Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

this is how it is supposed to look when i flash modded vbios?

EDIT:

"Vbios - you should now get proper boost all the time and full control with under- and overvolting capabilities."

IMO UV /OV should be same for both and propered boost in ultrabay to 1058.5 seems not to work.

You may use Kepler Bios Tweaker to look at designed changes.

EDIT:

"Vbios - you should now get proper boost all the time and full control with under- and overvolting capabilities."

IMO UV /OV should be same for both and propered boost in ultrabay to 1058.5 seems not to work.

You may use Kepler Bios Tweaker to look at designed changes.

And now?

nvidia_20140727_040827.png

nvidia_20140727_040835.png

Does the system POST? Can you boot DOS blindly?

How can I test this? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I just hooked up a usb dvd drive to it and put in a windows 7 dvd, it doesnt seem to be loading it because the light would blink as its reading the disc (and its not), the computer just turns on, keyboard stays lit, fan blows for a while and then the laptop shuts off and this cycle repeats

nvidia_20140727_024012.png

nvidia_20140727_024040.png

this is how it is supposed to look when i flash modded vbios?

No, you also need to flash the ultra bay gpu, that one is still stock on your screenshot. See second post for details.

I just hooked up a usb dvd drive to it and put in a windows 7 dvd, it doesnt seem to be loading it because the light would blink as its reading the disc (and its not), the computer just turns on, keyboard stays lit, fan blows for a while and then the laptop shuts off and this cycle repeats

I'm not sure whether usb dvd drives are working during boot.

The recovery procedure doesn't work?

However, svl, I noticed the output of Biosfixer 2.0 from 3.05 zip file was named v305Mod.bin and I checked your BIOS.bat file had this line: "fpt -f 305mod.bin -BIOS". I fixed the BIOS.bat to match with the file name so I had mine as "fpt -f v305mod.bin -BIOS". Just a little something in case something people will come across...

Whoopsie, my bad, thanks for pointing out, I'll fix that.

Walkthrough of what worked for me. svl7, I know you cant test this since you dont have a y510, but this is what I had to do to make it work;

(I was on 1.10 stock)

1) Updated to [O] 3.05 via exe. Worked

2) Made backup using provided exe. Worked.

3) Tried to flash to 2.07 with the exe, didnt work. Error message was about a wrong BIOS detected. After fiddling around I had to boot off the USB and run ec.bat, then boot back into windows and run the 2.07 exe.

4) After getting back on 2.07 I booted to USB, ran the bios.bat, and EC.bat (again) just to make sure. Both worked.

5) Rebooted, went into bios on a clearly modified 3.05 bios. woo-hoo!

6) Bought svl7 a beer :single_eye:

• Thumbs Up 1

3) Tried to flash to 2.07 with the exe, didnt work. Error message was about a wrong BIOS detected. After fiddling around I had to boot off the USB and run ec.bat, then boot back into windows and run the 2.07 exe.

Anyone else getting this error? If so please let me know, including detailed error message.

I can flash only one vbios... i0 option wont flash my vbios, nothing happens. only with i1 option i can flash my vbios

You can only flash the ultra bay gpu per nvflash, the other vbios is part of the bios.

Anyone else getting this error? If so please let me know, including detailed error message.

You can only flash the ultra bay gpu per nvflash, the other vbios is part of the bios.

And how to flash the other vbios part?

I don't think mine was a wrong bios detected error but I did have to "enable" flashing old version in bios to downgrade from 3.05 to 2.07. I don't remember the exact title. It's in the same section as enabling/disabling "wireless" towards the bottom.

• Thumbs Up 1

You flash the bios, post nr 1... -.-

I would also like to share. First of all, I extracted Yx01.bi? BIOS recovery and wanted to make sure I can recover from unexpected. But nothing worked on y510p, tried FAT/FAT32, different block sizes, bootable and non-bootable flash, tried different usb ports, tried different key combinations (fn/win+b/c/x/z/r/Esc/Space). Nothing worked. A the hell with it.. Maybe anybody knows how to fix bricked y510p if its not booting and with black screen?

