Windows 8.1 RTM sli issuse

liteon6x

There is a horrible bug with windows 8.1 RTM/final and the 650m/750m sli configs.

No driver even the latest 331.40 driver

seems to fix this bug

I have this exact same issue on Y510p SLI on 8.1 x64. I thought the beta drivers would fix it. At the moment, the second GPU is doing nothing...

Not sure how to flash the GPU, and not really sure how this would help.

Any suggestions?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/615173/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-331-40-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-30-13-/post/3957733/#3957733

1379957 - 331.40 bug

"TDR in SLI mode with UEFI enabled upon reboot/driver install (will be fixed in next beta release. Disable UEFI as temporary workaround)"

Try disabling secure boot, use legacy mode instead...it may work with previous drivers too.

• Thumbs Up 1

J95 this is not what they are reporting. You can install the drivers, that post that you are saying is a workaround when you can't even boot into OS because it crashes. They know about the UEFI bug and it will be fixed.

However regarding the second GPU they are blaming Lenovo because it doesn't update the vbios of the second GPU.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/615173/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-331-40-beta-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-9-30-13-/post/3957733/#3957733

1379957 - 331.40 bug

"TDR in SLI mode with UEFI enabled upon reboot/driver install (will be fixed in next beta release. Disable UEFI as temporary workaround)"

Try disabling secure boot, use legacy mode instead...it may work with previous drivers too.

Yeah this bug is unrelated, but I did have to disable UEFI after upgrading to 331.40 beta because I would get these display driver crashes when gaming in SLI. I'm still running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit at the moment, and this 8.1 SLi issue just gives me one more reason not to upgrade. I'd suggest the people affected by this to revert back to Windows 8 in the meantime, unless you are an avid Metro user and somehow enjoy how M$ gussied up Modern UI in 8.1. As far as gaming performance is concerned there's no reason to be on 8.1, or even 8 for that matter, as Kepler GPU's don't even support DirectX 11.1, to say nothing of 11.2 which is an API exclusive to Windows 8.1.

It is a different issue but you could try it anyway...seems like someone had success enabling SLI using 320.49 Y500 SLI doesn't work after Windows 8.1 preview - Lenovo Community

I tried with these 320.49 drivers. They installed successfully, and Nvidia control panel had SLI enabled, but CPU-Z reported that only one GPU was working. The frame rates is also the same without SLI enabled.

• 3 weeks later...

DON'T update to windows 8.1 yet.....

I thought it was a service pack 1 update so I installed (STUPID), now SLI doesn't work, text is blurry in some places (Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Management). I'm not going to wait for a patch to fix this issue since no one knows when they will release one. I'm downgrading back to Windows 8 and will only updating when there are no big issues....

I just updated to the new NVidia drivers R331. It seem to have fixed the SLI display card error in device manager but however in the NVidia control panel, it still doesn't show SLI options. Don't know if this is good or bad.....

We got answer from lenovo, in official forum:

All,

I appreciate the frustration, and I know you have been working on this since September. That said, we couldn't escalate issues to engineering until Windows 8.1 became official. We passed that gate on the 17th, so it is fair game now.

I saw your tweets, and also note that this thread has gone from 1 to 8 pages, driven by some very motivated folks. Please keep in mind that the forum is primarily peer to peer, and as you scan other boards, there are plenty of threads demanding Lenovo attention, so you aren't being deliberately ignored .

I acknowledge your concerns and we'll try to help you get this solved. It may be that development teams already know about this - I'll need to look into it to see what is already in progress. We can open a new case based on this discussion.

I think one of the recent comments urging a recap of the situation is helpful.

We need to focus on how the Lenovo provided drivers don't work, and the symptoms - the 2nd card isn't recognized at all, doesn't work in games, produces blurry graphics etc. If you want to reference Nvidia OEM versions, that's great, but we can't focus the case on them since we support our versions.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Mark

We got answer from lenovo, in official forum:

All,

I appreciate the frustration, and I know you have been working on this since September. That said, we couldn't escalate issues to engineering until Windows 8.1 became official. We passed that gate on the 17th, so it is fair game now.

I saw your tweets, and also note that this thread has gone from 1 to 8 pages, driven by some very motivated folks. Please keep in mind that the forum is primarily peer to peer, and as you scan other boards, there are plenty of threads demanding Lenovo attention, so you aren't being deliberately ignored .

I acknowledge your concerns and we'll try to help you get this solved. It may be that development teams already know about this - I'll need to look into it to see what is already in progress. We can open a new case based on this discussion.

I think one of the recent comments urging a recap of the situation is helpful.

We need to focus on how the Lenovo provided drivers don't work, and the symptoms - the 2nd card isn't recognized at all, doesn't work in games, produces blurry graphics etc. If you want to reference Nvidia OEM versions, that's great, but we can't focus the case on them since we support our versions.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Mark

So alot of bulshit again, first Lenovo i have ever bought (y510p, gt755m sli), but i am starting to think that maybe that was a mistake whitelist, crappy drivers.

Does GPU-Z or Nvidia Inspector show both cards active?

After again today.... it seem that device manager gets an error one of the cards again. In GPU-Z it says the other card is "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor".

Lenovo answer today:

Hi All,

I've just got an update and expecting the development team to release the vBios soon next week or two. Will update you guys later with the progress.

Thanks!

Regards,

Cleo

Cleo said the same thing on another forum. Hopefully this is true.

That said, we couldn't escalate issues to engineering until Windows 8.1 became official.

Seriously? A major OEM manufacturer didn't choose to support the next major release of an operating system, despite ~6 months of access to preview and RTM, until retail release? With all the issues about common problems customers will encounter and the history of 0-day problems with MS major updates?

Sigh... Someone's management needs firing :)

Thanks to UltimaClaud, I managed to flash both my Y500's BIOS and the VBIOS of my 650m ultrabay! Not sure if there'll be any difference at all when Lenovo outside China releases a VBIOS, but the files UltimaClaud linked work like a charm!

Anyway, got the BIOS and VBIOS files from this entry, and then I had to apply a little of my own experimenting skills, using stuff from various threads and webpages. Below is a copy-paste from another thread on how I did this.

Got it working by downloading the files (BIOS v2.04 and vbios650sli), creating a DOS bootable USB stick using Rufus and downloading the latest NVflash for DOS.

From the latest NVflash zip, I took the files CWSDPMI.exe and NVFLASH.exe and replaced the ones in the unzipped VBIOS folder from Sendspace (otherwise I got a "Cannot be run in DOS mode" while trying to flash), and dumping all the files into the root directory of my DOS ready USB stick.

Restarted > F2 > Boot > Boot Mode: Legacy support > save and exit.

I did have to turn off EEPROM write protection using nvflash --protectoff for the flashing to work. Then I flashed the VBIOS by typing "nvflash -i1 -6 7003A.rom" (i1 indicating the ultrabay card). (more on flashing VBIOS here)

Works like a charm, tried it with some basic overclocking in Metro: Last Light!

Check it out. Latest NVidia drivers and stuff too.

post-18796-14494996335764_thumb.jpg