Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

You have to downgrade your bios 3.08 to version 2.07 - Step 3 from manual.

When I make a back up of my bios and go to put it in the BIOS fixer it tells me I need to have a copy of v3.05. Is there a way to downgrade to 3.05?

• 2 weeks later...

I did have a few hiccups during the process such as:

1. No display output during boot. I had originally tried fixing this by creating a connection between the JCMOS2 contacts underneath the RAM on the mobo (couldn't remember blind key strokes to reset BIOS). Unfortunately that sent the system into a constant 5-10 restart. The laptop would fire up, fans would spin, then lose all power right away. Simple fix, I hadn't put the RAM back in. After inserting the RAM, the system booted but still did not display video (maybe JCMOS2 does not reset modified BIOS? I did not investigate this further.)

I was then easily able to fix the display by following the keystrokes here in the first step. Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery

2. "Unauthorized slave VGA device" error during boot. This one had me worried, as searching google only came back with results such as Overheated GPU and broken GPU in general. After I realized I had removed/reinserted the Ultrabay GPU multiple times during my troubles with setting proper video settings in Linux (dual booting with Windows 8.1), I noticed the Ultrabay hadn't been inserted all the way judging by the unlocking mechanism on the bottom of the Y510P (it was not all the way down). After correctly inserting the Ultrabay did this problem disappear.

I only came here looking for a way to manually turn on my Integrated graphics with both GT 750M's in so I can have access to both Nvidia GPU's while using Pyrit in Kali Linux. Unfortunately Debian 8 does not currently support legit Intel drivers for the 4600HD, so I can not use both Nvidias yet in Linux. I do now have all 3 GPU's active and configured in Windows 8.1 though thanks to your modified BIOS.

I really appreciate your work with the BIOS and may stick around judging by the active Y510P community here. Thank you much!

Oh yeah, and I sent you some beer funds!

• Thumbs Up 1

Dear svl7,

I've got a Y510P with the GT 755M SLI graphics solution and Intel i7 4700mq. When I play games like Battlefield 4 or GTA V my temperatures of both GPU's are getting above 90°C and finally the game or the whole pc crashes. On a thread on the lenovo forums I found a link: NvidiaInspectorForY510p. There are some files in this .rar archive to undervolt, undervolt & underclock and so on. The undervolt & underclock file works fine for me and I get no crashes anymore. But yesterday I experienced that when I run GTA V using this file the GPU's just run at 954 Mhz instead of 1097 Mhz. Because of that I get 20 fps less than without using this file. I have both my BIOS and my VBIOS flashed with your files. Now my question is whether I can undervolt the GPU's using the modded BIOS or something. I would be glad to use my Laptop without crashes but without performance loss too. I hope you can help me and thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Bobbey

Hey guys,

I've got a Y510P with the SLI graphics solution. When I play games like Battlefield 4 or GTA V my temperatures of both GPU's are getting above the 90°C and finally the game or the whole pc crashes. On a thread on the lenovo forums I found a link: NvidiaInspectorForY510p. There are some files in it to undervolt, undervolt & underclock and so on. The undervolt & underclock file works fine for me and I get no crashes anymore. But yesterday I experienced that when I run GTA V using this file the GPU's just run at 954 Mhz instead of 1097 Mhz. Because of that I get 20 fps less than without using this file. I have both my BIOS and my VBIOS flashed with the mod files. Now my question is whether I can undervolt the GPU's using the modded BIOS or something like Nvidia Inspector and how I should do that without performance loss. I hope you can help me and thank you in advance.

:)

Hey guys,

I've got a Y510P with the SLI graphics solution. When I play games like Battlefield 4 or GTA V my temperatures of both GPU's are getting above the 90°C and finally the game or the whole pc crashes. On a thread on the lenovo forums I found a link: NvidiaInspectorForY510p. There are some files in it to undervolt, undervolt and underclock and so on. The undervolt & underclock file works fine for me and I get no crashes anymore. But yesterday I experienced that when I run GTA V using this file it the GPU's just run at 954 Mhz instead of 1097 Mhz. Because of that I get 20 fps less than without using this file. I have both my BIOS and my VBIOS with your files. Now my question is whether I can undervolt the GPU's using the modded BIOS or something like Nvidia Inspector and how I should do that. I hope you can help me and thank you in advance.

:)

Post a picture of NVInspector (2nd Page) for both the GPUs. Have you flashed the modded BIOS? The ultrabay GPU separately?

