About GTX 680m With Alienware M15x Help!

TricksterMatt

Hello guys, I've been directed to this forum from notebook review forum as the alienware section of NBR is looking quite dead at the moment. I am upgrading my M15x at the moment and so far have gotten a new HDD and RAM. I'm about to get an i7 920xm and a gtx 680m to replace my i7 740qm and gtx 460m. Just a few questions:

1. Does it throttle at all like the 7970m?

2. What size thermal pads do i use on the gtx 680m and where (what size goes on the vram and what size goes on the rest)

3. What size thermal pads do i use on the 920xm?

3. Does this 680m come with the x-backplate required to fit in my m15x? New Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M 2GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for Alienware M18X M17X M15X | eBay

4. Is it absolutely required to use the vbios from slv7? If so which one do you recommend as there are 2 different ones for the 680m

5. If I run the 680m and i7 920xm stock will it throttle at all?

6. Finally which psu is recommended, I heard the delta 210W PSU fixes throttling.

Thanks guys!

Clearly you've read the 210w psu throttling fix thread so how can you say NBR section is dead!

If you can afford the GTX 680M, its definitely a better option than 7970M.

Overclocks higher and runs games smoother.

1.0mm or 1.5mm 5w/mk or 7w/mk phobya thermal pads both work fine on the gpu, not sure which is better.

X-bracket from 460M should fit but you might need to remove the c-clip screws and for some normal screws.

Definitely use svl7's modded bios as it has voltage tweaks which allow you to get 3d clocks.

No throttling if you get 210w psu :)

Clearly you've read the 210w psu throttling fix thread so how can you say NBR section is dead!

If you can afford the GTX 680M, its definitely a better option than 7970M.

Overclocks higher and runs games smoother.

1.0mm or 1.5mm 5w/mk or 7w/mk phobya thermal pads both work fine on the gpu, not sure which is better.

X-bracket from 460M should fit but you might need to remove the c-clip screws and for some normal screws.

Definitely use svl7's modded bios as it has voltage tweaks which allow you to get 3d clocks.

How do I remote the c clip screws? And what screws do you mean. Is it the normal ones I mount hdds and stuff with. And did you get your delta PSU in the end to activate 3d clocks 24/7 without toggling stealth and that? Can't wait :D gonna be sweet!

I call bullshit on this, that's pure placebo. All my benches have been done with a 240W PSU and I still beat all the 210W users...

How do I remote the c clip screws? And what screws do you mean. Is it the normal ones I mount hdds and stuff with. And did you get your delta PSU in the end to activate 3d clocks 24/7 without toggling stealth and that? Can't wait :D gonna be sweet!

You don't need to remove the clips, just make sure that the mounting threads of the backplate are not too long, if they are grind them down a bit, this will increase the pressure on the die resulting in way better temps.

My vbios mod is required if you want full 3d clocks, the stock vbios will throttle in the M15x by default and never reach the stock 3d clocks.

The thermal pads on your current card will do fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I call bullshit on this, that's pure placebo. All my benches have been done with a 240W PSU and I still beat all the 210W users...

You don't need to remove the clips, just make sure that the mounting threads of the backplate are not too long, if they are grind them down a bit, this will increase the pressure on the die resulting in way better temps.

My vbios mod is required if you want full 3d clocks, the stock vbios will throttle in the M15x by default and never reach the stock 3d clocks.

The thermal pads on your current card will do fine.

Ahh cool thanks slv7! I think I'll replace the pads as I haven't replaced them since I got this system back in 2010. Should I use 1.5mm pads on both the CPU/GPU? And should I just get the 240W PSU from dell then and forget about the 210W delta one?

Yeh but you didn't share how you did it so we had to find other methods. I haven't benched it but I can run FC3 with x23 multiplier with no throttling so I'm happy. Don't care about getting highest benchmarks. High gpu overclocking leads to higher temps, instability and shutdown when gaming so why bother?

• 10 months later...

hi guys, newb here migrated from notebook review as well lol. Got an m15x of ebay and am upgrading it slowly,my latest is a gtx 680m, so in order to get this magical bios, how do i get it? Im more than happy to donate towards it, do i need to make another 4 posts before i can request this? If so no dramas i got loads of questions lol

So far there is a wealth of knowlage on these forums fair play, any how its good to meet you boys and girls, any help would be welcome.

Right card arived,installed using modded inf,but the clocks are at 627 core and 900 memory.I take it the modded bios will sort this?Been speeking to sv17, having issues with booting from dos it says nvflash cant run in dos?

Is it safe to run the card throttled till its sorted?

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2013 at 8:17 AM, fatboyslimerr said:

Its old, I know... But I have throttling with 920xm and GTX 980m. Can someone post a link for that magic 210W psu? Or is it just in my dreams, the throttle goes away :D

Edited by MZWiZard