Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

When i try to create a backup all i get is a "bios.bin" file and when i drag it on the bios fixer 2.0, it just opens up the bios fixer window with nothing displayed to create the biosmod

edit*

nvm i fixed it. you drag the bios.bin file into the biosfixer 2.0 once it's opened, not directly onto the exe

Anyone try win 10 with this bios mod? Can anyone please comment with their trial? Do all drivers work (those from win 8.1)?

Windows 10 work fine here I've used it since the first preview.

I have not tried it and wont try it. Why? Because Y510p is officially not supported by Lenovo for Win 10.

My advise to keep a gaming rig running is to stay on win 8.1 as most games run on that OS.

As for observations around the forums I have gathered that you may encounter either of these problems -

1) Unable to adjust brightness

2) Wifi stops working (Big Issue on both 7260 and 2230 chips)

3) Lenovo support apps stop working.

4) BSOD

Only a couple of users have reported W10 success on Y510p.

1) Never have this problem just make sure you get the latest driver from Nvidia for SLI y510p

2) Wifi work fine here but my chip is Atheros not Intel. So I don't know about Intel chip problem.

3) Lenovo support apps : don't know about this app. I've never used or seen it.

4) BSOD : Rarely have one. Most BSOD happened by bad driver(outdate or bad installation) so try finding the latest driver for the hardware from hw manufacturer such as from Nvidia site for nvidia gpu

Also I don't know why Lenovo doesn't support Y510P for windows 10. They even support the older y500.

Also if you want to find some windows 10 drivers for y510p, you can look at y500 windows 10 drivers on Lenovo site. Most windows 10 drivers for y500 actually list y510p as support! and I install it with no problem.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I see... Thanks for the reply.

BTW, i think i am going to end up selling this laptop because i cannot get this GT755m to work at all.

I have tried the driver's in lenovo website, nvidia website (various driver's including the latest ones)..

I have tried doing registry cleaning before installing, i have formatted to windows 7, 8.1, 10 and nothing helps

me get that error code away.... maybe someone has any idea or a similar problem and have a solution as a last

hope before i end up selling this laptop :(

because i think i have tried everything unless it's a defective hardware issue?....

once again any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

@Lizzo @drschwabe .... maybe one of you guys have any info on this ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16191[/ATTACH]

i have same problem, and i follow all intruction what i found in internet. but that problem still appear.

but, before update bios to 3.08, i think this i don't have that problem.

after i have problem with my HDD n i change that with new HDD. i'm download and install in website, n i upgrade the bios from v3.05 to v3.08.

finally i have that problem, NVIDIA GT755M can't work normally, just detect but not running.

so i think this BIOS v3.08 problem.

Hi! I have a question about flashing the ultra bay

after i put in dos commands

nvflash -a

there is 2 graphic adapters "0" and "1"

then i started to flash "1"

nvflash -i1 -r

nvflash -i1 --save xxxxxx.rom

nvflash -i1 -6 755mOC.rom

flashing was passed perfect!

when i wanted to start flash "0"

i put in

nvflash -i0 -r

and DOS writes that EEPROM is not supported

should I flash "0" at all? or it is good enough to flash only "1"?

nvflash -a

nvflash -i1 -r

i put in

nvflash -i0 -r

Hey I had the same problem. After browsing the forums a bit it seems we only have to flash the ultrabay(1) card. Apparently the main(0) graphics card was taken care of when we flashed the BIOS in the previous steps. I've already gone through with it. When I look at my graphics cards using nvidia inspector it lists both as MODIFIED so I think it worked out alright. Hope I was able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

nvflash -a

nvflash -i1 -r

i put in

nvflash -i0 -r

You only need to flash the Ultrabay. (1)

The BIOS flash takes care of the Main GPU.

I'm in the same boat too with 3.08. I didn't realize this thread existed before updating and now I'm looking to downgrade or find a modded version of 3.08.