Hi all, new to the forum and my first post too so please forgive me if I make mistakes. My last PC had a standard BIOS, my new laptop has UEFI so I'm way behind the curve and trying to catch up.

I understand v3.08 addresses security issues but that's about it, still I would like to install a modded/unlocked version of it

Is there a modified/unlocked version for UEFI 3.08?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

I've flashed both Vbios and Bios and here are the screenshots:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14862[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14863[/ATTACH]

that's it :D

thanks for your help so far:)

Ok both your GPUs have been flashed to custom vbios. Try to undervolt in increments ( start from -100mv) and go upwards, dont change any other setting yet. If your GPU underclocks, manually overclock. Overclock the Memory and downclock the Core thats how Kepler architecture likes it. Use MSI Afterburner to check the clocks and temps your GPUs are running at. BTW hows GTA V running on your system? Report back the temps

Ok both your GPUs have been flashed to custom vbios. Try to undervolt in increments ( start from -100mv) and go upwards, dont change any other setting yet. If your GPU underclocks, manually overclock. Overclock the Memory and downclock the Core thats how Kepler architecture likes it. Use MSI Afterburner to check the clocks and temps your GPUs are running at. BTW hows GTA V running on your system? Report back the temps

Okay, as you said I just undervolted my both GPUs by -100mv. I got no crashes with -100mv (I undervolted them before by -112,5 or something and I got crashes so I preferred to ask for help), I didn't check other voltages yet. My GPU didn't underclock so I didn't have to overclock manually. And I didn't change anything like memory clock and core clock because I wasn't sure which values would be the right ones. The highest temperature was 90°C at the ultrabay gpu and all in all they were around 85°C.

post-32437-14495000045246_thumb.jpg

Sorry for that much pictures :D I thought it would be helpful.

GTA V is running fine :)

post-32437-14495000038864_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000039737_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000040662_thumb.jpg

post-32437-1449500004154_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000042354_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000043359_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000044258_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Xepherix Check my post here and below it as well. If you could find a way to run the igpu while ultrabay is inserted, that'll be some discovery.

With the SLI setup, I set the Internal Graphics Device from "Auto" to "Enabled". Windows 8.1 took longer than usual to boot, and eventually my login screen appeared.

In Windows 8.1: Checking Device Manager showed both of my 750's and a generic "integrated graphics." I downloaded the Intel 4600HD drivers from Intel's site and viola, I had all 3 GPU's at my disposal. I ran ArmA 3 just out of curiosity and noticed terrible frames and beyond sluggish performance. I viewed my Nvidia Configuration and noticed SLI was not enabled. I tried enabling it, but the config would revert immediately back to disabled. I did no further investigation due to lack of free time.

In Debian 8 (Kali Linux 1.1.0a): Debian would not run gdm3 (the display manager, GUI) or the CLI at all. Well I shoudn't say it didn't RUN it, it just didn't display anything. I believe it was the xorg.conf (I installed Debian prior to knowing of Optimus, learned how to use one Nvidia gpu for Pyrit in the link below), it was not configured to display with the integrated graphics. I reinstalled Debian 8 with the integrated graphics enabled, the Intel Display Controller was now recognized by Debian. The OS loaded some sort of generic driver for it (I believe it was pipeline). Both 750s were recognized also, but not being utilized to my knowledge. Intel currently does not have support for the 4600HD in Debian, so I could not install any official drivers for the integrated graphics. Everytime I tried installing Nvidia drivers from there, **** hit the fan. I do not know how to set up the config files to utilize all 3 GPU's, but the point is Debian does recognize them. When I get some free time (I'm in the Army so I don't get much) I will be researching more into Bumblebee and hopefully will learn how to configure my GPU's.

Here is the link I followed previously if anyone has any interest in utilizing their Nvidia GPU with Pyrit in Kali Linux. Great guide.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?21956-%28Guide%29-Installing-Nvidia-Bumblebee-CUDA-for-Optimus-enabled-Laptops

- - - Updated - - -

Fuzzilla, to my knowledge that is a no. You can backup your BIOS (I assume it's v3.08) and send the file to svl7, I'm sure he can tweak it. I was originally on v3.08 but downgraded to modified 3.05, I shoud have kept my backup of 3.08 to send myself but I didnt :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, as you said I just undervolted my both GPUs by -100mv. I got no crashes with -100mv (I undervolted them before by -112,5 or something and I got crashes so I preferred to ask for help), I didn't check other voltages yet. My GPU didn't underclock so I didn't have to overclock manually. And I didn't change anything like memory clock and core clock because I wasn't sure which values would be the right ones. The highest temperature was 90°C at the ultrabay gpu and all in all they the were around 85°C.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14896[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14900[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14901[/ATTACH]

Sorry for that much pictures :D I thought it would be helpful.

