Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

I picked up a y510p that came with 3.05 bios already on it. What did they do to that version of the bios that whitelist can't be removed? If I go with an older version of the bios will I have any problems with my 755 sli?

I just wanted to add my thanks to SVL7 for the whitelist mods. I have an early Y510P with the 1.07 BIOS. Experiencing the excessive battery drain problem when shut down, and sick of el-cheapo WiFi card.

I found the 3.05 BIOS flash here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5979-bios-update-y410p-y510p-74cn44ww-v3-05-a.html

Then I backflashed it to 2.07 here (probably could've skipped the 3.05 update first, but didn't want to risk it): http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5405-please-make-modded-y510p-bios-based-74cn44ww-v3-05-a-2.html#post77265

Then ran the whitelist mod on this thread so I could run my new 7260AC WiFi card.

The updated BIOS fixed my excessive battery drain problem. I had tried everything prior to this. Removed the wifi card, removed the SSD, disabled WOL, disabled fast startup, new battery, Energy Management app, etc. Nothing fixed it until I flashed a newer BIOS, and I was losing at a rate of 1-2% per hour when completely shut down.

BTW: Disabling Bluetooth on the 7260AC card solved the sleep problem as well. Not ideal, but I can live with it for now.

How do you disable the bluetooth? I tried device manager and disabled the bluetooth there, but that didn't solve the sleep issues... Is there another way to do it?

Thanks

How do you disable the bluetooth? I tried device manager and disabled the bluetooth there, but that didn't solve the sleep issues... Is there another way to do it?

Thanks

That's exactly what I did. I installed the latest Intel wifi and bluetooth drivers for the card, and then went into the device manager, highlighted the "Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® 4.0 + HS Adapter" and disabled it. Seems to sleep now, but I didn't wait around a while to see if it remained sleeping. Basically I was just disabling different wifi features and hitting "sleep" over and over to see which thing did the trick. For example, it sleeps just fine if I put the laptop in Airplane mode (running Windows 8.1). From there I just started disabling things/re-enabling things until I got a combination that allowed it to sleep.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks

i didnt do anything else other than i turned off bluetooth under airplane mode. it works but half the time. to sleep it might take one or two tries.

• Thumbs Up 1

i didnt do anything else other than i turned off bluetooth under airplane mode. it works but half the time. to sleep it might take one or two tries.

ah that might be my problem. I try once or maybe twice and it fails, then give up!

@ all the 3.05 requests: I tried something a while ago, if I remember correctly the problem is that all flashing of unsigned code is blocked in 3.05... so the only way would be downgrade to stock 2.07 and then flashing a modified 2.07, or flashing a modified 3.05, but the problem then is flashing the newer EC... Anyone in for some testing?

EC can not flash by oneself.It do not store in the SPI IC(2M 4M).

I used the spi programmer,EC can not change.

The EC program must store in the IC(IT8586E).

Well, technically it can be flashed separately by software, I just don't have a system to test that.

@ all the 3.05 requests: I tried something a while ago, if I remember correctly the problem is that all flashing of unsigned code is blocked in 3.05... so the only way would be downgrade to stock 2.07 and then flashing a modified 2.07, or flashing a modified 3.05, but the problem then is flashing the newer EC... Anyone in for some testing?

OK, so i if good understand... When we downgrade to 2.07 - EC is also downgrade to right for 2.07... and when i upgrade to modified 3.05 the EC still stay the same for 2.07?! Why EC aren't upgrade with 3.05? Please can You explain it for me?

The problem is the only way to flash a modified bios is currently using the way I described in the first post, and that doesn't flash the EC, only the bios.

If you use the official updates (for downgrading or upgrading, doesn't matter) then it will flash the EC as well, but only then.

OK.. so... If i downgrade my stock 3.05 to 2.07 with bios from here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5405-please-make-modded-y510p-bios-based-74cn44ww-v3-05-a-2.html

my EC stay still with version compatible for 3.05 and then if you mod the stock 3.05, when i upgrade to this version (with your way) my EC be still right for 3.05. Probably everything would be fine?! Or maybe i'm wrong?

No, your EC will most likely be the 2.07 one afterwards. Well the only way to find out is to try... Usually a downgrade also flashes the older EC version.

Noob question here, my Lenovo Y510p is currently running on BIOS version 2.02 and I have no idea where I could possibly get to one of the BIOS versions that is supported (preferably v2.04 I suppose). Lenovo's website isn't helping much either and it just doesn' t seem to exist on the entire internet \rant

tl;dr: how do I get from version 2.02 to 2.04 so that I can finally use the whitelist mod, where can I find it?

I can do some test,if the software exist.

Yes, please.

But first of all, can you tell me whether the EC gets flashed when downgrading the bios with an official update? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I can't verify that.

tl;dr: how do I get from version 2.02 to 2.04 so that I can finally use the whitelist mod, where can I find it?

You can use the update to 2.07 and then flash the modified 2.07.

You can use the update to 2.07 and then flash the modified 2.07.

I'm trying to find that version as well, but all I came back with is: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7158-y510p-2-07-bios-download.html

Do I really need to upgrade to v3.05 first in order to downgrade to v2.07? It sounds really illogical and risky. Does anyone happen to have the BIOS version 2.07 stock installer?