Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Thanks, svl7, for continuing to update this thread even though you don't own this hardware; it's very cool of you! After sitting on the fence between replacing my Y410p or upgrading it, I've finally committed to doing some upgrades and I was very happy to find this tutorial on opening up the stock BIOS restrictions - mostly the whitelist. I'm totally new to BIOS modification but I'm not computer illiterate and I can follow instructions correctly so being able to use the Intel 7260 I just ordered shouldn't be too hard. Aside from that I was just going to swap the HDD for an SSD.

I'm not planning on getting a second GPU; though I'd like to, I can't justify the cost for the amount of time I actually get to spend gaming anymore. What other upgrades would you experts recommend to a novice that this BIOS mod allows me to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, svl7, for continuing to update this thread even though you don't own this hardware; it's very cool of you! After sitting on the fence between replacing my Y410p or upgrading it, I've finally committed to doing some upgrades and I was very happy to find this tutorial on opening up the stock BIOS restrictions - mostly the whitelist. I'm totally new to BIOS modification but I'm not computer illiterate and I can follow instructions correctly so being able to use the Intel 7260 I just ordered shouldn't be too hard. Aside from that I was just going to swap the HDD for an SSD.

I'm not planning on getting a second GPU; though I'd like to, I can't justify the cost for the amount of time I actually get to spend gaming anymore. What other upgrades would you experts recommend to a novice that this BIOS mod allows me to do? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can try undervolting your GPU using nvidia inspector but if you don't game much, it probably won't affect you very much.

Other than that , I wouldn't toy around with Bios settings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a way to increase processor current limit?

I tried changing the pri plane current limit in bios but nothing actually change. My 4700mq still run into current limit throttling.

Did I do something wrong?

Also what XTU option can be unlocked and how?

Can I unlocked the reference clock option? It appear in XTU but greyed out.

I'm on modded bios v3.05

Thx!

So I am currently using the v3.05 vanilla BIOS, and the 80.07.a8.00.0f vBIOS for my GT 755M.

After downloading the v3.05 modified BIOS, I see that I must be currently using v2.07 in order to flash to the modified v3.05. Does anyone have the v2.07 BIOS that I can use?

Also, am I able to flash the vBIOS on the 755M, or is that only applicable for 750M users?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I found the stock v2.07 BIOS in this thread. Im still curious about flashing the vBIOS on my 755M, though! TIA

You can try undervolting your GPU using nvidia inspector but if you don't game much, it probably won't affect you very much.

Other than that , I wouldn't toy around with Bios settings.

Thanks for the response - I figured that might be the case. I will eventually get to put some serious game hours on it when I deploy again but with little kids at home I just have no time to sit down and play. Regarding the undervoling, reading a few dozen pages back in this thread it looks like it's pretty safe to drop it to 1.0v. Is there any reason to not do that? It sounds like a win-win between power consumption and heat.

Only downside of undervolting is less stability, meaning there's a higher chance for crashes while gaming. At 1.0v it should be fine. I personally have mine set to 0.975v (-125mv undervolt) without any issues yet. Intel XTU also allows you to undervolt the intel graphics card. Not sure if it really makes a diffeerence but I have mine at -100mv.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only downside of undervolting is less stability, meaning there's a higher chance for crashes while gaming. At 1.0v it should be fine. I personally have mine set to 0.975v (-125mv undervolt) without any issues yet. Intel XTU also allows you to undervolt the intel graphics card. Not sure if it really makes a diffeerence but I have mine at -100mv.

not a big deal really, just thought id clarify so nobody gets confused.. the intel "graphics card" is not really a graphics card. rather, it is a GPU that is integrated into the processor ... The Haswell series of chips, i7 4700MQ for example, has the intel HD 4600 class of iGPU. A "graphics card" is a discrete piece of hardware (that utilizes the PCIe bus). I'm sure you know this and is just a matter of nomenclature, but im sure there are others who don't know...

Good deal, thanks for the input. I'll give it a try.

On a different note, I just got my HDD caddy for the ultrabay and was relieved to see that it fits perfectly. After sifting through a heap of conflicting listings at a few different cites, I came to the conclusion that all the 9.5mm sata-to-sata caddies are the same. Either I was right or I just got lucky...

Once my wifi ac card gets here I'll crack open the laptop and do some upgrading. I hate popping off that back panel so I'm waiting on the HDD to SSD swap until I can kill both birds with one stone.

Hi!

I'm new on this forum, I found it because I want my y510p to run on cooler temperatures. If I use it for gaming or video rendering, the CPU and the GPU gets very hot, the computer reaches 92+ celsius.(I have the i5 4200m, 1xNV GT755m model) If I understood, this modified BIOS has unlocked advanced menus and in one of theese I can change the cooling behaviour. Is this true?

