Upgrade or No?

DyinAngel

Well basically GTX 690 are two 680s on 1 chip. But the 670 Sli has almost the same performance as the 690 but it has a disadvantage. it requires two cards, more heat more money... where u can buy one 690 right now maybe buy aother one later to make them SLis.....Will run every game on ultra..

Hope this helps

I was using the 690 until I upgraded to two 780s in SLI. The 690 is a fantastic card and ran everything I play very well (Skyrom, Mafia II, Lost Planet 3, etc etc). It's nice to have SLI at the cost of only one slot.

I halfway regret going to 780s with the strange factory OC issues I have been having.

1st 690 SLI(quad gpus) is actually not recommended by many. Too much horsepower, little vram. Its like having the power of the Sun and lighting a 100w bulb. :P Not the best reference but you get the idea.. ;)

Coming from a good 690@1176/1800 down to a 780@1254/1752 in gaming the difference is a lot more than reviews and benchmarks shows. As I said elsewhere, I love my 780 but purely for gaming the 690 is a lot more powerful.

No doubt the 690 culprit is the vram and the throttling but FC3@4K ultra settings/no AA with my 780 uses 1750mb vram(avg 45-50fps), I can say the 690 has still a lot of life in it. So assuming someone doesn't go over-board with AA its 690>780.

No back to the OP's situation. Imho I would just find another dirt cheap 670, oced if possible both cards to 1250mhz and call it a day. Best bang for buck and I'm inclinded to say performance wise too.

BUT, if you can sell you current 670 and add the price you would had paid for that 2nd 670 and with that total you can find a used 690 for the same or just a bit more($50-$80), then go for it just for the better hardware sli that the 690 provides.

Otherwise SLI 670 beats 780 anyday and also might beat/match a 690 since most don't OC well. So my vote is go for 670 SLI and wait until Maxwell and see what those bring in the table.

P.S: Don't forget AMD's r9-290/x if you don't mind waiting or going Red. They might surprise us and I would definitely recommend them over a 780 and even a 690 if the reviews favor them well. Also 4GB vram seems really sweet too! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find another used 670 for under $200, just SLI. I got 2 Power Editions used for $420 before the 700 series was even out, so it shouldn't be too hard. If not, wait for the 780 price drops coming since the 290X is out.

• 2 weeks later...

I recomend you that never buy a external or internal sli(dual gpu card). I had two gtx 295 and lots of games don´t work fine with sli. Now with GTX570 it´s enought, and I never take a sli again unless anyone sell me another gtx 570 very cheap

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends entirely on personal preferences man :D

SLI advantage:

1) better performance

2) better flexibility - adjust clock speed and memory individually etc

3) cheaper than getting a 690

690 advantage

1) better look

2) better power management

3) better acoustic and temperature

Personally, i would just go for the 670 sli anyday :D

• 2 months later...

GTX 690 is not a "big enough" stop to make it worth the money. For now I'd recommend 780 TI, but only if you don't specifically tune your games with higher resolution textures. The Titan offers more VRAM, allowing higher AA in Ultra HD an beyond. The performance advantage of Titan vs 780 only shows when artificially provoking it, else the 780 TI is faster, especially in FullHD.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...