I found that when running the dual 750m on my Y510P, that the frame buffer is vertically shifting down when running anything other than windows. After removing the secondary GPU and booting into arch linux, the vertical shifting stopped. So I'm looking to use this for disabling the second gpu while keeping it in the slot because I don't want to have to order the fan to put in the slot instead.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14233[/ATTACH]

I was wondering if disabling a PCI-e slot will disable the Ultrabay graphics card while its plugged in, any brave soul having the SLI setup willing to test? :D

P.S: All the PCI-e root ports have the same settings as port 8, btw I would have tried but I'm not in the US and I still have warranty. @allstone share your thoughts.

Tried each of them. No combination of disabling them turned off the ultrabay graphics card, or anything really important for that matter.

Port 1: Unknown (Didn't attempt)

Port 2: No effect

Port 3: No effect

Port 4: No effect

Port 5: Wifi card was not found

Port 6: Wifi card was not found

Port 7: No effect

Port 8: No effect

Bios fixer 2.0 doesn't do anything at all.

Nothing when I run bios fixer 2.0 as administrator with all the various compatibility modes.

Nothing when I open it first and try to drag my backup bios.bin on to the window. That just gives me a black circle with a line through it.

Nothing when i put the contents of folder [1] into the folder [2] where bios fixer 2.0 is and try to drag my bios on to the open bios fixer window. Still a black circle with a line through it.

I did this bios fix before on the same laptop when I was running window 8, but now I'm on Windows 10. I stupidly was updating firmware on the Lenovo website and forgot I had patched the bios for my intel AC 7260 wireless card. Is there something different about Win 10 that's screwing with this???

***UPDATE***

Ummm I don't understand this, but it occurred to me to throw everything on a USB and transfer it to another laptop also running Windows 10....and that one ran the Bios Fixer and produced my modded bios... I guess I am better off than I was before, but I'm now more confused by this seemingly magical event...:angry:

And of course attempting the next step produces a new problem. When trying to downgrade to bios 2.07 I get "InsydeFlash cannot load the driver. Please close all applications. If you run this utility in Windows 8, please run as Administrator."

Of course I ran it as administrator... and in compatibility modes.

I just flashed my bios with this mod and everything came up fine, I booted linux mint 17 and that looked great. The only issue i'm having now is that my Windows 7 partition is quickly showing a blue-screen error and a black screen. Then the system recovery blinks up quickly and it goes back to black again. What could be causing Windows 7 to not work with this bios mod? I did exactly as stated in the instructions, including loading default settings.

post-40751-14495001193824_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Fixed by changing SATA mode to Compatible/IDE

Awesome mod! I've been lurking around for a while now and finally gave this a go. I have the Y510P model with i7, 1TB HDD, 24GB M.2 (upg. to 256GB), GT750M and 1080p matte LCD. Everything went smooth. Running Win7 x64, Intel XTU undervolt+overclock, GT750M undervolt+overclock w/ nvidiaInspector, buttery smooth and no crashes on long sessions of gaming. I've read lots and lots of forums regarding high temps but mine never seemed to get so high as to throttle (even gaming on a surface that doesn't let much air flow in), but I do use IdeaFan now just to make the hardware last longer.

I was wondering tho, if anyone has a modded ultrabay GPU for sale that works with internal GT750M, please PM me! I'm looking to upgrade this beast.

Thanks again svl7!

Bios Mod successfully updated :D thank you alooooot.

However, I changed the GT voltage offset to -125mv in BIOS. Now the Laptop doesnt boot. Its stuck at a black screen, no bios menu, not even the lenovo logo. Is there a way to fix this please?

Hello all

This is my first post on this Forum.

First of all ,glad to see you.

The reason for asking for help is:

From few time i am the ower of a Lenovo Y510p notebook.

All good until i have tried to enter in bios.The bos prompted me for password.The bad news is that i do not have the password and the seller sais that he forgot it.

Is any way to unlock the bios or "hack" it???

Is the reflashing a solution to remove bios password???If yes could you give me a tutorial to do this(this topic have a lot of pages and as new yhat i am here will be almost impossible to read all)???

