Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

OK so I end up with this:

qsMs0pH.jpg

I test a game for about 30 minutes (up to the red line) and this is the best I can get but only with the ultrabay GPU downvolted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12158[/ATTACH]

Can this make any damage to the GPU?, also the only way I find to apply those settings on boot is by creating a shortcut and execute it at boot.

CYGNUX, maybe you should try this mod. Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud yo... - Lenovo Community This is what I do, and like I've been saying for a while, you have absolutely insane temperatures. Undervolting my Ultrabay GPU by -100mV while still keeping the same clocks, after an hour and a half of gaming under a cooling pad, my first gpu never went past 60*C, and my Ultrabay GPU never went past 68*C. I know that this is no cooling pad vs cooling pad, but a cooling pad won't make a 30+*C difference in temperatures. Take the cooling pad off since it restricts a lot of airflow, and then try gaming again.

In short term it will not damage in long term it may.

Do you use cooling pad? - It may reduce temperature by 5 to 7 celsius degrees.

My recommendation:

Cooler Master NotePal U3 PLUS - Laptop Cooling Pad with Three Configurable High Performance Fans - Black - Newegg.com

or

ZALMAN Notebook Cooler ZM-NC2000 Black - Newegg.com

Did you use premium (non metal) thermal compound for repaste?

Example:

GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound - Newegg.com

difference:

Results: CPU Air Cooler; Low Mounting Pressure - Thermal Paste Comparison, Part Two: 39 Products Get Tested

Note that thermal compound application method may result in different temperatures:

Thermal Paste Application Techniques - Puget Custom Computers

Thanks for the links, I'll try to get a cooling pad, for the compound I use a cheap one but was my only option and that one you recommend it's just toooooo expensive :(.

CYGNUX, maybe you should try this mod. Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud yo... - Lenovo Community This is what I do, and like I've been saying for a while, you have absolutely insane temperatures. Undervolting my Ultrabay GPU by -100mV while still keeping the same clocks, after an hour and a half of gaming under a cooling pad, my first gpu never went past 60*C, and my Ultrabay GPU never went past 68*C. I know that this is no cooling pad vs cooling pad, but a cooling pad won't make a 30+*C difference in temperatures. Take the cooling pad off since it restricts a lot of airflow, and then try gaming again.

Interesting... I'm not so sure, cut the plastic is forever but 10*C less sounds good, in my case I don't think it will make so much difference as I don't have a cooling pad yet.

Thanks for the links, I'll try to get a cooling pad, for the compound I use a cheap one but was my only option and that one you recommend it's just toooooo expensive :(.

GC Extreme 3,5g should be enough to repaste 10-12 processors.

other example Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 $4.99 for 2,7g

Arctic Silver CMQ2-2.7G Céramique 2 Tri-Linear Ceramic Thermal Compound - OEM - Newegg.com

So get a bit cheaper one look at few reputable compound tests. Just don't pick compound from the bottom of the charts.

GC Extreme 3,5g should be enough to repaste 10-12 processors.

other example Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 $4.99 for 2,7g

Arctic Silver CMQ2-2.7G Céramique 2 Tri-Linear Ceramic Thermal Compound - OEM - Newegg.com

So get a bit cheaper one look at few reputable compound tests. Just don't pick compound from the bottom of the charts.

How do you see this one?

Amazon.com: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams: Computers & Accessories

Also I can't decide between those two cooling pads, which one do to recommend?

Amazon.com: Targus Lap Chill Mat for Laptop, Black/Gray (AWE55US): Electronics

Amazon.com: Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NBC-XSLI-GP): Computers & Accessories

Looks like I messed up. I was trying to undervolt my system using the new 3.05 bios and now my system won't even turn on, no Lenovo logo, one key recovery button, nothing. I even did the bios reset thing by removing the battery and holding down the power button for 20 seconds. Any ideas on what I can do at this point?

Looks like I messed up. I was trying to undervolt my system using the new 3.05 bios and now my system won't even turn on, no Lenovo logo, one key recovery button, nothing. I even did the bios reset thing by removing the battery and holding down the power button for 20 seconds. Any ideas on what I can do at this point?
'

You tried to undervolt the GPUs and now your computer won't turn on? o.O

I remember @allstone saying something along the lines of you can reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for almost half an hour before you put it back in. I wouldn't try it until he comes to this thread and confirms that though, I don't want to screw things up even more trying to remember something someone said.

EDIT: Found his post..

It should be packed bios CMOS battery. Is it movable at all? No damage by moving it except if it somehow non-movable. It must be packed in plastic as a lot of those batteries are. Note if you remove the battery, you must remove it for 20-30 minutes at least to reset BIOS.

I remember @allstone saying something along the lines of you can reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for almost half an hour before you put it back in. I wouldn't try it until he comes to this thread and confirms that though, I don't want to screw things up even more trying to remember something someone said.

I tried to get to the cmos battery but I couldn't get it open enough to get to it. It is sandwiched between the palm rest and the mobo.

I tried to get to the cmos battery but I couldn't get it open enough to get to it. It is sandwiched between the palm rest and the mobo.

Hm...Is there a way you can force the BIOS to update through USB maybe? Like creating some type of DOS boot up without being able to switch to Legacy in the boot options? Maybe you can take out the hard drive and have a bootable flash drive with some type of BIOS installation on the flash drive and maybe it would boot into that? I'm not sure, I'm really at a loss at this point. @octiceps, @ghoul, @unclewebb, get your butts in here.

You have to remove the keyboard bezel to get to the CMOS battery. Shouldn't be difficult if you've ever disassembled the laptop to repaste as it's only about halfway there in the sequence of steps.

ZK6GL2A.jpg

The battery is on the underside of the mobo. See here:

d2wGeBQ.jpg

p9GTQMT.jpg

I don't think it will work, as i know, these bioses write back settings to flash.

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

Open bios with tool, check for recovery file name, put it on pendrive, fn+esc, or fn+B start and pray...

Nope, nothing. Used the stock bios from Lenovo, got the recovery name, renamed the stock bios and put it on a USB boot disk. Tried your key combos while booting and nothing.

Nope, nothing. Used the stock bios from Lenovo, got the recovery name, renamed the stock bios and put it on a USB boot disk. Tried your key combos while booting and nothing.

Sorry to hear that. :( Never tried it out, hopefully never have to...

Possible B plan ,if this flash write thing is true, is do desolder bios chip, and externally program a new bios with default settings to it.

I don't think it will work, as i know, these bioses write back settings to flash.

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

Open bios with tool, check for recovery file name, put it on pendrive, fn+esc, or fn+B start and pray...

This one if you are talking to me. I also tried holding down the windows key and B as per the instructions on the page.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I will bring it to a Lenovo certified repair place near my house on Monday and see what they can do for me.

Ask them for the recovery procedure, I'm positive that it is implemented, but they might have changed the key combo or whatever... Usually there's a way to reset the defaults with a simply procedure and even to re-flash the bios.

I think its a hardware error because I get to step 9. and the computer shuts down after a minute, drained the computers power by unplugging the battery and power adapter and holding down the power button for a good long 3 minutes too. nothing so far's worked. I will just have to deal with lenovo to fix it now

- - - Updated - - -

they recently fixed my laptop and replaced parts so who knows if those parts went bad or its another part