Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Well I have been trying to flash my bios so that I can change my wireless card to 7260 + bluetooth but to no avail. I think my usb drive isnt done properly. I got the EC part to flash not the bios though. So I have posted atleast 5 posts to be able to see the links but nobody has approved them yet. I have school work to catch up on and I am starting to really regret buying this laptop. It has gotten quite buggy lately with the wireless and then it started throttling to where it was using 100 percent of the processor and causing it to get hot just as I started it up. I have no idea why it did that starting up. It also wouldnt start up at all, it just went to the lenovo screen and stayed there and then I shut it down and pushed the power button and it wouldnt even start up at all. I thought it was the HD but it is fine. So it is becoming more and more buggy. Getting tired of it!

Hello guys. Having a Lenovo Y510P and looking to upgrade my wireless card for better performance while reading this great mod I am stuck in the step of dragging and dropping the backup bios into the BiosFixer. I grab the file and try to drop but it does not give me the options or do it. Is the BiosFixer tool has to be in the same folder as the backup? How can I make this possible so I can continue the flashing of the modified BIOS? Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks Svl7 for the mod.

Thanks TechInferno for the amazing vast information regarding our BIOS modification.

Is it possible to use the mPCI / PCI (not sure what kind of slot it uses) slot from the wlan card, and possible implement eGPU?

I'd imagine that if you did that you could possibly use a desktop GPU, but I'm not the best when it comes to modifying a laptop's internal parts, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok I am a noob at this and I just cannot get this to work. I have tried for the last week researching and trying different ways to backup my bios. Nothing is working. The supplied tool isnt working, my wireless card now is spotty and I am out of warranty. I tried skipping the backup step but the bios backup is required. Can you take me step by step of everything I need to do to get my wireless card to work. I got the 7260 wireless card.

(1) - Create a backup of your own BIOS (now v3.05) by using this tool.

Extract the files and run the included .bat file from an admin command prompt.

Ok I am a noob at this and I just cannot get this to work. I have tried for the last week researching and trying different ways to backup my bios. Nothing is working. The supplied tool isnt working, my wireless card now is spotty and I am out of warranty. I tried skipping the backup step but the bios backup is required. Can you take me step by step of everything I need to do to get my wireless card to work. I got the 7260 wireless card.

(1) - Create a backup of your own BIOS (now v3.05) by using this tool.

Extract the files and run the included .bat file from an admin command prompt.

You have to launch the CMD prompt via Run as administrator. Place the files to c:\ ... Once that you may need to navigate via dos your C drive. cd.. to exit folder and cd name to enter a folder. Once you have reached the folder of the file of the batch just type it and it will run. You will see when finish a .bin file created. Hope this helps

Sorry for my triple post... BUT I manage to complete everything but the laptop is not recognizing the USB so I cannot boot via USB. And Yes Boot from USB is enabled in the BIOS. Anyone can tell me why I cannot boot from the USB neither is recognized in the BIOS? do i need to put the BOOT mode in Legacy or leave it in UEFI?

Any help highly appreciated. I am very close to complete this..

Well I freaking did it! After reading all 147 pages I manage to find all the solutions to the issues I encounter. I have now my modified BIOS on my y510p laptop with the new 7260HMW wireless AC card flying like an eagle. Thanks for SVL7 for the work done onto this. I have send you a small donation to show gratitude and for you to get some beers on my behalf for your great work. Thanks again and Thanks Tech Inferno.

Ok I had a noob attack again. I got it figured out, I came across this site http://www.thecosmosphere.com/how-to-remove-bios-wlan-whitelist-from-lenovo-y410py510p/

and got it fixed. I found this tool http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/9856-Universal-BIOS-Backup-Toolkit

which got my bios copied properly. Now I am about to downgrade to 2.07 and see how it goes.

Finally! It worked! I am totally ecstatic! Thank you to everyone especially svl7 for figuring this out for the community of Y510P purchasers. Lenovo is pretty rude for whitelisting our systems. Sorry for the multiple posts. I hope whoever else is looking for this mod that these posts will help.

I have the same system as you, so did the BIOS flash work for you? I just got my 7260 today and want to flash my bios to get it to work.

Yes it worked perfectly after removing BIOS flashback restriction, and following the procedure on the1st page. I haven't had the time to dive into the unlocked BIOS and try to mess with voltage to lower the temperature, but the laptop is sunning well with the v3.05 mod.

Thank you SO MUCH for putting out this guide, as this guide was just amazing, and now my Y510p works like a charm!

If I could add one suggestion is that this was my first time doing this; I would like to see the steps more descriptive as to what you exactly have to do, since this procedure took me about a day to do because i have to figure out everything myself.

Other that, this guide saved my laptop for being a paper weight! Thanks so much! When I'm able, I'll buy you a beer! :P

Hello guys!.. I am doing this for my friends laptop after last week ago I manage to do it to mine. He has the same laptop but upgraded the BIOS to 3.07 How can we downgrade the BIOS so this mod can work? Any reply highly appreciated.

I'm not sure what I did, but I attempted to under volt the processor by what I thought was a tiny amount (1 out of 1000). Now the laptop won't boot.

I've tried unplugging, removing the battery and holding the power button in for a minute, but still nothing.

Any suggestions on resetting the BIOS?

Edit: After speaking with Lenovo and my laptop being (barely) under warranty, they said I would need to send it in for a motherboard replacement. I come from more of the desktop world, so I'm used to being able to do a CMOS reset to correct my mistakes. I didn't realize that a mistake on this laptop was so destructive. Lesson learned.

it appears to not be letting me "run the included .bat file from an admin command prompt". When i run the bat file as administrator, the command prompt window opens for a split second and then it's gone and nothing happens..

Does anybody know what to do?

Solved: had to put the .bat file under "system 32" folder