Sorry for my poor English

Have a nice day

Hello,

I have the lenovo Y510p SLI version, I modded the bios and then I started with the vbios, but i can't flash one of the graphic cards, the one with index 0. When I input the command it does nothing. The other one worked well. I can see them in Nvidia Inspector. Any ideeas?

post-40958-14495001230673_thumb.png

Thanks

post-40958-14495001230427_thumb.png

Trying to see if i can fix my problem without modding the BIOS first

Ive recently bought a new moniter to do 144hz but the intel graphics are capped at 60hz

would modding the BIOS give me access so that the nvidia graphics will be used for displays rather than

the intel graphics?

Awesome mod! I've been lurking around for a while now and finally gave this a go. I have the Y510P model with i7, 1TB HDD, 24GB M.2 (upg. to 256GB), GT750M and 1080p matte LCD. Everything went smooth. Running Win7 x64, Intel XTU undervolt+overclock, GT750M undervolt+overclock w/ nvidiaInspector, buttery smooth and no crashes on long sessions of gaming. I've read lots and lots of forums regarding high temps but mine never seemed to get so high as to throttle (even gaming on a surface that doesn't let much air flow in), but I do use IdeaFan now just to make the hardware last longer.

I was wondering tho, if anyone has a modded ultrabay GPU for sale that works with internal GT750M, please PM me! I'm looking to upgrade this beast.

Thanks again svl7!

I stumbled upon this message board after a few days of trying the various "solutions" to fixing my slow wifi speeds on my Y510p - I think I am going to try reflashing the BIOS with the whitelist MOD to allow me to replace the Intel Wireless N-7260. I want to know if there is a specific card that seems to be agreed upon as the most stable card to use as a replacement?

I replied to this specific post because when I ordered my Y510p I ordered the dual GT750M cards, and my original laptop was damaged (a nice hole through the box, into the screen) so I had it replaced by Lenovo and they sent me a 3rd GT750M card which I still have new in the box. I was keeping it as a spare, but I have all but basically stopped gaming due to time restrictions...kids, work etc. I am willing to sell it, just send me a PM...I have not found how to PM on here. I am located in the United States, East Coast.

Thanks - Great info here...seems like an awesome community.

I've recently ordered this wifi card: Broadcom BCM4352 Azurewave AW-CE123H 802.11ac/nbg WiFi+BT 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Card. Do you know if I'll need to use the mod bios or the normal one will work just fine?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

I've recently ordered this wifi card: Broadcom BCM4352 Azurewave AW-CE123H 802.11ac/nbg WiFi+BT 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Card. Do you know if I'll need to use the mod bios or the normal one will work just fine?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Normal would work just fine. I'm using the same for a year now. Best wifi card i've used so far. Best part, it even works on mac OSX.

I have very bad news, for me...

I've recently updated (2 days ago) to BIOS 3.08. I had the original BIOS that came with my lenovo Y510P, the BIOS 3.05 rev 3.7.

After that update, I'm having these issues, that of course I didn't before the update:

1. The notebook gets frozen or stuck when I open Windows Update

2. When I shut it down, it gets frozen with the red keys on forever when the "shutting down" windows has finished

3. It gets stuck when I restart it, staying forever in the "Restarting..." screen.

4. Many of the time I see the disk usage is 100%, and that didn't happen at all , never. Something called "Service Host Local Network Restricted 6" is what is causing this, and a sub process is called NetBios helper. Nevertheless, the disk usage shown in the performance tab is 100%, but the percentage shown in the processes tab is 50%. I've never seen that neither.

This notebook has been working fine for more than 2 years. And I really think it's the BIOS update whats causing this, cause it's the major thing I can recall I've done in the last week.

I've recover the notebook to 1 week ago, where the notebook was working fine, but it's still having those issues.

What can I do? Where can I get my original official BIOS 3.05 rev 3.7? How can an official BIOS affect my system that way?

It's not a virus. I've run AdwCleaner, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Disk Cleaner, Optimized units, Defragment HDD, etc.