Overclocking ASUS G750JH GTX780M

Hi

How can I the GTX780m with Afterburner overclock more as +135 mhz? Currently I have set in Afterburner +135 / +700 mhz.

Can I overclock the CPU too? If so, how?

Temperatures are very good.

3d Mark 06 about 27000 points

I cant edit the Bios with Kepler_BIOS_Tweaker_v1.25

sorry for bad english^^

• 1 month later...

I have the same G750JH w/780m and am also looking for ways around the 135+ barrier. Looks like a new vbios may be the only route. But to answer your CPU question, a lot of people have suggested the Intel XTU (Xtreme Tuning Utility) to up the multiplier on their CPU's. This worked for me and I was able to raise it a couple notches. Not a lot but a couple hundred mhz is a couple hundred mhz. :)

You don't need a custom bios to be able to go beyond +135 mhz, you can use nvidia inspector to do it.

Can you explain how this is done? As I have used Nvidia Inspector and the same +135Mhz limitation is there. It seems to be the same on all GPU clocking programs (MSI Afterburner, Asus GPU Tweak, Nvida Inspector, EVGA Precision, ect).

I would love to bypass this limitation without having to touch the vbios. Any info greatly appreciated. :)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a 780m vbios that will work for the G750JH Asus laptop? I believe I have found one here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

But the files in the second post I do not have permission to access the files posted. I have 6 posts and can access other downloads. I also dont know if those are inaccessible due to the new "downloads" area, but I haven't been able to find a GTX 780m vbios in that specific area. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Asus is also not one of the manufacturers listed for that modified 780m vbios and just want to make sure it would be ok to give it a whirl once I can get access to it. I can submit the needed info for a vbios to be made up, but dont want to waste anyones time if a previous 780m vbios will work? I know Asus is somewhat different since they dont follow the MXM spec and a lot of their boards have the chips soldered to the mobo. Not sure if this also poses a problem?

Just new here and looking for a little assistance. Any info greatly appreciated! :)

So I would like some input. I have been trying various vbios iterations from Klem (which I greatly appreciate!) via email, but I havent been able to overclock The G750 any better with the modified roms, and normally the overclocks are actually worse with a modified vbios.

I have a few questions:

1. Should I be doing anything with the "Power and Tempature Target" in Nvidia Inspector? I have seen the default values change with different vbios iterations from Klem. So Im not sure if this is something I should be messing with?

2. On the stock rom, furmark will show the GPU speed but will state "(THROTTLED XXXMhz)" right next to it. I notice this does not show up on modified roms. Is the throttling removed with the modified roms? (even though it is throttled, I think its good to note that my 3dMark score is higher, on stock, even if it is throttling).

3. I can only get a bump of 60Mhz or so on a modified rom. Anything else throws up a driver reset. This is with furmark or 3DMark.

4. Still not sure what a safe amount of voltage would be to add.

5. Should I be able to hit +135Mhz on a modified Bios if I can hit +135Mhz on stock without any trouble?

This is my first run in with a Kepler based GPU, so forgive the noob questions. Thanks for all the help!

Running through many more revisions of a vbios with Klem. We're trying to find the best options. With his permission once we are done I'll post the final product. All the credit goes to him, I'm just testing his products! Thanks again Klem!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, no way, can't try on my own laptop, I have the 765m version, not the 780m.

I have a friend with 780m one, but looks like he doesn't want to hear about bios updates.

btw, why is the size 123KB? Shouldn't it be like 6MB or so?

I have a friend with 780m one, but looks like he doesn't want to hear about bios updates.

I have tried the Bios and can say it works. However the results have been a mixed bag for me. With my laptop anyway, it seems the GPU likes to throttle. Klem posted a pic of where his Bios mods have been used in other laptops with great success and great scores, but throttling limits the benefits for me. I went through many different revisions and just could not get one that would get around throttling. It seems after +135Mhz, the GPU will start to throttle at different times of 3DMark, I raise the GPU clock, it throttles more, so the end score would be lower with higher clocks. I started messing with the "Power and Temperature target" and tried raising the percentage past 100% and started to get lockups after 105% where the screen would go black, laptop would what seems like power off, and then the fans would go to what sounded like 110% with a black screen, Really loud and audible for the G750 which I have never heard them do even after hours of gaming (almost like some kind of thermal protection?). The GPU would reach about 82c or so according to the GPU-Z logs before it would go black.

So Im not really sure what to think from this point. It could be due to the GPU being soldered onto the mobo in the Asus machines? Im just guessing really. The G750 I have comes with a 230W Power Brick. I know the MSI Dragon laptop I think comes with a 180W with the 780 which I know some have said is a limiting factor when overclocking. Could the 230W possibly be a limiting factor on this Laptop?

I may mess with it some more in the future if I get bored. I do greatly appreciate Klem's help! Sorry for the late reply, real world issues just came about. :)

EDIT: If somebody else gives the Bios a go, please post your results! I would be interested to see if anyone has more success then I have.

• Bios Modder

6Mb - is all main bios, but 123Kb in archive is only video bios which need flash with NVFLASH.

Can you try dump your file video bios with program CPU-Z or nvflash?

I've Just flashed this BIOS onto my G750JH with the 780M, and this BIOS works great, before overclocking I noticed the gpu wanting to throttle less than before, and I've just oc'ed to +150mhz (1000mhz) core, ran firestrike, noticed no artifacts, the gpu only throttles back to 850mhz after firestrike has finished writing and the max temp so far is 71 degrees, I'll have to play around for a little while and see how well this thing can OC

Firestrike "Stock" 5026: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Firestrike +150 5515: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

• Bios Modder
I've Just flashed this BIOS onto my G750JH with the 780M, and this BIOS works great, before overclocking I noticed the gpu wanting to throttle less than before, and I've just oc'ed to +150mhz (1000mhz) core, ran firestrike, noticed no artifacts, the gpu only throttles back to 850mhz after firestrike has finished writing and the max temp so far is 71 degrees, I'll have to play around for a little while and see how well this thing can OC

Firestrike "Stock" 5026: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Firestrike +150 5515: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

This new super version. And of course you need in Nvidia Inspector set the slider of temperature to 92C.

Thanks, The New Super Version works great, stock speed is now 954mhz and after half an hour of playing Assassins Creed 1 @ 1045mhz highest gpu temps are 72 degrees.

Firestrike Super 5357: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Firestrike +100 5648: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

• Bios Modder
Thanks, The New Super Version works great, stock speed is now 954mhz and after half an hour of playing Assassins Creed 1 @ 1045mhz highest gpu temps are 72 degrees.

Firestrike Super 5357: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Firestrike +100 5648: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700HQ,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JHA

Can you set memory +400, and run bench again. And how much score in 3D Mark 2011?