Alienware m17xr3 Upgrade help

axderka

I have a 460m in my alienware right now, and it's not getting the job done. What all do I need in order to upgrade it to a 7970m? Do I need a new power supply? (Not a/c adapter). How would I go about getting something like that? I just need help overall... :adore:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

1.you need to flash an unlock bios and disable Intel Hd 3000 card (integrated graphic card),

2.buy a AMD heatsink 6990m heatsink is compatible with 7970m and 580m heatsink is compatible with 680m. you need new thermal pads too.

3. you don't need new porwer addapter, the 230w is perfect for any single card configuration. i hope you have that one, because my first r3 with gtx 460 came with 230w adapter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

heh, hate to necropost but for anyone alse that might come across this post looking for the same info

On 2/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, Milocinia said:

How would I be able to see if I had a 3d monitor or not? I just got a m17xr3 with no gpu for free and trying to pick out a gpu.

look for your service tag and run it through dell support by tag, click on the config tag and then original config, its pretty much all sorted out by what it is, unless you want to take apart the machine, not much of a hassle really, 2 screws for the bottom lid and 5 for the KB trim and see what connection the screens using, closest to the optical drive shall be 3d, least one my r4 it was, pretty sure that the r3 is the same

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2013 at 4:04 AM, axderka said:

I have a 460m in my alienware right now, and it's not getting the job done. What all do I need in order to upgrade it to a 7970m? Do I need a new power supply? (Not a/c adapter). How would I go about getting something like that? I just need help overall... :adore:

i dont think that u need to upgrade your PSU for upgrading to HD7970M..it would work fine even the heatsink might too because they look similar...but might be different from the fitting