Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Does anyone have the model of the bios IC, I changed a setting and now my unit is bricked, the F2 bios menu in the dark trick doesn't work, and the Fn-B with a thumbdrive doesn't work, it doesn't seem to initialize the usb ports or even the keyboard. I am going to unsolder the chip and reprogram it if possible. Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks for the sweet BIOS! BTW I have a y410p with bios 1.10.

Does anyone know what the Advanced>Video Configuration>Special Features does?

post-23019-1449499710088_thumb.jpg

I am wondering if it would be able to shut off the Nvidia card? I dont want to mess with it without asking someone first.

Another option potentially is to change the Primary Display from SG to IGPU? I wonder if that would do anything good or bad?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

If anyone is interested in knowing turning off the graphics switching and setting the primary device to igpu did nothing for the battery life, and other than making the Nvidia card unusable did nothing else either. Also darcinator the way I understand it by reading the forum here, since the Nvidia card is routed through the Intel card it doesn't work if you shut the Intel card and also serves to make the laptop screen not work.

Hi everyone, I was trying to find a way to unlock the BIOS on my Y510P (no wonder it's so barebones) because of the possibility that I might find fan speed controls there. My laptop has the annoying habit of slightly oscillating the fan speed when it's in a low-power-using state. It goes slightly louder for one second, then slightly quieter for one second, then slightly louder for one second, and so on. Other solutions haven't worked; Speedfan has no access to the fans and Lenovo's own fan speed control driver fails to even start up. I was hoping I'd be able to control this in the extended BIOS; does anyone know if this is the case? An unlocked BIOS would be nice regardless but I would also appreciate some advance information before I try something that potentially bricks my machine. :)

I called Lenovo Tech support many times and they could not find out why the Removable Graphics card (Utrabay) couldn't be detected. One person finally said that they had an error on their site and that I had an older version of the Y510p that was advertised as SLI compatible. They said that they can give me a full refund but I already have the extra graphics card and 170w adapter. Would this work for the ultrabay if my Y510p supports it but not detecting it at all? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Bios. If not then it is a hardware incapability. I think many people are having the same problem. Sorry I'm very new with this forum site and bios mods.

I have a Lenovo y510p that came with a 7260hmw bn and I just purchased a 7260hmw ac. will this mod work for this card?

By the way this is my first time on TechInferno. I just want to through a shout-out and say, what's up? Thanks For having me here!

Yes it will work, you won't see any options to set it for AC band only but you without a doubt will get AC speed with that card. I have the same one installed in mine.

So frustrated with all of this - about to go get a replacement 2230 for the meantime. Though I did find this "whitelist" for the Y510p if it's a valid reference I'd sure love to know.

Full list of alternate supprted WLAN cards for Y410p/Y510p:

<code>WLAN - Liteon WB222 2x2ABGN+BT4.0 (Combo) FRU# 20200225

WLAN, WiFi 2x2 ABGN+BT4.0, Liteon WB222 2x2ABGN+BT4.0 HMC

WLAN - Liteon WB225 1x1BGN+BT4.0 (Combo) FRU# 20200224

WLAN, WiFi 1x1 BGN+BT4.0, Liteon WB225 1x1BGN+BT4.0 HMC

WLAN - Liteon HB125 FRU# 20200223

WLAN, WiFi 1x1 BGN, Liteon HB125 1x1BGN HMC

WLAN - Cbt BCM943228HMB(Combo) FRU# 20200221

WLAN, WiFi 2x2 ABGN+BT4.0, Cbt BCM943228HMB 2x2ABGN+BT4.0 HMC

WLAN - Cbt BCM943142HM BGN+BT (Combo) FRU# 20200222

WLAN, WiFi 1x1 BGN+BT4.0, Cbt BCM943142HM 1x1BGN+BT4.0 HMC

WLAN - Cbt BCM94313HMG FRU# 20200102

WLAN, WiFi 1x1 BGN, Cbt BCM94313HMG 1x1BGN HMC

WLAN - Cbt BCM94352HMG (Combo) FRU# 20200381

WLAN, WiFi AC+BT4.0, Ltn BCM4352+20702 2x2AC+BT4.0 HMC

</code>

I currently have BIOS version 2.02 and I see no way to upgrade or downgrade my BIOS since Lenovo doesn't have BIOS updates for the Y510P available anymore. Is there any way I can get rid of the whitelist? I really want to install a different NIC, because this one is horrible.

My bios is V3.05 and I want to mod it so I can change the default onboard GPU to my nvida 750m. Also if I can get the whitelist removed from my bios so if I want to change any hardware later on I can do so with no limitation. Please advice what needs to be done in order to do all this.

So, from what I can gather, for my IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59401512 that came with the Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230, I can upgrade to Intel 7260 b/g/n Wireless (2x2 BGN).

Since this model is already available for the Y510p does that mean it can sneak past the white-list restrictions, or will I have to flash the Bios?

My concern is that my bios are version 3.05, so I will have to flash them back to 2.7 first?

I see at the top of this thread how to flash from 2.7, but I can't seem to find directions for getting it to 2.7 in the first place.

Thanks.