Lenovo Y510p wireless card

DyinAngel

Welp. I recieved my laptop at long last. The AC version of Intel's 7260 card ain't whitelisted by default. So i downgraded my bios to 2.07, flashed the whitelist mod, and bam. Awesome speeds all around. The other day i got a 27.6MB/s download rate from Steam. On an N router, not even an AC one.

I'm also having issues with the Wifi, it's crazy to think you'd get such crappy performance in a well rounded laptop.

Even if I'm in the same room as the router, sitting in front of it, I get slow internet and it drops all the time.

You should be very careful on choosing a wireless card replacement for Y510P.

Whitelist of the bios will keep you from using card not authorized by Lenovo like a killer 1202.

However, a modded bios will allow you to install whatever card you like to.

I replaced my card with a intel 7260, but i want to reuse the 2230 that came with it. I tried putting it into an old acer i have but the device is unrecognized despite having the drivers installed. Whats even weirder is that the bluetooth functions just fine not the wifi. Anyone know whats going on ??

From a little research online, it seems that the best things you can do are: revert back to windows drivers, disable Bluetooth on the device, disable windows power saving on the device, set proper channels on your router(ones with less interference from neighbors), disable ipv6 connectivity and set roaming on the device to low...But overall, it seems this wireless adapter is a piece of cr@p-as none of these steps worked for me :D.

Is it worth it to hack the bios? I got the laptop without the newer wireless anntenna, SSD, or SLI graphics card. I later got the graphics card but found out it was not compatible with the older models. Should I do a BIOS hack or should I just get a full refund and get another one. I just found out that they took the best version with the 755m and newer anntenna off the site. They are selling the one with the 750m sli with SSD for $1,199 but not with the newer wireless card. Should I just get a full refund and get that one? I'm not sure that they will sell the 755m SLI version again. I would have to return 3 items including the laptop. I'm afraid that the BIOS will stop working or something in the future when my warenty expires. Is there a way to restore back to the original BIOS? I'm hoping that this BIOS mod will work. I'm more concerned about the second graphics card than the wireless anntenna.

My BIOS is modded, but I upgraded the wireless card in my Lenovo Y510p to an Intel 7260 AC. My range has increased quite a bit along with throughput. I'll likely be picking up an AC router in a couple of months when the next revision of the ASUS AC rolls around.

I picked up my Intel 7260 AC wireless card on Amazon. It was pretty cheap, delivered quickly and packaged well.

The Intel 7260 AC wireless card was pretty easy to install in the Lenovo Y510p. One screw holds in the wireless card, and since the 7260 AC is 2x2 you don't need to do any antenna modifications. I don't know if you need a modded BIOS to allow the particular 7260 AC that I got. I did anyways as it provides some additional benefits.

I totally agree. That's the exact wireless card i picked up. I couldn't be happier with it, the price was right and once the whitelist was removed from the bios all the connectivity issues my y510 was having were gone.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I picked up a open box Y410P off of Amazon and it has the 1.07 Bios, I've already ordered the 7260 card and I'll be installing that soon.

One thing I need to ask and haven't seen an answer is can the 1.07 bios be upgraded to the 1.10 through a downloadable file, Lenovo states there isn't one needed on their site.

TIA

I have the y510p with i7- 4700mq, 8GB Ram, 2x GT755m, 1008GB HDD&SSD and i have no Intel wlan card. Mine is: Atheros AR9485WB- EG-

Anyone else who has this card?

It will be a great thing if they decided to change wifi cards, n2230 is just scrap. I've got my lenovo y510p for two weeks and there's no way to play games on wifi it keeps dropping every 10 mins.

I'm wondering if modding bios, but i'm scared of warranty void and brick. Does just anyone knows what cards are on the "lenovo's whitelist"? Maybe this card Atheros AR9485WB- EG used by the model descibed ?

Same here, I have a 7260 card sitting here, installed it and got the "not approved message", my BIOS is 1.07, I wouldn't mind finding one of the cards listed in the maintenance manual but I haven't had any luck finding anyone that has them.

• 2 weeks later...

A college of mine has the 7260 card on his new thinkpad. I'm thinking of putting it in my Y510p. Could someone tell me if there are any issues with the card. I have read that sometimes it stops working on the 5Ghz and only a reset of the card does the trick. Is this true. Thank you in advance for the answers.

• 1 month later...
I have the y510p with i7- 4700mq, 8GB Ram, 2x GT755m, 1008GB HDD&SSD and i have no Intel wlan card. Mine is: Atheros AR9485WB- EG-

Anyone else who has this card?

Does anybody have further information on this issue?

Under which circumstances does Lenovo equippe the Y510P with other WLAN-cards than the 2230? Does this happen by chance or depends it on the series?

shmerlin

Is anyone who recently upgraded to the AC intel cards happy with the upgrade? I'm sick and tired of slow speeds/disconnects with the stock card and am hoping to upgrade.

I've been reading around here and other places. Most people seem completely satisfied with upgrading from their awful 2230 cards. I'm planning to do the same upgrade. My cousin's HP laptop also has a 2230 wifi card, and she always complains about how awful it is... Definitely need to swap it out. The Wireless-AC 7260 seems to get good reviews though. I'd definitely go with that.

I also have this laptop and bought a Broadcom BCM4352 Azurewave AW-CE123H WiF i+ BT 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0. Im also getting the unauthorized wireless card and need to remove the whitelist. Has anyone here been successful with that yet? I have heard about issues with the sleep functionality not working after the BIOS change. Has this been resolved yet? Thanks

I actually just got a y510p the other day and I'm finding that Lenovo is rather annoying with their locked bios. I guess I'll be flashing the modded BIOS to my laptop so I can change out the wireless card to something else. I have the option between wireless cards. I have a Broadcom 4352 wireless ac card and a 7260HMW dual band N600 card I can use. Do you guys know if the 7260 would require a modded bios or not or does it really just depend on the info on the card?