A few simple M18x R1

bentouch

Hello!

I have an M18x R1 for 1,5 year now and i need to ask You guys couple of simple questions.

Maybe i will start that i have a terrible throttling problem. (dual GTX 580m SLI)

I can't even play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on like medium/high settings without HWiNFO64 turned on.

I am also using Notepal U3 cooling pad - and Battlefield 3 lasts like 10 min - after that is just struggles to run.

How exactly can i check where is the problem - CPU or GPU? Because i can feel on my hand that CPU gets hot as hell. (left side of AW right?)

What exactly can i do to fix it?

How can i check if my AC adapter is the 330w or 240w?

What's the best thermal paste?

I know it's a lot like for one post but i'm trying for a long time - no success.

My full spec:

i7-2670QM
16GB 1333Mhz
750GB + 120GB 6Gbit SSD
DUAL NVIDIA GTX 580 SLI 4096MB DDR5

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional PL
64 bit

no problem bro we all had this concerns once , first of all ---what is ur normal temperature (no load) and what is it after load ? and HWiNFO64 can tell u the temperature of each of ur GPU'S separately. what fan setup ur using in HWiNFO64 ?? EC support on or off ? and SW MSI on or off ? do u have any freez in HWiNFO64 after u run it for some time ?

second --u can know ur AC is 240w or 330w from bios ,( F12 after booting ) but as far as i know it should be 330w if ur system came originally with the 580m SLI .

third -- the best thermal paste is ic diamond it will give u almost 5 to 6 degrees down comparing to any other past i tried .i can tell u that repasting ur GPU will give u better situation but let me know that is ur temperature first

Sorry for double post but i had to restart my AW.

Still IDLE shots but with SLI ON this time:

CPU is pretty much the same,

COMPAL EC is the same aswel, but i noticed that sometimes it shows -9999 degrees:

post-17679-14494996137492_thumb.jpg

GPU #0 SLI:

post-17679-14494996137642_thumb.jpg

GPU #1 SLI:

post-17679-14494996137807_thumb.jpg

Now for LOAD (gonna run CS:Go again with settings same as above)

(Throttling after around 1min30sec, back to normal after 4 minutes and then throttling again about 1min30sec later)

Normally hitting around 100FPS - should be around 300 actually, and when throttled just 12fps...

post-17679-14494996137934_thumb.jpg

CPU on LOAD:

post-17679-14494996138808_thumb.jpg

COMPAL on LOAD:

post-17679-14494996138696_thumb.jpg

GPU #0 on LOAD:

post-17679-14494996138918_thumb.jpg

GPU #1 on LOAD:

post-17679-14494996139057_thumb.jpg

With SLI on i get around 23fps while throttled (so double as with a single card on)

Can You please explain wht do You mean with EC support, and SW MSI on or off?

And yes, somtimes happen that HWiNFO just gets stuck and i need to reboot my AW to make it work again.

About setting the HWiNFO - I notice that setting manually highest fan speed works the best for me ;D

post-17679-14494996139201_thumb.jpg

So that's how i do it.

About the AC - Couldn't really find it in BIOS :S

And thanks for the Paste - prolly gonna try it out.

ok first ur idle tempreture is ok little high but ok ,,

second thing GPU loaded temp is high 90 is hot it still can handle it but thats will reduce the performance as u said it will start Throttling so it will reduce the core clock to reduce the temp. which for sure reduces the performance .

third thing which is the important thing here , HWiNFO is v nice app it allows u as u already know to control ur fan speeds PUT and before i start to explain things about that u have to raad this link its very detaild about how to use HWiNFO on alineware system

http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-64-discussion/65-alienware-fan-control.htm

but i will explain it here anyways . see HWiNFO let u control ur fan speed as much as u like for setain temp. u will add sertain fan RPM which is nice thing but because alienware restricted playing with this setting so when u try to use custom auto (which is the best option in my opinion ) it some times (maybe all the times ) freez and u have to restart ur computer because u cant even end task it :) basicly alienware sit only three fan profile for ur laptop which is

min : 0 medium 2000 high 3800 so when u try to customize diffract numbers ( and thats when u keep EC support ON ) it will stuck after some times !

