Current build parts list - suggestions?

This is my current parts list for my winder 2013 build. I feel like I can trim down a bit.

Note, I have a GTX 660Ti (as my eGPU) that I will be adding to this to be used for PhysX and to drive all of my monitors (6 total). I actually use RAM, I have maxed out my current 16GB multiple times, so I figure I'll go with 32GB for my build.

I'm rather content with the case so I'd rather not change it. I will probably add more drives in the future, not exactly sure on their power usage. But I figure with a 4770k, GTX 770, GTX 660Ti, and a few HDDs a 1kW PSU is probably a little overkill? What wattage would you recommend / PSU? I would prefer a modular PSU for cable management.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.96 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($127.50 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($127.50 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($143.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($434.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT H630 ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1708.89

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-14 17:56 EDT-0400)

Thanks for your help,

atn

Looks like a pretty decent system as far as I can tell.

If you are planning on adding more HDDs in a RAID, you might want to consider a different HDD. The WD Black series (as well as the Blue and Green series) lack the TLER feature.

As for HDD power consumption, 5 Watts when busy is an often used figure for 5400/7200 rpm drives and usually worked for me. However you should expect a 10 Watts peak when the drives are spinning up.

I had to learn that the hard way. I had 11 drives and usually zero or one sometimes two "random" drives failing to start on boot. This usually is not a disaster as the data is still on the drive and available after rebooting. If however this is a drive of a RAID array, the array becomes degraded and on the next reboot the "failed" drive has to be re-synced from scratch. If you reboot too early, you might lose the array. Once I had figured the cause, the fix was easy - a new, more powerful PSU.

If I don't plan to raid the WD Black is fine then? I prefer just to have my drives JBOD. I don't have the luxury of having a few parity drives. The cost just gets too expensive - I'd rather not spend ~1k on drives.

Is the stock CPU cooler adequate? I don't plan to OC the CPU (never found a reason to). Or should I look toward an aftermarket one?

I'm a newb when it comes to building high-end desktops.

Like mentioned above 1k psu is a little bit overkill you would be fine with a 750/850 psu . From a good quality.

do you need 32GB of ram ? Or Els 16?wil be far more then enough . Other the that it is a help of a system !

Alrighty, I'll look for a lower wattage psu, seems to be the common consensus.

I have maxed out my 16GB of ram on multiple occasions, although I should probably have 24gb in the next build, I'd rather have 2 pairs instead. So 32gb.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I suggest a bigger SSD, you wont be happy with just 128GB

That's exactly what I was thinking, 128GB SSD will run out of space quickly. After installing a few games you will be more than half full, usually slowing the SSD. Also, have you considered an ATI video card? With Mantle on the horizon, it might be worth looking into.