Next step - I have done a lot of benchmarks on my y510p to make sure what, how, and when works, both with 1x755m and 2x755m SLI. I have also tried modifying my vbios with kepler bios tool. Apperently, I have done the same modifications as lsv7 did and had some.. issues. Slv7 is right - lenovo engineers did something strange with those vbios'es. I will share some tests about vbios on the next post.

So, before actual bios update, I made my bios copy with several tools - every single one producing binary equal images. Good. I used andys tool again, extracted vbios from bios. Also used nvflash for windows and backed up nvidia bios. It produced same image as from DOS. Better save than sorry.

I ran BiosFixer of 3.05 mod on my extraced 3.05 bios and got myself my modded bios rom/bin. Then I downloaded Rufus, made FAT32 FreeDOS bootable partition with 2KB allocation units. Put there EC.bat, BIOS.bat, 3.05 original bios with restore.bat (that I could restore if something happened) and made VBIOS.bat to flash.

So, I rebooted into bios, restored factory default settings, disabled secure boot, enabled boot from usb, enabled flashback support (all those options which could prevent flashing bios to 2.07). Then, booted into Windows, ran 2.07 stock (Ran as Administrator), windows restarted into DOS and flashed my bios. So far so good - EC and BIOS 2.07. I went straight into BIOS and restored factory defaults again (thats what you do before and after bios flashing).

So, again, I rebooted into bios, turned on legacy bios support, restored factory default settings, disabled secure boot, enabled boot from usb, enabled flashback support, restarted. This time into the bootable USB. I ran BIOS.bat, flashed into 3.05. I ran EC.bat and got error - I was only on AC, battery taken out. Then I put in the battery, and only then flashed into 3.05 EC (remember, was 2.07 after last flashing). Then, I tried VBIOS.bat and.. it failed. Tried making backup of vbios - was success. But flasing failed. No biggie - I figured I had bad nvflash for DOS. So, I turned off computer, put USB into my other laptop and checked the version, it was 5.128.x. So, I downloaded 5.136, put into USB, inserted USB into y510p, booted into DOS, flashed VBIOS and.. it was success this time. Well, last time I did VBIOS flash on my own modified VBIOS, I did with nvflash for windows, just I needed to restart computer after that.. but it was same as from DOS.

I rebooted into BIOS again.. 3.05 BIOS, 3.05 EC, all good. Restored factory default settings! Booted into windows 8.1. Seems slv7 is right - everything is working just fine. I also can unlock and modify TDP of 4700MQ at last - I can get rid of TDP throttling and get to temperature throttling only at last. Also, main fan speed and temperatures can be modified, changed from default 55C for TP1 (low->med fan 75%), 71C for TP2 (med-high 100% <- it is not over 100% as in dust removal function, just normal 100%), and on 95C passive throttling on.

And.. ran some tests on VBIOS 2x755m SLI again. Results will follow..

You flash the bios, post nr 1... -.-

slv7 asked for some voltage testing.. but I just did not have time to actually test until it was too late and slv7 released the mod. So here are mixed results before the flasing (and noted difference after the flash in parenthesis).

1 x 755m [built in Nvidia vBIOS: 80.07.A8.00.2E]

post-27390-14494998012761_thumb.png

AC

desc, voltage, Base/Mem

intel HD, 0.806 V, 135/202.5 Mhz

idle, 1.031 V, 979.8/1350 Mhz

99 load, 1.106 V, 1097.4/1350 Mhz

Battery

intel HD, 0.806 V, 135/202.5 Mhz

idle, 0.850 V, 135/400 Mhz

99 load, 0.850 V, 135/400 Mhz

Note: Seems that Nvidia Power management works on battery mode

Note 2: it does not let me to overclock before the 755mOC - nvidia inspector just returns to default values.

