m14xr2 -> A14 (graphic/mainboard upgrade)

DeniZ66

Hey guys,

i would upgrade my graphic card the gt 650m with the gt 750m or gtx 765m from the alienware14.

i know the gt650m is build to the motherboard, but it is possible to replace the chip with the new model?

if not. can i replace the r2 motherboard with the a14 board? will it fit to the case and would the alienfx work normaly?

sorry for my english :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have stuck with 650m than because I got my m14x on 3y credit in January this year, I am worrying it will not handle next gen games as already struggle with battlefield 3. Maybe I should invest in ps4 or xboxone as I got another 2+ years before I apy for mine. I am worrying for future. I suffer from depression btw. It was not fair I paid 1200GBP for my m14x when they pulled out new a14 with much beter graphisc just a few months later. :(

Welcome to the real world where refreshes and new models arrive every 12-18 months. You had the choice of waiting or buying when you did. You choose to buy and you got your R2 several months before those who waited for the new models. That's not a matter of fairness. That was your choice, the same choice that anyone who buys computers has to make.

GTX 765m is not "much better" than GT 650m. It's incrementally better. The SPU and clock specs look good on paper but in actual use, with real games, 765m functions as an overclocked 650m with more SPUs -- because it is an overclocked 650m with more SPUs. We won't see "much better" until nVidia starts shipping the Maxwell GPUs next year.

PS4 and Xbone will have about as much processing power as a mid-range Core i3 which means what you have is already several times better. AMD's Jaguar FPUs? They're for netbooks. They're made for low price and low power consumption, not for performance. Don't get me wrong. I love AMD's Fusion architectures of which Jaguar is the latest iteration. It's just that Fusion is terrible for high-end gaming. But then, neither Xbone nor PS4 are for high-end gaming. They're for the iPhone generation of social networking and media sharing.

If you're having problems with BF3 then it's not the GPU. It's something you've done or haven't done. Install the latest nVidia drivers. Set the game to use the nVidia GPU instead of the Intel IGP.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have reinstalled windows several times used all different drivers - even now I am using nvidia experience to optimize games I am using 64 Gb ssd for system too (I have had motherboard with GPU replaced because previous was overheating ), I have tried windows 8 (damn crap btw) maybe I should not use 2 hdd's maybe that's overheating whole notebook well I do not get results I think that I should get from i7 and 650m 12GB ram. I have just tried bf4 beta and it is kinda slow I get unplayable fps unless I use low settings and reduce resolution to 1024x768. I bet that will work perfectly on next gen consoles. I also have always been pc gamer mainly sinee I was 4 only got that xbox360 as bargain and flashed it strait away so that does not cost me much (anything) to play games on it. I do not know but I have always stand for PC before but it seams consoles are becoming better for gaming. Of course I will keep PC for games like starcraft 2 and plenty of other games. Or maybe Steam OS will bring something that will revolutionize PC gaming because like u said I got better processor and graphics than next gen consoles, just coders do not know how to use it perhaps. I do not know what to think about that game controller steam is working on. Love my Alienware anyway I used to have phenom 1055t with radeon hd7950 before in HAF 912 case all water-cooled was happy with results but PC is not very portable - had to get notebook instead. I just do not know what to think anymore and hate my job so much.:confused:

The only thing you can realistically do is flash an unlocked bios and overclock the GPU. You should be able to match an overclocked 750M because they're the same silicon with slightly different clocks.

Radeon 7950's are great aren't they? I've got a couple in my gaming rig.

The reason your having FPS issues is that your machine is using the integrated video (HD 4000) rather than than Nvidia 650. To change this, download nvidia inspector, use the profile manager to delete the profile for BF4. Then Set BF4 to use the same profile as a game that works such as BF3. Or, just set everything to open with the nvidia dedicated GPU in the nvidia control panel. Either way you HAVE to delete or modify the profile for BF4 using nvidia inspector. Then it works fine. I had to do the same thing for GW2 and for Neverwnter nights mmo and for my bluray software.

You should get 30-40 fps on medium for bf3 beta.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it funny how most people eat up these "updates" to product lines. Intel and Nvidia know what they're doing, updating their systems in a "tick tock" fashion.

Intel 2xxx series + Nvidia 5xx series upgraded to Intel 3xxx series (tock) + Nvidia 6xx series (tick) then upgraded to Intel 4xxx (tick) + Nvidia 7xx series (tock). It would be much more groundbreaking if they released their /huge/ updates to chipsets at the same time to provide the largest speed increases.