y510p and ThrottleStop

bonzobv

So I mainly use my computer for emulators (specifically Dolphin), and I managed to get Mario Galaxy running in 1080p at ~60fps, give or take.

My question is this: When I use ThrottleStop 6.00 beta 1 and disable BD PROCHOT while setting the multiplier to 34 for all cores (so as to give the processor a constant 3.4GHz without throttling), I end up getting a max of around 87 degrees C in BurnInTest. Since you guys know this computer much better than I do, would you say it's safe for me to continue doing this? I understand that the Tjunction is 100 for the i7 4700MQ.

Also, I use a cooling pad if that means anything.

No one can guarantee you anything. Without testing 1001 Y510p laptops for a few years, no one in a forum is going to be able to predict the failure rate or what component might fail first. The chance of your CPU failing is very tiny in my opinion but something else on your motherboard or your power adapter could fail due to the extra power consumption and heat that running with BD PROCHOT disabled is going to cause. I think the reason manufacturers do this is to avoid cranky customers phoning them to bitch and complain that their new laptop is too hot. I guess they would rather reduce performance for enthusiasts that are not smart enough to get their 4700HQ to run at the speed and temperature that Intel designed it to run at.

Enjoy your new laptop. By the time it blows up, there will probably be something newer and faster and cheaper available so no worries.