2 x 755m in SLI [ultrabay Nvidia vBIOS: 80.07.A8.00.32]

post-27390-14494998013086_thumb.gif

AC

desc, voltage, Base/Mem

idle, 1.025 V, 979.80/1350 Mhz (1.1000 V on OC rom, 1097.4/1350 Mhz on OC ROM)

99 load, 1.106 V, 1097.4/1350 Mhz auto -12.5 mV when OC +135 base/200 mem (1.1000 V on OC rom; DOES NOT lower voltage when OC +135 base/200 mem, but can do it yourself)

Battery

idle, 0.806 V, 135/202.5 Mhz

99 load, 0.806 V, 135/202.5 Mhz

Note: seems that 2x Nvidia GPUs are undervolted more than on 1x

Note 2: seems that original 755m VBIOS, when I set +135base/+200mem settings, lowers my voltage with -12.5 mV

Note 3: seems on 2x SLI, vBIOS on Ultrabay works for both GPUs

Note 4: when using 755mOC slv7 rom, +135/+200 always crashes Unigine 4.0 benchmark and reverts to 0/0, but when using stock it does not. BUT, I tried +120 base/+200mem, -12.5V,

and I got better results than with +135base before.

So all in all, I get better results with 755mOC rom than with original. Its just that original ROM lets me make +135base/+200mem max and manages voltage automatically. And does not crash on those settings. Then again, it has 1.106V under load while slv7 755mOC has 1.100V. I guess it makes a difference on my card. My friend has exact same y510p, but it crashes unigine benchmark at +135/+200 on original VBIOS while on my y510p it does not. I guess that 0.006 V (or 6 mV difference) does really matter on my PC.

Also, even with 755mOC rom and modded 3.05 VBIOS I cannot change temperature prioritization in nvidia inspector. If anyone knows how to change that setting please tell, I could not find anything in the BIOS for that.

The funny thing is that im on modded v3.05 bios now... and ultrabay gpu vbios is flashed, am i doing something wrong?

So you are all good. Because internal VBIOS is inside BIOS bin file.. so IF you flashed to 3.05 modded, you also got VBIOS modded for internal GPU. And you flashed ultrabay GPU, so external one is flashed too. All good then?

- - - Updated - - -

There is newer version of nvflash

Download NVFlash 5.136 | techPowerUp

For me 5.128.x did not work - got error, at least for 755m. But 5.136 worked.

Quick Question, I have the modded 2.07 bios, and due to installing that, I already had to downgrade from stock 3.05 (which i made a backup of)........i used the biosfixer for 3.05 on my backup of my stock 3.05 bios and it worked (it created a v305mod.bin file)................SO THE QUESTION IS: instead of going back to stock 2.07 bios, can i just flash from the modded 2.07 bios installed to the modded 3.05 bios?.................................also do i have to remove my 7260 AC card i installed before doing this?

The funny thing is that im on modded v3.05 bios now... and ultrabay gpu vbios is flashed, am i doing something wrong?

According to your screenshot you did not flash the ultra bay vbios.

can i just flash from the modded 2.07 bios installed to the modded 3.05 bios?.................................also do i have to remove my 7260 AC card i installed before doing this?

If you already have a 3.05 backup of your bios then you can skip the first steps and flash directly from your modified 2.07. You still need to flash the EC though...

Since you flash from the modified 2.07 you won't need to remove the wlan card since the whitelist is removed in the mod version of 2.07.

Some clearer Instruction on how to install the new version with an 3.05 stock bios already installed would be greatly appreciated.

You can't get much clearer instructions than the really helpful tut posted by PlaZing on page 97. I also read a few pages back and saw that you wanted to cool the ultrabay GPU by controlling the fan, unfortunately you can't, Lenovo's reasons for doing that are unknown. The best bet you can get to cool your ultrabay GPU is repaste it with something like Arctic MX-4, unshroud the fans, and get a decent cooling pad.

Hi again!

Yesterday i installed the new bios mod that svl7 provided! (3.05)

Smooth install and everything went fine!

I didn't have the time to play around with it yet but will prob do it later 2 day.

Ty for your hard work svl7!

• Thumbs Up 1