SSD drive size

brolyssj

Depends.

If you do the calculation 64Gb should theoretically be enough. However if you are like most users and install a few more programs and have some documents on your disk, you will run out of space pretty soon.

If you have a second conventional disk for other programs and most of your documents and media files, this will work well. But it also means slow access to those files, especially when your disk needs to spin up first, because you haven't accessed it for a while. Having a conventional disk also draws much more power than a ssd, so if you have a notebook you give away (some/all) of your energy savings, maybe you end up with even less mobility (if your hdd does frequent spin ups). Also keep in mind that ssd performance is best with a lot of unused disk space.

I think you can do nothing wrong with 128Gb because the price difference is small and the gain is big (double space/more preformance/simpler setup/investment into the future/reselling).

A note of warning: Some notebooks have special height restrictions, you might want to consither those before buying.

----

just realized your post is in the desktop storage section. My recommendation however remains the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger the better. It's generally useful to have all of your programs (and their data, caches, etc.) on an SSD, as that will not only speed up the programs, but also general searching etc. Also, don't forget that everything that you install and winds up in the Program Files folder will default to that SSD, so it will fill up a bit. Also, SSDs I believe are faster if they have some empty space.

I like to have an SSD that is big enough for the OS and everything that will go on Program files (currently, that's a 128GB with only 16GB free). Then I have a separate SSD for select games (ones that need to load fast because they stream a lot of textures, or have lots of loading areas, or where I die a lot).

• 3 weeks later...

250gb is the sweet spot in terms of space and price. I wouldn't get anything lower than that at this point, especially since it's only an extra $70 additional investment these days.

• 2 weeks later...

64gb goes by quick. After the OS, updates, and office, you don't have much storage. I would certainly advise against it.

128gb drives are not much more expensive than 64gb either msata or sata.

I currently use a 256gb ssd in my laptop along with a 1tb hdd.

Also bear in mind some SSDs are asynchronous and performance will degrade after 50% filled. I'd personally go for a 128gb if not bigger, just for extra breathing room. Good deals can be had for the bigger sizes, so its silly to get small ones these days.

I have a 128GB SSD in my desktop and have W7 Ultimate, Office, CS6, and about 20 other random programs (none huge) on it with just 30GB free. I store all of my media on my 3TB internal, but even a modest music collection cant take up 5-10GB of space.

If you only plan to install what you mentioned in the OP, you can get away with a 64GB, but if you plan to put other things on there, it's better to be safe and go for at least a 128GB.

• 1 month later...

I woud go for the bigger one. Just for a little bit more you re safe fo the next years. Im sure you will want to install more things in the future right??

Go for a safe brand as it will free you for some headaches and data loss...i talk for my experience...

• 5 weeks later...

I got a 256gb when it was about $1 per gb. If I had to do it again I would get a 512gb with the prices dropping like they are. I have a storage server with 6tb of space, but I find myself deleting a lot of games to make room for other stuff to keep everything I use on the fast drive.

As per your question, yeah 64gb IS enough, but with price drops I would go 128gb if you can afford it to be safe.

256GB is definitely the sweet spot. 128GB will do but they tend to fill up fast for me when Steam sales are afoot. Plus, generally, the larger in size the better performance for a drive in that series (for example the speed/IOPS for the 840 increase as the size increases 128<256<512)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 60ish gb one and had to replace it after installing a couple of games and a few programs. As you've seen in the other posts, the OS will take up a bit, and to me it is not good to run 80%+ full on any drive much less a SSD.