Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

NeoZeruel, I think you misunderstood me. I would like to downgrade my BIOS not VBIOS. Between BIOS and VBIOS is a difference. BIOS handles IO during the boot process, while VBIOS handles video related IO. Currently I am stuck on 3.05 but need 2.07 as described in step (3). The downgrade tool does not support dos mode. I've tried with win installation command prompt but this one didn't work as well.

Update:

I managed to downgrade my BIOS. :D

(My win installation is a 64 bit version. This might be the reason I couldn't use the program from step 3.)

What I did: (Notice: I do not recommend this to do on your own, unless some expert here confirm that this method is not dangerous!)

* I've extracted 74cn44ww.exe (Original BIOS Upgrade to 3.05)

* Removed Win305.bin and platform.ini

* Extracted Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock].exe (BIOS downgrade tool to 2.07)

* Copied Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock]/platform.ini and Y510p-Y410p_v207_[stock]/207stock.ti to 74cn44ww

* Called 74cn44ww/InsydeFlashx64.exe

* From here the downgrade mechanics started to rotate.

Update:

Finally upgraded to moded bios :)

And NeoZeruel, thank you for the link, I used that for vbios flash.

Ok first of all thanks to svl7 for all his efforts. I own the 750m Sli model. I flashed the BIOS and now my EC and BIOS stand at 3.05 with everything unlocked. Next up I flash the ultrabay. I used the same USB disk used for the BIOS mod. The VBIOS I used was 750mOC from the file "Ultra Bay VBIOS for [v3.05]_modified". Flashed succesfully but in device manager, GPU#1 has an exclamation mark (GPU2 is fine) and with nvidia control panel throwing an error " No nvidia GPU attached to display...". I tried to flash again by changing the vbios' name to 8 characs and this time it worked. I undervolted and played Dead Rising 3 for 30-40mins until GPU1 reached 97C. It didn't crash like before it would within 15-20mins. I thought well the flashing process was done and dusted but I was wrong, I restart and again I get an exclamation mark to GPU1 with nvidia control panel throwing the same error. Am I doing something wrong? And why is my ultrabay GPU designated as GPU1 and internal as GPU2 (Hwinfo reports that too)?

I just downgraded from 3.05 to 2.07, and applied the whitelist fix. It all worked perfectly. Thankyou.

My Intel 7260HMW is now mostly working - I just need to find a decent set of drivers for the Bluetooth.

Hi,

I successfully managed to install the BIOS mod and followed the exact same BIOS settings as shown in the YouTube video. I was wondering how you applied the whitelist fix or is it automatic? Also, if you have any other tips lmk. :)

Thank you,

Asvin

UPDATE: Wireless is working fine. Thank you! :)

Hi,

I managed to mod my bios and mod my VBIOS for the ultrabay of my Y510p successfully and then I set all the setting as they were set according to the YouTube video that was linked. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it and I managed to install my new WiFi card for 5GHz Performance.

Although, I'm having trouble with my sound. I get a crackling noise through my headset and the speakers of my laptop whenever anything is played and is quite annoying. In addition, my Razer Mamba mouse seems to be stalling (like hiccups) for some weird reason. And there are quite a few unknown devices in device manager. I was wondering if someone could help me with these problems?

Thank you

Before I did this bios mod my 755m got to 98°C in Furmark v1.14.1.4 with 1280x720 (2x MSAA) pretty fast (in little more than 2 min) and started throttling, now after the mod and -125mV undervolt in nvidia inspector it gets max 84°C after 10 min in Furmark, great stuff :) I only have one question if anyone can help out, I clicked on "create clocks shortcut" button in nvidia inspector, pressed "win+r" typed "shell:startup" put the created shortcut in the startup folder, but as it appears it wont apply the undervolt at startup, so i have to go to startup folder and manually double click the shortcut, anyone has a fix for this?

Edit: Finally managed to make it work, had to create a scheduled task, the key thing is to enable "run with highest privileges" when creating the task

@svl7: I noticed you have an M15x laptop. I have a bunch of spare parts from my old one that I lost a while back. Would you like them? I think I have the dual core 2.66GHz CPU, 8GB of RAM, Geforce 260M, and maybe even a BluRay reader/DVD writer I can send your way just to say thanks for getting this BIOS hacked. Let me know if you're interested.

Pardon my noobnes, but can someone tell me why I should consider installing this BIOS? (y510p 755m SLI) I do a lot of gaming, use IdeaFan to run at full speed for cooling, so would value from a way to make fans run full speed.