GTA V is running fine :)

I think you're running at very low settings. And why is MSI Afterburner reporting only 1 CPU? Check the game with HWinfo running in the background. Secondly turn the gfx to ultra or high and report the FPS. If you prefer to run the game at 60fps I suggest you lock the fps to 59 or 60 since exceeding those will make GPUs work harder (higher temps) and there is no use. Have you checked other games?

With the SLI setup, I set the Internal Graphics Device from "Auto" to "Enabled". Windows 8.1 took longer than usual to boot, and eventually my login screen appeared.

In Windows 8.1: Checking Device Manager showed both of my 750's and a generic "integrated graphics." I downloaded the Intel 4600HD drivers from Intel's site and viola, I had all 3 GPU's at my disposal. I ran ArmA 3 just out of curiosity and noticed terrible frames and beyond sluggish performance. I viewed my Nvidia Configuration and noticed SLI was not enabled. I tried enabling it, but the config would revert immediately back to disabled. I did no further investigation due to lack of free time.

In Debian 8 (Kali Linux 1.1.0a): Debian would not run gdm3 (the display manager, GUI) or the CLI at all. Well I shoudn't say it didn't RUN it, it just didn't display anything. I believe it was the xorg.conf (I installed Debian prior to knowing of Optimus, learned how to use one Nvidia gpu for Pyrit in the link below), it was not configured to display with the integrated graphics. I reinstalled Debian 8 with the integrated graphics enabled, the Intel Display Controller was now recognized by Debian. The OS loaded some sort of generic driver for it (I believe it was pipeline). Both 750s were recognized also, but not being utilized to my knowledge. Intel currently does not have support for the 4600HD in Debian, so I could not install any official drivers for the integrated graphics. Everytime I tried installing Nvidia drivers from there, **** hit the fan. I do not know how to set up the config files to utilize all 3 GPU's, but the point is Debian does recognize them. When I get some free time (I'm in the Army so I don't get much) I will be researching more into Bumblebee and hopefully will learn how to configure my GPU's.

Here is the link I followed previously if anyone has any interest in utilizing their Nvidia GPU with Pyrit in Kali Linux. Great guide.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?21956-%28Guide%29-Installing-Nvidia-Bumblebee-CUDA-for-Optimus-enabled-Laptops

- - - Updated - - -

Fuzzilla, to my knowledge that is a no. You can backup your BIOS (I assume it's v3.08) and send the file to svl7, I'm sure he can tweak it. I was originally on v3.08 but downgraded to modified 3.05, I shoud have kept my backup of 3.08 to send myself but I didnt :(

With SLI the IGD is set to disabled not Auto, did you change any other setting besides enabling IGD? What if we were to change the Primary Display to IGFX (battery savings w/ ultrabay plugged in)?

I think you're running at very low settings. And why is MSI Afterburner reporting only 1 CPU? Check the game with HWinfo running in the background. Secondly turn the gfx to ultra or high and report the FPS. If you prefer to run the game at 60fps I suggest you lock the fps to 59 or 60 since exceeding those will make GPUs work harder (higher temps) and there is no use. Have you checked other games?

I turned on all the CPU core temperatures in the on screen display and some information about the memory clock too. In GTA 5 I also turned on vsync. In BO2 i didn't because I need the high framerates for a smooth gameplay.

I had the settings on high/normal, that's right. I've tested Black Ops 2 and GTA 5 at highest graphic settings now. Black Ops 2 everything maxed out and GTA 5 too, MSAA x8, textures at very high and so on, but it said that my graphics is overfilled.

post-32437-14495000049877_thumb.jpg

I've got crashes in both games after something like 10 minutes. Here's the error message of BO2 and two screenshots, i had a freeze and needed to press ctrl+alt+del to get to the desktop:

post-32437-14495000052136_thumb.jpg

With GTA 5 I've just got the normal windows error: GTA 5 doesn't work anymore...

