Lenovo Y510p wireless card

DyinAngel

Hello guys, I recently bought a lenovo y510p. Upon having some problems such as loosing internet connection after a few minutes,, i looked it up. Apparently the intel wireless-n 2230 card is not so great on windows eight. Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to fix it? Or anything they can suggest to me?

Well, I attend NYU Poly. The wifi is actually really good. My wifi isn't as great at home. Yet for some reason it has problems connecting to my school's wifi. It constantly connects then stops working. I think the best choice that we have is just replace the card.

My BIOS is modded, but I upgraded the wireless card in my Lenovo Y510p to an Intel 7260 AC. My range has increased quite a bit along with throughput. I'll likely be picking up an AC router in a couple of months when the next revision of the ASUS AC rolls around.

I picked up my Intel 7260 AC wireless card on Amazon. It was pretty cheap, delivered quickly and packaged well.

The Intel 7260 AC wireless card was pretty easy to install in the Lenovo Y510p. One screw holds in the wireless card, and since the 7260 AC is 2x2 you don't need to do any antenna modifications. I don't know if you need a modded BIOS to allow the particular 7260 AC that I got. I did anyways as it provides some additional benefits.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used the bios, vbios and steps from here (from this thread I believe)

I think that you get access to downloads after 10 posts if I'm not mistaken. At first I was miffed, but came to understand. It's a great site and people should contribute, not just leach. This site's actually made me remember how helpful some forums can be :-)

It looks like you have 5 posts now. Not far to go. Read through the forum and make a few helpful comments or questions. Who knows, you might even stick around!

Be careful with the bios modding. Follow the steps carefully. I'd also recommend reading the entire thread (it's short right now) before doing it. I ran into a few hurdles and needed to do some side research to get though it.

Just donated my previous lenovo laptop that I had upgraded to intel ac7260. The updated wireless definitely worked great and had much better range especially with the relatively frequent driver updates and bluetooth 4.0 worked well with the windows 8 drivers. I should have learned my lesson and avoided getting a new computer with a whitelist, but the original built in wireless sucks as usual and i'm back to updating the bios again. I highly recommend upgrading to a newer more capable wifi card after carefully flashing the bios.

Intel 7260 AC it is then! Can't wait to have a decent and steady wifi signal.

It's definitely an improvement. I'm probably going to pick up an AC router tomorrow morning to play around with over the weekend. I'm curious how much better (if at all) it will be. Right now I'm running an older Asus RT-N56U and love it. It was wicked fast for its time and now with AC out I'd like to give that a whirl. Especially since the router's being taxed quite a bit more these days.

I'll likely pick up the RT-A66U. They just came out with a new one a couple of days ago called the RT-A68U. But I doubt they've got that on the shelf yet. I don't know if the range difference is much either.

I don`t have any sticker but I found hardware information in AIDA64 Extreme Edition: Network Adapter Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230! I guess that`s model name? Is there a problem with this wireless card?

Thank you for replies

I don`t have any sticker but I found hardware information in AIDA64 Extreme Edition: Network Adapter Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230! I guess that`s model name? Is there a problem with this wireless card?

Thank you for replies

I am also experiencing the same issue with wifi, sometime works great, sometimes it just looks connected but no internet available. have to disconnect and reconnect. even returned the laptop to amazon thinking it was defective but the new one was also doing it :/

now I need to test that bios whitelist... I have the AC7260 as well, which I took from my thinkpad t61p (which also had the white list issue, had to unlock bios)