The Y410p/510p's BIOS uses a whitelist for the wireless card. This means that if you try to install one that isn't on Lenovo's rather tiny list of "approved" cards, then the system will simply ignore it. This would be fine if the stock card was kosher, but the Intel Centrino 2230 is notoriously crap. A user who wants a better wireless card essentially has two options: find a Lenovo-branded card that the BIOS will accept (good luck with that), or mod the BIOS so that it doesn't perform the whitelist check.

post-26087-1449499958194_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if disabling a PCI-e slot will disable the Ultrabay graphics card while its plugged in, any brave soul having the SLI setup willing to test? :D

P.S: All the PCI-e root ports have the same settings as port 8, btw I would have tried but I'm not in the US and I still have warranty. @allstone share your thoughts.

post-26087-14494999581044_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999581601_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14233[/ATTACH]

I was wondering if disabling a PCI-e slot will disable the Ultrabay graphics card while its plugged in, any brave soul having the SLI setup willing to test? :D

P.S: All the PCI-e root ports have the same settings as port 8, btw I would have tried but I'm not in the US and I still have warranty.

Why would you want to disable the Ultraybay graphics? To enable the Intel? So you can boot OS X? Hmm, I might be game. Anyone know how to reset the BIOS settings in case this fucks up? I don't really care if I have to cut, solder, or buy a programmer (up to maybe $50? I mean, how much is this knowledge really worth) and overwrite the BIOS settings that way. I mean, I depend on this machine, but it can be out of commission for a few days.

Why would you want to disable the Ultraybay graphics? To enable the Intel? So you can boot OS X? Hmm, I might be game. Anyone know how to reset the BIOS settings in case this fucks up? I don't really care if I have to cut, solder, or buy a programmer (up to maybe $50? I mean, how much is this knowledge really worth) and overwrite the BIOS settings that way. I mean, I depend on this machine, but it can be out of commission for a few days.
I read some pages back if you short the CMOS pins (two pins) on the mainboard, the BIOS is reset. I'm not sure though please search this thread. (pages after 120)

I read some pages back if you short the CMOS pins (two pins) on the mainboard, the BIOS is reset. I'm not sure though please search this thread. (pages after 120)

I read every page of this post, and remember something like that. However, I also remember it wasn't definitive and/or the poster never returned to confirm if my memory serves me right. I won't take the chance unless someone confirms directly a method for BIOS reset or I have the time to pull apart the machine and find out for myself.

I read every page of this post, and remember something like that. However, I also remember it wasn't definitive and/or the poster never returned to confirm if my memory serves me right. I won't take the chance unless someone confirms directly a method for BIOS reset or I have the time to pull apart the machine and find out for myself.

These are the settings which are automatically configured when Ultrabay is removed i.e iGPU enabled.

post-26087-14494999584238_thumb.jpg

And with SLI enabled:

post-26087-14494999585546_thumb.jpg

@svl7 @allstone shed your thoughts too.

post-26087-14494999582934_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999583262_thumb.jpg

post-26087-1449499958359_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999583904_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999584569_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999584889_thumb.jpg

post-26087-14494999585212_thumb.jpg

Excuse me,sorry if oot, is anyone here ever bricked the ultrabay 755m? Because ithink i ive done it..,wheneever i put the ultrabay, windows just gone to advance repair repair something, and wont let me boot to desktop..,i wanna try to oven the ultrabay vga wondering if i ever crack the board when i tightening the heatsink fan with spacer mod.. Or is it just because of the bricked vga? Because the last time ive done somthing to it is reinstalling graphics driver..and reboot and boom..

Excuse me,sorry if oot, is anyone here ever bricked the ultrabay 755m? Because ithink i ive done it..,wheneever i put the ultrabay, windows just gone to advance repair repair something, and wont let me boot to desktop..,i wanna try to oven the ultrabay vga wondering if i ever crack the board when i tightening the heatsink fan with spacer mod.. Or is it just because of the bricked vga? Because the last time ive done somthing to it is reinstalling graphics driver..and reboot and boom..

Do you mean to say the GPU isn't recognized after you over tightened the screws a.k.a spacer mod? Try to flash the custom vbios in DOS before baking.Good luck!

Has anyone figured a way to reset BIOS yet? I am going to take my Y510p apart soon to repaste and I could look for the spot if I know where to look. Thanks.

Do you mean to say the GPU isn't recognized after you over tightened the screws a.k.a spacer mod? Try to flash the custom vbios in DOS before baking.Good luck!

Yeah, the gpu isnt recognized..too much stressed i almost vbaking that...,okay, ill try the vbios later on..so far im trying to get to lenovo to have a new one,if they have one tho.., thank you for the advice! Gonna try it soon!

Anyone successfully restored bios for Y510P? My recovery file should be named YX01.BI? but I can't get the ? named in anything,even linux. Using fn + R, my flash drive has brief activity twice, but then nothing happens, so I'm guessing the filename must be wrong.

In the step where you have the reader downgrade to 2.07, have them double check that "Allow BIOS downgrade" is enabled. That's what caused a problem for me.

Yea, if you don't have this enabled, you'll get the error message: "BIOS version compare error!"