What i have to say is that I think these crashes aren't due to overheating which you can see in the pics below, could it be a result of modding the Vbios? Because i've got this kind of crashes since i modded it.

post-32437-14495000048004_thumb.jpg

Sometimes I think NvidiaInspector sets the wrong P-state:

post-32437-14495000049078_thumb.png

I don't know whether it needs to be locked but in the file I used before there was a command to lock it.

Thank you, I hope someone can help me :)

post-32437-14495000048732_thumb.png

post-32437-14495000049569_thumb.png

post-32437-14495000051246_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000053012_thumb.jpg

post-32437-14495000054023_thumb.jpg

Fix your attachments. Secondly the crashes you get in certain games is due to the undervolt. Lower (-87mv) your undervolt in games that crash. I'd also suggest you update NVI. The P-state is set according to load. If you ALTab inbetween a game the P-state might change which is what your case seems to be. Lastly what is your avg Temperature of both GPUs, CPUs, and FPS in GTA V on ultra? Also mention your ambient temperature.

Fix your attachments. Secondly the crashes you get in certain games is due to the undervolt. Lower (-87mv) your undervolt in games that crash. I'd also suggest you update NVI. The P-state is set according to load. If you ALTab inbetween a game the P-state might change which is what your case seems to be. Lastly what is your avg Temperature of both GPUs, CPUs, and FPS in GTA V on ultra? Also mention your ambient temperature.

Sorry for the bad attachments, I fixed them. What I wanna say is that I get these crashes as well when I reboot my pc and run the "undervolt&underclock"-file, which ever prevented my games from crashing. That means the games crash even if I didn't undervolt manually or doesn't a reboot reset the settings?. I will try the -87mv voltage soon and I updated NVI. Does that what you said mean that I shouldn't switch between task using alt+tab? Where can I see the average temperatures and fps? My ambient temperature i constant at 20°C. And thanks for your help :)

Sorry for the bad attachments, I fixed them. What I wanna say is that I get these crashes as well when I reboot my pc and run the "undervolt&underclock"-file, which ever prevented my games from crashing. That means the games crash even if I didn't undervolt manually or doesn't a reboot reset the settings?. I will try the -87mv voltage soon and I updated NVI. Does that what you said mean that I shouldn't switch between task using alt+tab? Where can I see the average temperatures and fps? My ambient temperature i constant at 20°C. And thanks for your help :)

I'm sorry I dont understand German so the picture cant help. If you still get crashes, I suggest you use DDU nvidia uninstaller and then install latest driver afresh. After that try the games that crash without using ANY utility or program. Keep an eye on your temperatures though. If it still crashes undervolt both the GPUs in increments and lower the undervolt everytime it crashes till you find a stable undervolt. If you let Hwinfo run in the background along with MSI Afterburner, it will average all temperatures and FPS in the rightmost column.

Hi Bobbey.

Sorry, i am bad at speak english.

My question is how did Undervolt in the Ultrabay video card?

I do not want to reduce the NvidiaInspector.

My spec: y510p (default bios 3.5, 755m sli)

Goto google.translate.com in your native language. Type your query in your native language and translate it into English. Copy n paste that here.

I'm sorry I dont understand German so the picture cant help. If you still get crashes, I suggest you use DDU nvidia uninstaller and then install latest driver afresh. After that try the games that crash without using ANY utility or program. Keep an eye on your temperatures though. If it still crashes undervolt both the GPUs in increments and lower the undervolt everytime it crashes till you find a stable undervolt. If you let Hwinfo run in the background along with MSI Afterburner, it will average all temperatures and FPS in the rightmost column.

In my opinion at a value of -87.5mv it runs stable but I think it overheats. If I lower the undervolt it will surely overheat. I think it's difficult to find a value with that I get no performance loss and no overheating too. I don't know what to do now :( the average temperatures and the FPS are depending on the graphics settings and the undervolt I apply.

In my opinion at a value of -87.5mv it runs stable but I think it overheats. If I lower the undervolt it will surely overheat. I think it's difficult to find a value with that I get no performance loss and no overheating too. I don't know what to do now :( the average temperatures and the FPS are depending on the graphics settings and the undervolt I apply.

Download GPU-Z and rightclick on its menu to open ASIC Quality. Report that of both gpus. Secondly, I suggest you buy a good cooling pad. I'm too looking for one, but confused whether to buy one with a big 200mm fan or with 60mm fans directed at the intake vents? What do you suggest?