so what u need to do is

open HWiNFO and from the (program ) menu select (configure) so new menu will appear choose the second tap (safety) and uncheck EC support and be sure that SW MS1 is checked

and then from fan control choose custom auto and u will be able to add only three numbers ( 0 or 2000 or 3800) check attached image for my fan setup ) post-16680-14494996139678_thumb.jpg

this only 3 speeds will allow HWiNFO to work nicely and with no problem at all

good luck :) try this setup and let me know

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to say u have to clean ur fans very well and re paste the gpu i relive that will also effect well and keep using ur cooler pad it will help

I set it all just like You said, but I'm not home until christmas atm so I am going to repaste it later.

Another question: is there any way to just remove this throttling problem? I mean all this cooling and stuff is just preventing and I want to remove it like completely. I just noticed a thread [URL]http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/268-official-alienware-m18x-owners-lounge.html[/URL] Which has
Attached Files: 580M VBios Kit. This "kit" originally authored by RedLine has the files necessary to flash your nVidia GTX 580M to prevent throttling. In addition, there is an extra folder in there with a variety of 580M vbios settings that one can choose from. 

Is that a way to do what i want?

see i'm not an expert in vbios but see as i told u the gpu start throttling when it heats up to certain point so it keep the card from over heating so maybe this vbios upgrade will remove throttling but still it will heats up and after removing throttling u will have no gpu protection to cool down so as i told u maybe it works but my advice fix heating issue first ( at least 10 degrees less) and them do this vbios upgrade

ok if u r out home so ok just try to clean the fans , i used a ear picks to clean the fan from inside belive me it worked :)

After clearing my vents, my CPU temp went to 35C, and GPU's to around 37C!

Is it possible that it went around 12 degrees down on CPU and 30 degrees lower on GPU's just after cleaning?

Anyway my LOAD performance didn't increase much. Just IDLE temps are better.

After clearing my vents, my CPU temp went to 35C, and GPU's to around 37C!

Is it possible that it went around 12 degrees down on CPU and 30 degrees lower on GPU's just after cleaning?

Anyway my LOAD performance didn't increase much. Just IDLE temps are better.

this temps are great thats the perfect results u will get with ur card but about ur game performance i'm not sure why that happened ?! what is ur temperature when the gpu is loaded ? is it still throttling ? and on which temp. it start to throttle ?

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to say did u update ur driver to the new 327.23 ? if not so do that i got 5 degrees drop when the gpu is fully loaded maybe it helps

Yes i did update my drivers.

And As I thought 4gigs of graphics and stuff I have can handle at least CS:GO on maxed settings - but it works terrible.

Anyway - I have to re-download Battlefield 3 and then i'll tell You how my GPU works.

Is there any way to change the fan control for cards so we won't have to use HWiNFO? Why is it done so bad that these fans are just not enough.

Well just played the whole round in Battlefield 3 (around 20 min) on default settings - which are not high, without HWiNFO and noticed no throttling.

So Tha'ts pretty good.

Now I'll try using HWiNFO, and GeForce Experience optimized settings which are high/ultra and check if throttling appears..

Well it's been couple of days now, and I'm even playing Battlefield 4 Closed beta on ULTRA SETTING - with HWiNFO NO THROTTLING AT ALL!

Need to say i'm really happy with that!

BF4 on ULTRA (all maxed) gives me only around 30-35 FPS? Hard to say actually. But it doesn't freeze or anything like that. Works just fiiine!

One more question - is single gtx 780m stronger than dual SLI gtx 580m's?

Well it's been couple of days now, and I'm even playing Battlefield 4 Closed beta on ULTRA SETTING - with HWiNFO NO THROTTLING AT ALL!

Need to say i'm really happy with that!

BF4 on ULTRA (all maxed) gives me only around 30-35 FPS? Hard to say actually. But it doesn't freeze or anything like that. Works just fiiine!

One more question - is single gtx 780m stronger than dual SLI gtx 580m's?

great news bro so enjoy gaming ;) as far as i know they r exactly the same

this website is great check this link

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1518&gid2=1242&compare=geforce-gtx-580m-sli-vs-geforce-gtx-780m