a way to get it working again :)

I've had the same problem i am currently burning a windows 7 and 8 disk so i am going to try through the night to see if the drivers fucks up as well.

So far i have figured out the 314 driver from lenovo works under 8.1 and the new beta as long as you don't restart the computer afterwards.

Well last night i installed windows 8 instead of windows 8.1, install med nvidia beta drivers along with the lenovo drivers, on time the computer crashed during restart but it didn't loose the sli settings. So i think we need to wait for the full version of 8.1 and not the rtm, then driver issues should have resolved themself by that time.

Well last night i installed windows 8 instead of windows 8.1, install med nvidia beta drivers along with the lenovo drivers, on time the computer crashed during restart but it didn't loose the sli settings. So i think we need to wait for the full version of 8.1 and not the rtm, then driver issues should have resolved themself by that time.

Well I received answer on their forum:

"Dear FlorinAnghel,

Welcome to Lenovo Community,

Unfortunately sir, the official release date of windows 8.1 and its support will start on 18-10-2013, so until then we will not be able to provide you with a release date of the Drivers for Windows 8.1.

Best Regards,

Assal

"

Don't know if I should believe him, he is implying that a driver will come.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope so too.

He is hopefully correct, there is no logical reason why you shouldn't release drivers to a Windows 8-branded laptop.

8.1 is such an improvement over 8 so I reaally want them to land soon :)

Lenovo answer today "http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/nvga138w8164.exe" this put up 307.64 driver on win 8.1 and its work!!!

I hope this is not the only solution because we dont have support for newer games....

milotait that is an older driver, but you are right, they made it for 8.1 Unfortunately we need the fix from this driver to work on future drivers. Maybe slv7 can take a look into it, if he knows the drill of drives and inf's :D

Later Edit: I have updated my OS to Windows 8.1 x64, I have installed the driver from Lenovo, SLI is enabled, both GPUs are working BUT [CRITICAL] freeze happens while trying to play Dota2 for example.

In main menu all is fine, as soon as I hit to play, at loading screen it freezes. If I choose to watch a match, exactly after loading screen it freezes the laptop and the only thing left to do is shutdown laptop. WTF Lenovo?!

I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 8.1 64-bit. I just updated my OS today and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia for the 650m SLI (327.23), the second card is visible but not functional. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is what the Device Manager displays for the ultrabay GPU. I did read somewhere as well that the vbios for the second GPU is not being updated with the first.

I am experiencing the same issue with Windows 8.1 64-bit. I just updated my OS today and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia for the 650m SLI (327.23), the second card is visible but not functional. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" is what the Device Manager displays for the ultrabay GPU. I did read somewhere as well that the vbios for the second GPU is not being updated with the first.

I think this is not a vbios problem....

lenovo provides drivers for the y500 - nvidia 307.xx - (release date 16.10.2013 for win 8.1 x64) - i tried several drivers but this one is the only one which is partially working - i'd serveral crashes with different games and long loading times (for exapmle in bioshock, stalker). i'm thinking about to sell my ideapad because of the worst support have been around.

How about you guys stop using Windows 8.1 and just go back to 8? Seems like the logical thing to do until this is sorted out since this is obviously a big deal and much more system-breaking than not having the latest OS update. And what's so great about 8.1 anyway that's worth going through all this suffering?

How about you guys stop using Windows 8.1 and just go back to 8? Seems like the logical thing to do until this is sorted out since this is obviously a big deal and much more system-breaking than not having the latest OS update. And what's so great about 8.1 anyway that's worth going through all this suffering?

While I'm not normally the kind of person that runs away from new tech just because of a few bugs, this is what I did because I'm just not in for the headache.

While I'm not normally the kind of person that runs away from new tech just because of a few bugs, this is what I did because I'm just not in for the headache.

windows 8 is a cluster headache. I cant stand it, its made for a touch screen or a tablet. This should have never be released as a OS. Ill stick to my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Thank you!

Well I got the SLI working using 314.22 from NVidia and setting certain SLI compatibility bits for Dota2.

CS:GO works on SLI also with some issues like if you ALT+TAB the stuttering comes back and you have to go vsync on off each time to fix this. This issue was on Windows8 too.

Official answer from geforce forum posted by a moderator:

["ManuelG"] Changes to WIndows 8.1 and how it treats adapters connected to a display requires a VBIOS update for the 2nd GPU. You will need to contact Lenovo for this.

Yeah, that ManuelG guy is annoying, he always blames others and makes only empty promises... Lenovo can't just release a new vbios, that's all up to Nvidia.

Yeah, that ManuelG guy is annoying, he always blames others and makes only empty promises... Lenovo can't just release a new vbios, that's all up to Nvidia.

Not to mention he never, ever responds to PM's, even though his signature clearly says you can reach him through there.

True or not, this thing made Lenovo answer on their forum, and they will look into the problem. If it will be a new vBIOS or some new driver from NVidia that can fix things we don't know, but at least is a step forward.