Thanks for your help!

Thank u Very much for this Modded Bios !!! wish God \ some big power will bless U ...

ahmm I got a little problem...I follow the steps at your instructions..until I got an error massage at Downgrading the bios to V2.07 which says : "Bios Version Compare Error" (its shows up imminently when I open the Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock].exe file)

what I have done till now :

1. got 3.05 bios

2.backup the bios \ get the v305Mod.bin via biosfixer.exe

what should I do with this error massage?

Thank U Again ! :)

Hi!

I have a question about this BIOS mod. As far as I understand this mod opens some advanced menus, and as I saw it on the video in post #1 there is a possibility of changing the cooling characteristics of the laptop. So with this mod, can I have cooler temperatures?

Has anyone with a 7260AC upgraded to the modded v3.05 and been able to successfully get their wifi card to go to sleep without disabling Bluetooth?

My laptop functions 100% properly. I flashed modded 3.05 a day after release by svl7, put in the intel 7260 AC card the day after that and havnt looked back...

Hi!

I have a question about this BIOS mod. As far as I understand this mod opens some advanced menus, and as I saw it on the video in post #1 there is a possibility of changing the cooling characteristics of the laptop. So with this mod, can I have cooler temperatures?

Depends on what you're looking for. The advanced menus do have some thermal configuration like specific temperatures when to activate fans but I think someone reported that changing those values don't make a difference. Other stuff you can do is undervolt using nvidia inspector/intel XTU (i would stay away from the voltage/OC settings in the bios). Another useful thing with the bios mod I've found is disabling hyperthreading has allowed me to undervolt further than before, reducing temps even more. Whether or not you need HT is up to you, I just found that my games dont benefit or get hindered from HT.

Depends on what you're looking for. The advanced menus do have some thermal configuration like specific temperatures when to activate fans but I think someone reported that changing those values don't make a difference. Other stuff you can do is undervolt using nvidia inspector/intel XTU (i would stay away from the voltage/OC settings in the bios). Another useful thing with the bios mod I've found is disabling hyperthreading has allowed me to undervolt further than before, reducing temps even more. Whether or not you need HT is up to you, I just found that my games dont benefit or get hindered from HT.

Thanks for your information, I hoped that thoose options would save my life :)

I think I'll wait for other people's opinions before flashing my BIOS, until then I'll stick to underclocking and undervolting.

My laptop functions 100% properly. I flashed modded 3.05 a day after release by svl7, put in the intel 7260 AC card the day after that and havnt looked back...

Good to know; this is exactly what I'm looking to do when my 7260 arrives later this week. Have you noticed the speeds capping out slower than they should. A number of pages back in this thread someone remarked that they could only get about 50mbps down with the new card when the network was capable of more. My home setup isn't even faster enough for it to really matter, I'm just curious.

Great work svl7. Thank you so very much for your time and dedication. I have a request for the files to be made more available to the general public as i think every one with this machine needs the removal of the white list. This is a great forum but the restrictions are too great. thank you.

Thanks for your information, I hoped that thoose options would save my life :)

I think I'll wait for other people's opinions before flashing my BIOS, until then I'll stick to underclocking and undervolting.

Can you do the undervolting etc. without first flashing the modded BIOS? Even with the mentioned software, I mean.

Can you do the undervolting etc. without first flashing the modded BIOS? Even with the mentioned software, I mean.

Yes, I could undervolt the CPU with Intel XTU with stock unmodified bios, and underclock it with Throttle Stop. I haven't tried it with the GPU yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank u Very much for this Modded Bios !!! wish God \ some big power will bless U ...

ahmm I got a little problem...I follow the steps at your instructions..until I got an error massage at Downgrading the bios to V2.07 which says : "Bios Version Compare Error" (its shows up imminently when I open the Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock].exe file)

what I have done till now :

1. got 3.05 bios

2.backup the bios \ get the v305Mod.bin via biosfixer.exe

what should I do with this error massage?

Thank U Again ! :)

Check your Back flash bios setting is enable.

Does anybody know if the new unlocked 3.05 bios lifts the Ultrabay GPU restriction? Last I recalled, it does not. Perhaps there are some new unlocked settings within the bios which will allow it to be unlocked?

Thanks again, svl7, for creating and maintaining this thread. Following your instructions, I was able to get to modded 3.05 so that I could install my wifi-AC card! That plus the SSD I just dropped in (original 1TB HDD is in a caddy in the ultrabay for extra storage), I'm in love with my machine all over again. You rock! One small suggestion would be to update the instructions to include mention of setting the BIOS to allow for back flashing to go from stock 3.05 to 2.07. That was the only bit of information I had to find elsewhere in the thread to make it work. Thanks again!