y510p ram upgrade and bios mod

tokamak

y510p ram upgrade question here. I purchased 2x8Gig Kingston Hyper-X ddr3 1.5v 1600 modules but the system rejects it, I get blue screen of death... I heard that with haswell I can only use 1.35v ram modules or with bios mod is it possible to adjust ram voltage?

ok. if i replace one bar with 8 GB will it work well? or better install 2 same bars? (8+8 gb)

If you don't really need more than 8 gb I would suggest to go with 2x4GB better/faster RAM instead, higher speed and lower CL.

If you don't really need more than 8 gb I would suggest to go with 2x4GB better/faster RAM instead, higher speed and lower CL.

Honeslty I agree with him, unless you have some specific reasons for 16 gb of ram, 8gb is the way to go.

Why is it that, from the day I got my y510p, it seems that at least 2GB of RAM are ALWAYS taken up? Is that just how things work these days (sorry, this is my first computer in about four years and the other got struck by lightning...twice. I'm a bit out of the loop)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...